Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jumping the gun on a purchase

Just for sake of conversation and to maybe ease my mind I wanted to ask have you jumped the gun on a purchase to realize that with a little more research you might have been satisfied?

I will start. In November I got the bug to get a new mando. So I asked a few people advice, since I don't have a good mandolin store around internet shopping was my option, especially since a Cedar Top Weber was what was recommended me. I traded my 2 Webers for one. Initially I was thrilled about the mandolin, but lately I've been thinking I should have went for a mandolin that would be more suited to my style of original and Jazz material. The Phoenix Neoclassical was around the same price point and for a little more cash, time and patients I could possibly have worked out a way to get into the Phoenix Jazz which I've come to realize would be my dream mandolin. Live and learn...but what a lesson....I'm old enough to know better....well maybe not

Yup. I bought a beautiful East Indian rosewood Collings Winfield guitar about nine months ago. It was by far the most expensive thing I've ever bought except for cars and houses. I'd been looking for months, particularly at a Collings D1 that grabbed me every time I went into the shop where it lived. Probably should have bought the D1, but I was taken by that rosewood tone and put my money down an hour after I found it.

Don't get me wrong. I love the Winfield - no plans to sell it. But it's not the best choice for most of my playing, and it will take a few years before I can afford a mahogany buddy for it of the same caliber.

I'd been eyeing up an Eastman x14 model for sometime, when I saw a used 614 w/an upgraded Cumberland Acoustics bridge. Asking price was $750. I couldn't pass it up, the price was the same as a new 514. Add in the the better case and the bridge...well I bought it.

My other mando is a Rigel, so to my surprise the 614 had a flat fretboard and skinny frets. Panic set in quickly. The mando was in great shape and sounded wonderful, but I worried about playability. I gave it a chance though and my technique is starting to catch up. I have to be more exact with the Eastman, which isn't a bad thing. Playing on the Rigel is even easier than before. So I guess that's an unexpected bonus.

I don't regret getting the Eastman and it's getting at least as much playing as the Rigel. But I was worried/surprised at first.
    Charlie Jones

Clark 2-point #39
    Rigel A Natural

i bought an '23 F2 last week that is in good condition, and then i check e-bay today and see 1925 (or 26) F2 that looks like it has been played twice in 81 years! i am extremely happy with the one i have, it's in great shape and has a wonderful tone, but it would be nice to have an F2 that looks almost new (with a truss-rod, no doubt!) oh well, guess you live and learn
    Wes
    "i gotta fever...and the only prescription is more cowbell!!"

'87 Flatiron A5-JR/'25 Gibson A-JR

Yes, I did this last year when buying a guitar. I bought a beautiful Cort guitar because I got seduced by its stunning bubinga back and sides. It is a lovely guitar, but it didn't take me long to realise that it was really slightly larger than I wanted, so I ended up spending a lot more on one that fits me much better.

I'll take a big hit on the Cort when I sell it, but it was all part of the learning process that led me to my perfect guitar.

Fliss

A common symptom in the modern world. Buying/owning is often used as a replacement for thinking/learning/waiting.
    You are fortunate to have learned the difference. Some folks never learn and never will.
    Curt

I've heard this same problem can happen with marriages too...
    Mike
    1916 A-0 Pumpkintop Paddlehead
    1924 A-1 Blackface Snakehead
    1968 FG-140 Yamaha Guitar
    1992 48K Franz Sandner Fiddle
    www.FreePickin.com

been there...its how I got my first mandolin...my Weymann mandolute. Might have even done it a few times since too...hehehe. I do always try to hold out for a good deal that way my MAS fund stays funded. Its the nature of these beasts!
    Look up (to see whats comin down)

Well, I'm thinking about a D'Angelico EXL which they're BLOWING out now at an absurdly low price, but given my guitar playing skills, I think this could constitute jumping the gun. Not yet (tick, tick, tick...)

A few years back, I bought a Rigel A+ when I really wanted a Collings MT1. The MT2 was too expensive. The MT1 was discontinued and I even contacted Collings about it and was told, no, we are not going to be producing it anymore. I bought the A+ and then six months later, Collings comes out with the MT. I wish they had told me that when I asked about the MT1. I would have waited.

Had I known how much I would appreciate my Mid-mo's, I might have held off buying my Weber.

If I had held off, I might not have bought that Weber at all. Maybe today I'd be picking on an Old Wave or something less-scrolly and less-F-holey.

OTOH: I took my sweet time in search of my latest guitar and have no regrets at all. D-18GE = GAS No More!

When i decided my first F-2 wasn't loud enough in my bluegrass band, I bought (for $500) a fairly crude F-5 copy from someone in Buffalo. Can't even remember who made it. I had it less than a year, than traded the F-2 on the F-5 I own now. Luckily, I was able to sell the F-5 copy for about what I paid for it, but I shoulda held off and just purchased the "real thing."
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Blog Entries

I bought the Weber I own now because the price was right on it. I had to put some more money into it and its pretty sweet but I find myself drawn more to the oval hole sound more than the f hole. I like the Weber and would consider a trade since it sits in a case most of the time for an oval holed Weber but... may just hold on to this one as it is very nice. Maybe for one of my kids when they get older... or not...

Perhaps jumped the gun?

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

I have no regrets buying any of the five mandolins I have right now. They all have their special qualities, and I feel like I researched them out, and got great deals on all of them. I almost bought a Master Model, which if I had, would have been a mistake for me: I was tempted by MAS, but overcame it.

Terry--I've seen your Youtube videos and I don't think I'd regret that mando. Seems to have a good sound for what you're doing, and I'd also add that you're going it well. I'll be downloading that CD soon.

Steven E. Cantrell
    Campanella A

Steve Thanks for the complements..Thanks for listening to my music....those videos have the 2 I traded for the one I have now........

yea Terry, I second that comment above..great pickin on all those tunes!!! Im sure ya sound fine on what ya have and im sure you'll find a way to get something else ya love too!

Thanks mandolooter I appreciate the words of encouragement and the complements. The cedar top is nice sounding. I may just have to get used to the brightness of the maple and put more hours on her. At least now I think I know what I want. May be awhile before I get it, but goals are always good.

Thanks to all who have posted so far. I hope to hear more stories....

I guess what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger. #I've done some major "gun jumping" in my mandolin buying/selling/trading time. #I've been foolish enough to take the word of a "hypemaster" on the Cafe once or twice, and ended up the loser. #Thankfully, most of my MIA mandolins are now in the hands of other Cafe members. #Regrets: #Collings MT and MF, two Old Wave A's, a very good F5G Wideneck, F9, Flatiron Festival, a good Kettler F, and a great Givens A6 that ended up with its old owner. #The good thing about all the not-so-well-thought-out trades/sales is that I've definitely got a much better idea of what I really want, and I got to try many different makes and models, including Weber(six different models), BRW, Arches, Garrison, Kentucky, Eastman, Morgan Monroe, MK, Gibson, Old Wave, Collings, Wynn, Washburn, Mid Missouri, Flatiron and more, all on a modest salary. #I'm a much better mandolin shopper now, and it went a long way towards #helping me control my MAS (at least as far as buying/selling frequency goes). #Right now, I've only got one, but it's a great one. #Frank

FJ Russell

Es mejor morir de pie que vivir de rodillas. E. Zapata

Wow Frank...you've been thru quite a few...lol! My question is...what do ya have now and are ya happy with it?

Givens A4. Plain jane, almost ugly color. Beats any mando I've owned so far. Frank
    FJ Russell

Es mejor morir de pie que vivir de rodillas. E. Zapata

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I think all of my mandolin purchases have been "jumping the gun". #I was really buying alot of mandolins in 2003 and 2004, mostly MIJ (made in Japan) stuff. #It was lots of fun and I learned alot. #Noted exceptions include my impulsive purchase of my 84 Flatiron A5-1 from Gruhn - a mandolin that I have today and love. #Another exception was when I bought a Stanley (it may have been #7) in 2004. #I got this mandolin for a GREAT price (considering where they are today) and upon receipt realized I had no business with a mandolin of this quality. #It wasn't that I was unworthy it was more like I said to myself if I was to spend this kind of money, maybe I should just have somebody build me a mandoiln (i.e., rather than buy one that was already built). #I returned it in my 48 hour trial. #Was that a mistake? #Well, there is a 'cafe member that has it now and loves it and the cost certainly would have been to my advantage. Oh well. . . . .

What I did instead was to order a mandolin from Larry Muth - another impulsive purchase. #I faced a 1-1/2 to 2 year wait, but I was able to spec what I wanted. #Neck width, depth, wood, color, hardware, etc. #The price point was lower and I figured I'd have a few years to save, get better and, well . . . . wait. #I must say, during that wait, I didn't buy another mandolin. #Now that I have it, I'm very pleased and it's a great mandolin! #I'll never say it's better than that Stanley, I'll never say it's better than my Flatiron. #I really did like the experience of ordering and I hate to say it, but I relished the wait (well sort of. . . ).

I feel that my MAS is cured. In part living through some gun jumping is (was) part of it. #I'll also say, somewhere in the mix, you just have to focus less on the stuff and more on the music. #That's the hard part, 'cause buying is much easier than playing.

Now don't start talking about guitars, please.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

[QUOTE]I'll also say, somewhere in the mix, you just have to focus less on the stuff and more on the music. That's the hard part, 'cause buying is much easier than playing.

I agree. I'm still trying to find my voice, but it's hard when without a 8 hour trip there are bassically no mid to high end mandos. I would love to sample a bunch of mandolins to find the one that fits my music and the future of my music. My current project is a solo mandolin, all instrumental, no overdub project and I'm not convinced yet this mandolin is up to the challenge.....could be I'm not....

I've played a couple of those cedar topped Webers and was mighty impressed with each of them. #I really can't imagine a style of music they aren't well suited for. #A good F5 mandolin is a very versatile instrmuent. #If I remember correctly, weren't your other two Webers mahogany?? #I think you just need to get used to the new sound. #And remember, probably 95+ percent of the mandolins made are out of maple. #Not that there's anything wrong with other tonewoods but the sound you have in your new F5 is probably much closer to the predominate sound of an F5 mandolin.

Shaun

I really liked the 2 Weber cedar top F5's I played a few months ago. You may want to put on some D'Addario EXP74's to darken up the tone. That has worked for me.
    Keep it acoustic.