Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Loar for sale

I will join this little curve in the thread to tell my little Mike Longworth story. I was deep into ukulele building several years ago, and before the WWW was active, had a little email newsletter called the "Worldwide Ukulele Forum" Mike was a member and we would correspond about all things Uke and Guitars and pearl inlay, as Mike was one of Martin's top inlay guys for some time. I only met him in person once, 1978, but his generosity and grace was not limited by distance. What a wonderful man!

..and for those inquiring minds, the "L-5" inlayed in the fingerboard of Lester Flatt's guitar stands for Longworth No. 5 (at least that is what I have been told)
    Darryl G. Wolfe, The F5 Journal
    www.f5journal.com

As I recall, Mr. Longworth was the craftsman who installed the beautiful inlay on all D-45s for some time; a very tedious task, but a labor of love. Wasn't he the Martin historian, as well?

Dittos Steven!

I think Mike resurected the D-45 by converting D-28's to 45's before they were being offered by Martin!

Story was, that when they let him go, he strolled over to one of the historic guitar displays and promptly reminded them that the D-45 he was taking belonged to him. A friend of mine now owns that guitar!
    Linksmaker

That's right Darryl(hey hows it coming?)and Curly Seckler had the "L4" in his F4 done at the same time. Anybody know who has L1,L2 and L3?

I always heard that Earl had one of those "L" blocks in the fretboard of the JW Gower neck of 9584, and that after Mike inlaid it in there, Earl didn't like it and told Mike to take it out. Coulda been L1, L2, or L3....

Earl was concered about a little ole L? in his fancy inlayed Granada fingerboard but yet praised Gibson for putting a bowtie fingerboard on it? Hmmmmm.....

Hey Tom - you questioning Earl!

Saw where your nephew put a little cash in his pocket this weekend! Probably enough to buy a Loar!
    Linksmaker

2nd place would get him a nice cheap Loar indeed! Lots of expense in winning that chance. Hard to say what he put in his pocket after taxes. He's my 2nd cousin.

$155,000.00 ??? Dollars????
    -Soupy1957
    Breedlove Crossover FF SB
    “The weather was so bad even my iPhone was shaking!”
    -SDC

Sorry I messed the relationship up - guess you won't be getting the normal "uncles share" of the winnings!
    Linksmaker

His purse winning was $200,750. Not bad for hitting a little ball around as hard as you can for 3 hours and then ride in a 4 wheel cart to go after it. After paying his caddy and entrance fee,etc and the tax man he'll barely pay his living expenses in that big house he lives in near Tiger's house in FL. Luckily has does not have MAS

Tom - you should know that the PGA players (except the Champion's tour) walk and don't ride in carts. Tripp had to walk for four straight days to earn that 200K. After taxes, caddy fee, and entry fee (diddly squat), expenses, he still probably cleared well over 100K - probably enough to make a few payments on his house near Tiger. Oh, you forgot about all of those endorsements these guys get!

I still think he should buy his second cousin a varnished fern!
    Linksmaker

Evidently he has never used this sentence: #"What band you pickin with, now?"

To go back to the subject of fingerboard inlays...I was under the impression that Gibson installed that "bow-tie" fingerboard on Earl's banjo when he'd sent it in just for a refret, and that he was very unhappy about the change. #Another example of the old "unasked-for refurbishing" by the factory, like Martin did by overspraying original finishes on customers' guitars when they were in for any repair. #And we all know the story about ol' Bill's Loar of course.

We're fortunate to live in a time of many highly qualified luthiers so that our repair wishes can be communicated directly and the prevailing repair ethic is "least change is best."

Gibson may have displeased Mr Bill one time , but Charlie Derrington came through for the instrument at another.

It is something to see the tribute to Mike Longworth, reminds me of what was said here when Mr Derrington died.

It doesn't mean much, what I say about myself. It is what others say about me that counts.

Yesterday, I got to hear and play a 1959 Martin D-18 that was modified by Mike Longworth. It had banjolike inlays on the fretboard, a big torch like inlay on the headstock, and a wider neck. It was a killer sounding guitar and didn't sound a whole lot like a Martin D-18.....and it hadn't been played in almost 20 years. Very cool.

-jonathan
    And now for today's weather....sunny, with a chance of legs

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe." - Abraham Lincoln

My father has a 54 D-28 that I have known all my life. One day I asked him what the "L" inlay on the fret board stood for. He informed me in the 60s he let a guy do some work on the old box and the L stood for Longworth. I had the pleasure of meeting Mike, very nice fellow. My father and I spent the day at his house and he had very interesting storys.

By the way the old d-28 is the best guitar I have ever played!