Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mandolin lessons :(

Don't let anyone tell ya that Monroe never set his mando on fire. Word on the street says that someone came in and saw it burnin', so they put it out with a fire poker.:laugh:
    Good Pickin', Steve

Quote Originally Posted by (Mandy-Man @ Feb. 02 2007, 19:43)
    Don't let anyone tell ya that Monroe never set his mando on fire. Word on the street says that someone came in and saw it burnin', so they put it out with a fire poker.:laugh:
    HuH?

Quote Originally Posted by (mandomadman @ Jan. 23 2007, 17:56)
    Just be sure to dust your guitars off once in a while.
    Amen to that!

My guitars are throwing dirty looks at me from their cases across the room, and they've been doing that for over a year now. But I have played with enough folks to understand that real musicians can and do switch instruments, frequently.

Oh no, my guitar doesn't play second fiddle to nothing (I don't have a fiddle yet). I still love my guitar.

Here are some books that I picked up to go along with my private lessons...gotta keep the up and down picking on track right?....1..Mel Bay's Mandolin Scales and Studies"....purely scales, just like piano,...but one of those necessary evils of learning, 2 Fretboard Roadmaps for Mandolin...a lot of chord patterns and the like, havn't used it much as yet, seems a little complicated 3...the best thus far in that I'm using it as a lesson book and like the way it's set up Greg Horne. I'm a real beginner but so enjoying the manodlin...Greg Horne's books go up from beginner, to intermediate, to advanced, so you should find something that is where your're at in your ability. There's a lot on the up and down picking and strumming and Im glad I'm getting that at the beginning instead of a year down the road. THat's where the teacher comes in. I see mine about 3 times a month and it's been so helpful. I'm taking in a workshop in Groton Mass in April and feel I'll be prepared for it by then.

Here are some books that I picked up to go along with my private lessons...gotta keep the up and down picking on track right?....1..Mel Bay's Mandolin Scales and Studies"....purely scales, just like piano,...but one of those necessary evils of learning, 2 Fretboard Roadmaps for Mandolin...a lot of chord patterns and the like, havn't used it much as yet, seems a little complicated 3...the best thus far in that I'm using it as a lesson book and like the way it's set up Greg Horne. I'm a real beginner but so enjoying the manodlin...Greg Horne's books go up from beginner, to intermediate, to advanced, so you should find something that is where your're at in your ability. There's a lot on the up and down picking and strumming and Im glad I'm getting that at the beginning instead of a year down the road. THat's where the teacher comes in. I see mine about 3 times a month and it's been so helpful. I'm taking in a workshop in Groton Mass in April and feel I'll be prepared for it by then.

Quote Originally Posted by (Yeti @ Feb. 02 2007, 20:39)
    Oh no, my guitar doesn't play second fiddle to nothing (I don't have a fiddle yet). I still love my guitar.
    Ok now my guitar does play second fiddle. I love my mandolin. I get up in the morning and pick a tune. I pick a tune before I go to bed, and in between I pick some more tunes. The mandolin and I just seemed to click.