Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is left of the 1st generation bluegrassers?

Been thinking more about the state of Bluegrass music. Who is left besides Ralph Stanley from the original 40's Bluegrass Music scene?

Depends on if you mean the "superstars" or the sidemen that helped them create their sound. Jesse McReynolds and Bobby Osborne would be in the first generation still getting it on. Others like Earl Scruggs, Mac Wiseman, Jim Shumate,Curly Sechlor, etc. are still getting it on performing. Others still living but not playing anymore. I don't know if there is a span of years that would category the first generations but I would think anyone around from 1939(The year Monroe broke away from brother Charlie and started the Bluegrass Boys) to about 1949 would fall into that first generation. And from 1950 to 1959 the 2nd generation.

I consider Bobby Hicks a 'first generation' Blue Grass Boy. His recordings on Monroe's classic songs and tunes clearly put him in that position.
    I don't think anyone would consider Jimmy Martin other than first generation either, even tho he did not play as a BGB until after 1950. R.I.P.
    And I believe Bill and Charlie split up in 1938.

Frank Wakefield, Ralph Stanley

Charlie Louvin still pops up on the Opry every now and again and can still sing pretty darn good for an 80+ year old!
    Molon Labe

is Charley Cline still alive?

Registered Something good_ol_al_61's Avatar

Yeah, I got to see Charlie Louvin November 11th. He can still bring it. He had a great 3 piece band and Valerie Smith sat in for a couple of duets.

Priceless.
    Al Henderson
    Jacksonville, FL

"Only two kinds of people never make mistakes: Dead people and people that do nothing!" [Al's Dad]

'81 Gibson F5L Fern, J Rowland
    '07 Arches A Style #11, "Hoss"

Registered User OlderThanWillie's Avatar

This question makes me think of Kenny Baker & Larry Sparks. Do they qualify as 1st generation?
    OTW

I didn't think Charlie Louvin was Bluegrass...but classic country. I don't remember them having a strong banjo presence and they used a lot of steel guitar, drums, etc... even back in the day.
    Jim Ellis
    Mandolin/Mandola = Made in Montana, USA
    http://www.VaBluegrass.com/

Louvin Brothers music is not bluegrass, Tho it is sung a whole lot in Bluegrass bands. Great stuff, but just not bluegrass. I might consider Baker 1st generation, but not Sparks.

How about the Stonemans?
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I thought about them some after seeing I think Ronnie's picture in the BU magazine . They were raised on it but pop is gone. I'm not really sure about what influence they had on Bluegrass that far back. That was one cool video on youtube though ( with the girls with those boots etc. or the dresses.

Registered Something good_ol_al_61's Avatar

Jim and Bowfinger:

The Louvin Brothers in the early 50's were bluegrass and doing a lot of original stuff. They didn't do alot what is considered today traditional bluegrass because the genre was all considered country at that time. If you could have heard them do "I Don't Believe You've Met My Baby" in 1955-56, you would hear the driving banjo, mandolin and family harmony that is the backbone of bluegrass IMHO. When AKUS remade that song and changed the gender, they slowed it way down, changing the sound completely. It was in the sixties that the Louvins went more electrified as did many bands of that era. So you are correct that they were classic country and had many more hits during that time. But thier roots and early performances were bluegrass, being born at the foot of the Appalachian Mountin range in Alabama as was my father.
    Al Henderson
    Jacksonville, FL

"Only two kinds of people never make mistakes: Dead people and people that do nothing!" [Al's Dad]

'81 Gibson F5L Fern, J Rowland
    '07 Arches A Style #11, "Hoss"

Let's not forget Paul Williams and Hershell Sizemore. They set the standard for the non Monroe bluegrass mandolin styles. How about Earl Scruggs? Many of the originals have left us, but there are still a bunch around. If you get a chance to hear any of these, grab it. While there are some great young pickers, these guys set the standard and can still play it! Oh, I forgot about Allen Shelton. Wow. He even makes a banjo sound good!
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

Buck White? I don't know if he plays a mandolin much anymore, but I saw him at the Opry over Thanksgiving on the piano.
    Play, play, play!

Jacob Hawkins

I don't consider the Louvin Brothers as Bluegrass, nor do I think that Charlie would make that claim. #They were a "first generation" brother band (guitar and mandolin) as were many others who preceded them such as Bill and Charlie Monroe, the Blue Sky Boys, the Wilburn Brothers, and many others too numerous to remember or mention. #The Stonemans were definitly Bluegrass in the later yeats with Scotty playing the fiddle , Roni on the banjo and pretty little Donna prancing around in her cowboy mini-skirt (it was enough to make a young man fail to notice that she was really a fine mandolin player). #This was in the D.C. area in the early 60's. #Pa Stoneman sat in the back playing the autoharp, and I think the name of the place they regularly appeared at was the "Alamo".
    BRW #12
    BRW #61
    Kentucky (Korean) 675

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

Just picked this up off of the bluegrass blog...

Wanted to pass along to the Bluegrass Blog community the following
    unpleasant news which was posted on the BanjoHangout this afternoon by
    Judy Osborne: Sonny had a mild stroke Saturday. He's in a rehab unit
    already and doing well. As of now, no further information has been
    released, but I am sure Sonny and Judy could use all the positive
    thoughts and prayers any of us so inclined might have to offer.
    2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

Quote Originally Posted by (good_ol_al_61 @ Jan. 10 2007, 18:09)
    Jim and Bowfinger:

The Louvin Brothers in the early 50's were bluegrass and doing a lot of original stuff. They didn't do alot what is considered today traditional bluegrass because the genre was all considered country at that time. If you could have heard them do "I Don't Believe You've Met My Baby" in 1955-56, you would hear the driving banjo, mandolin and family harmony that is the backbone of bluegrass IMHO. When AKUS remade that song and changed the gender, they slowed it way down, changing the sound completely. It was in the sixties that the Louvins went more electrified as did many bands of that era. So you are correct that they were classic country and had many more hits during that time. But thier roots and early performances were bluegrass, being born at the foot of the Appalachian Mountin range in Alabama as was my father.
    I believe the Louvins went electric (on record, that is) in the 50's.
    Tragic Songs, Capitol: 1956?

Buck is a mighty fine mandolin player! Last year at SPBGMA he and Roland White sat and jammed for about five hours. Man, talk about some picking! Buck knows more about swing mandolin than nearly all the rest of us put together! It was a time to remember. I'm hoping SPBGMA is a spectaular this year. Let's not forget Curtis McPeake either. Also, ther is Tut Taylor. I saw him a couple months ago and his age was certainly beginning to show. Hopefully he is feeling a bit better. Let's also not forget Rual Yarbrough. Still lots of the greats with us.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

I just did a show here in Salisbury with Tut Taylor the week after Christmas and he was doing fine. Still pickin' and hanging in there and we didn't cut him any slack.
    Send me your email and I'll shoot you a band shot of the new Tut Taylor Band.

I think to put all these above mentioned people into the first generation you have to come up with a cut-off date to qualify, meaning they went into bluegrass music not learning from another first generation. Clearly Earl Scruggs qualifies as I mentioned before and he is still living. Any bluegrass banjo player had to come after Earl including Sonny Osborne and Alan Shelton with the exception of Don Reno. They heard Earl and then started picking making them 2nd generation. Same for Bobby Hicks who first came on the bluegrass scene in 1954. He learned from many others before him like Chubby Wise,Vassar Clements, Jim Shumate, Tommy Jackson, Red Taylor, Benny Martin,Howdy Forrester,Gordon Terry, etc. Now there is no doubt Hicks put his own stamp into the early recordings and many followed after him in his style. Is Charlie Cline still living? He was way before Hicks.

Some who have been playing over 50 years:

Mac Martin

Curly Sechler

Eddie Adcock

Benny Birchfield

Jim Shumate

Don't know if these all qualify as "first generation"...?
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I mentioned Curly and Jim as being first above. Eddie learned it from Earl and Don so he don't count. I'm pretty sure Mac and Benny would not qualify but I did noticed in your reference photos of Benny there is a rare old photo of Mike Seeger and his rarely seen in public 20's Blonde Fern F5. And a nice photo of Bobby Osborne's 20's Fern when he first got it from Bailey when it was in near mint condition.

Didn't I read (BU)where Eddie claimed Don learned his "new" style from Eddie? Lots of twist in that banjo who's first discussion. I Hate to hear that about Sonny.

Not one mention of Melvin Goins ! He,s still going strong !
    ken froman