Thread: Tenor guitar question

I hope in this section you guys discuss Tenor Guitars once in a while.

I saw the tuning for DBGE for a Tenor. What string gauges would you put on the tenor if you wanted to tune it DGBE? Normal guitar strings? Also if you tune the tenor to DGBE does it make it easier to play music written for the guitar?

Was just wondering, thanks.

Tenor guitars were designed to be tuned like tenor banjos (or mandolas): CGDA. The tuning you're considering is actually the tuning of a baritone ukulele. On the other hand, no supernatural power will be offended if you experiment with other tunings. I would consider the top four strings of a light-gauge guitar set. Alternatively, you can use baritone ukulele strings, but these are usually nylon, and won't exert the same kind of force; since you're actually lowering the tension on the top of the guitar by going to DGBE tuning, you probably want steel strings.

And yes, you will be able to use regular guitar chords -- the top four strings -- and play along with guitar music.

You might want to visit www.tenorguitar.com for more about these rare and interesting instruments.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by (What_Key_Is_That @ Jan. 17 2007, 22:16)
    I hope in this section you guys discuss Tenor Guitars once in a while.

I saw the tuning for DBGE for a Tenor. #What string gauges would you put on the tenor if you wanted to tune it DGBE? #Normal guitar strings? #Also if you tune the tenor to DGBE does it make it easier to play music written for the guitar?

Was just wondering, thanks.
    If I were to tune my tenor to DGBE I'd use regular guitar strings, but a heavier guage than I normally use on guitar. The tenor being a couple inches shorter would need a little more meaty strings.

I don't know if tuning this way would be any easier, frankly, for a couple reasons. First, music written for guitar is rarely limited to the top four strings. Secondly, you're losing a fair amound of range. The DGBE tuning is only 9 notes (open D to open E) where CGDA is 13. That extra range comes in handy, especially if you tune it down to GDAE like an OM.

I have a 22-3/4" scale tenor and I put .045, .033, .023, .012 strings on and tune GDAE. The low G is 3 half-notes higher than the lowest note of the regular tuning on a guitar, but the high E is the same as a guitar. I practically have the full range of a 6-string guitar but with only 4 strings.

If you were concerned with tension there are string tension calculators available online where you plug in your scale length, string guage, and open note. You can even enter your desired tension to determine what guage you should use for any given tuning. Just google string tension calculator to see what you can do.

Just some thoughts.

Best,
    Ken
    Less talk, more pick.

4. The following members say thank you to Ken Sager for this post:

Registered User steve V. johnson's Avatar

I have here with me a '30's Kalamazoo tenor guitar, an archtop, that a friend has loaned me to play with, buy or sell.

When I got it from him he had it strung with light flatwound strings and tuned DGBE, and he had messes with some D tuning that had an F# in it (DAF#D maybe?), and he played it in that '30's sort of percussive rhythm style. Said he had a lot of fun with it, but that it wasn't "his" (I expect that we know what he means... <G&gt.

I asked if I could change the strings and he allowed as how I could do whatever I thought would be good for it, so I used four of the strings that I use on my Crump zouk, tho the zouk is 2.4" longer in scale. .042, .032, .020w, .016. Of course I first tried GDAD tuning, but went to GDAE pretty soon. The D on the high string is nice for zouk, which has more jangle in partial chords, but it seems that the E up high is nicer for more melodic, mando-type playing.

I doubt that these string gauges would work well for DBGE, tho. I'm sorry, this isn't a direct answer to your DGBE question, but maybe there's something useful in it...

I don't think I'll keep this one, either and I'll probably put it up for sale some time soon.

All the best,

stv
    steve V. johnson

Culchies
    http://cdbaby.com/Culchies
    The Lopers
    Ghosts Like Me
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers1
    There Was A Time
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers2

I personally prefer the 5ths tunings and have found a few of my tenors prefer CGDA while others like the GDAE. I tried the tuning you mentioned but never having played a guitar found it to be a bigger learning curve than I wanted to deal with. I second the tenor guitar site above and also the tenor guitar yahoo group here
    Tenor guitar registry
    Look up (to see whats comin down)

The guy that writes the Tenor Guitar Chord Genius Books, has one out on DGBE. I would agree thou you are losing notes, but I would think a lot of guitar solos would be the top 4 strings. So you could just follow the guitar tabs. It was an idea kicking around in my head.

The other idea about using DBGE on a normal size guitar, you would need hands the size of King Kong to play a lot of the bar chords. Since I do have a lot of tenors, I was going to try it as an experiment.

Thanks for all the input.

I have a 50's Harmony Tenor, that I love, I put on some of the MArtin Silk and steel strings, the top 4 from the guitar set, and it works well for DGBE (I think this is called Nashville Tuning, or something like that...my brain is frozen from all the ice here) and CGDA, it is too light for GDAE, though... I bet if I ha dkept the other two strings, I could have used the middle 4 from the set and strung it like an OM, which i will when these strings die, since transposing is fine at home, but not so much in a jam (I want to have fun, not work in a jam!)

Default Re: Tenor guitar question

I am in my 70's and have not picked up a guitar for 40 years (even then I was a novice). I tried recently and no longer have the strength or flexibility to hold down the strings or stretch across a wide neck on a 6 string guitar, even nylon are a challenge. I enjoy singing folk music, rock and roll from the 1950's and would like to strum along. I have been researching 4 string tenor guitars - looking at mini size and cigar box. I am not sold on ukuleles but would consider. I would appreciate any advice including: easiest to play, type of strings, tuning, brand and model suggestions, etc.
    Thanks in advance, OldJoe

I would get a baritone ukulele in your situation. Easy to play and great to sing along with. Kala makes some excellent bari’s. Tune it standard DGBE and use the strings that come with it to start.

11. The following members say thank you to bruce.b for this post:

OldJoe 

I can provide some clarification. There are multiple tunings available for the tenor guitar.

The most common is the tuning in fifths. CGDA. The next one some people call Celtic tuning which is the GDAE. Mainly because you can play along with the Irish Gigs with the same tuning as the violin. The tuning that you're referring to is called Chicago tuning DGBE. Basically it's the same tuning as the top 4 strings of a normal guitar. A lot of guitarists like that tuning. The Baritone Ukraine tuning that was mentioned above is actually GCEA with a low G string. That's the ukulele tuning that a lot of people are familiar with. There are other tunings DADA, EBEB, etc. Most of those are specific to an artist tuning.

As for me, nothing beats the projection and the beauty of the CGDA tuning, but there is no right tuning. As you can see, there are many ways to tune it.
    (I was) my own teacher and pupil, and thanks to the efforts
    of both, they were not discontented with each other. -- Segovia

Lawrence Smart Stern 2-point Mandolin
    Lawrence Smart Stern 2-point Mandola
    Weber Gallatin Mandocello
    Weber Gallatin Soprano (Piccolo) Mandolin
    Breedlove Prototype Mandolin

Baritone ukulele tuning is DGBE, same as the top four strings of a six string guitar. The tenor ukulele is often tuned GCEA with a low G string.

14. The following members say thank you to bruce.b for this post:

OldJoe 

The baritone uke suggestion sounds ideal for you. I think the egonomics would work really well in your situation.
    Steve

16. The following members say thank you to Steve L for this post:

OldJoe