Thread: $500-$600 electric

I've been toying with getting a 4 or eight string electric mandolin, most likely a 4, and was wondering what would be a good quality instrument in that price range maybe used if I have the patience?

Ron Lira of Honest Ron's Guitars makes them for slightly more. I just received a custom one that he built for me about a month ago.

Here's a link to a picture of one:
    Honest Ron Mandolin

He has a walnut one in the shop for $650. It's been there a while, he might take less. He also has a single cutaway, mini-LP body style in the shop for $750.

I've been very pleased with mine, although I have Ryder pickups rather than his standard Duncan mini-humbucker.

Hi,
    A Bluestar Mandoblaster goes for $637.50 at Elderly instruments new without a case. I have a purple 5 string that I like a lot. I guess I'd sell it for $610, delivered, with a hard case. You could take off one of the strings and have a great 4 string. In your price range, the mandoblaster is about the surest thing that I'm aware of. The fretboards are rock solid, they have a low action, and they stay in tune. I had to spend roughly twice as much to get an emando that was better.
    Good Luck...
    Forget with the cowbell, already...

Thanks for the responses. I knew that mandoblasters were an option, and thanks for the Honest Ron recommendation. I've been considering maybe going with the 5 but not quite sure yet. I know I can get something nicer if I look at going in to the $1000-1200 range which may still happen.

Andrew Jerman is building some pretty nice-looking ones for less than $500. He's here on the Cafe (thistle3585) and has a new 4-stringer on eBay (xroadswood).
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

This is my first attempt at trying to post an image on the board so we will see if I read the instructions correct, but it is the in progress pic of a soon to be mine Jerman 2 point emando. It's going to be a 4 string. I can't wait!

Thanks to all who responded to help me on my quest, I appreciate it. I will post a pic once it's done, and soundclips on my soundclick page once I get some done. It should only be a few weeks before I get to enter the Emando world
    I have to say too that Andrew is an awesome guy!

Very cool. I don't get down to Shelton much. Think you'll have it by Wintergrass-time?

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

If all goes well I should have it by Wintergrass. You can contact me the week before and I'll let you know. I won't have an amp by that time, but if you want to check it out, and I don't have anything going on we could meet up at Guitar Center in Tacoma and I'll let you check it out.

that'd be cool ... it'd be nice to review one of Andrew's instruments.