Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pickups

I have been doing some checking up on several different pickups the K and K, schatten, and the scherlter(used by Thile)? Has anyone had any experience with these pickups good or bad? and any recommendations on any others?

Try the AKG C411.

Just checked up the mic. what kind of price range is it? Is any well known mandolin players using this mic yet? it seemed like a new product, any comment on the other brands I mentioned?
    custom yellowstone weber

The AKG C411 has been out for a while, possibly longer than the Scherlter. #No experience with them though. #Price is around $145.
    Charlie Jones

Clark 2-point #39
    Rigel A Natural

I don't know if mike is still there but if so how is the akg on the low end? The mandolins that I have played in my experience have a problem getting the natural sound with enough lows? Any comment on the Kand K or the schatten?

custom yellowstone weber

another question, any one have any experience with a good acoustic amp for a mandolin. Tried the fender, roland, crate, fishman, and marshall. Any other recommendations with experience?
    custom yellowstone weber

AER acoustc amps.

Don Grieser, it's time for you to enter the game, are still using the AKG? Thru the AER I get the most natural sound that I've been able to get yet when not just miking my axe.

Don't know why that last post says my webpage--it is a link to the Akg C411 page

Yesterday the low frequencys was spoken of , and I'll offer :
    a Tonegard #on the back, helps bring out the lower frequencys , because the whole body is allowed to vibrate better , which helps the lower range .

My Schertler being attached to the soundboard, and being a microphone, will provide a way to send that full sound to your mixer, and then it can combine, with the freestanding microphone #to give you a nice range of tones to blend together . #narrower pattern small diphragm pickup #may reduce feedback .

Large diaphragm one may be hearing too much in a live setting without drapes on all the walls or some way to kill reflected sound, digitally..

AKG C411 is also a contact microphone, of condenser type mechanisim,
    and may be more affordable. its power supply requirements are limited to 9v. #listed in accessories, there is a voltage regulator connector that allows phantom power to be used which is varied in voltage output .
    seems required , but not in list price ..
    . . . . . . . .
    Roland AC 60 seems like a good acoustic amp, small enough in size, it can also serve as a pre amp, a monitor, #and has a #powered sub woofer out jack #for all the bottom end you can desire . phantom on mic channel; feedback supressor too..
    run the Schertler Dyn M, thru it,.. if I use the matching transformer I can put it in the 1/4" channel which has a magnetic/ piezo switch.
    In That one seems there is a bit of de-quacking .
    & when the 'dola 4 string #electric #comes out, #the humbucker #goes in there , the other switch position, and still have a microphone channel, left.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Someone earlier was speaking of the aer amp and akg mic, are you refering to the akg c411? If so do you recommend using a preamp with this mic? Are you also saying that the compatability of the akg is pretty equivalent to the schertler for the money?

Because the AKG C411 is a condensor mic a pre amp is pretty necessary. I use mine with a PreSonus Blue Tube and am very happy with the results.

Wayne
    Smile Anyway

I use the AKG C411 into an Art Tube Pre for phantom power and the ability to turn it off to the house for tuning. It's got plenty of low end. I usually have the treble rolled off a touch on the board. As natural a sound as any pickup I've heard, but I sure would like to get my hands on a Fishman Aura to try out.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Thanks for the advice I have an ART condenser mic and tube pre-amp that I have used and have some trouble with feedback that is why I am looking into pickups such as the schertler, the AKG c411, and the schatten. I have heard some negative feedback about the bridge pickups as far as not getting a natural sound as much as with the stick-on pickups. If anyone has any comments about the schertler or schatten I appreciate it also.

Any one have an opinion on bridge pickups such as the fishman ect.
    custom yellowstone weber

the F5 Lebeda mandolin of mine #has a bridge insert #piezo pickup ,
    sound? it would do for a floor pedal tuner #signal.
    the one Schertler is fitted to any of several mandolins , so I could have bypassed on installing pickups on any of them . .

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Can anyone tell me what kind of pickup Adam Steffey uses?

On the AKG C411, do most people use it for non-permanent installations (take it off after a gig)? Also, how is the cable at the end of the pikup terminated, I think I read it is a mini XLR. I do not know if I have seen a mini XLR. My pre amp (Raven Labs PMB-1) has 1/4" input jacks.
    Tim
    Passernig F5

Raven is thinking guitars #and dynamic mics #are what the majority of their customers use ?. #they can use 1/4 fine.

the Mini XLR is on the in-line #voltage regulator [for no more than 9v dc]
    that AKG makes, for that pickup. ' MPA III L'

so then, with a phantom power supply, [or the battery one AKG makes ,
    for 9v snap connector battery] you can then adapt the signal from balanced 3 #to 2 conductor 1/4".
    Life with the Dyn-M is so much simpler , as there is no need of phantom power.

XLR to 1/4" is a common adapter{I have one that matches impedance to use inputs expecting High impedance signal] ; #it would appear by using the mini xlr, you have to get the regulator / connection #adaptor so you don't toast the pickup with excessive #48v phantom output.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

So are you saying the mini XLR is physically the same size a regular XLR and would fit in a typical mixing console? The Raven Labs has phantom power for a mic, it is a blender type of pre amp - one input for a standard pickup and one for a microphone. I am concerned if could plug this straight into the Raven Labs pre amp (I have an XLR to 1/4' adaptor) or if I need the adaptor from AKG, would not want to fry the thing. Also, I believe the cable is only 10' long, which a little short, but would work.
    Tim
    Passernig F5

Reading further on the #website #[and revising my previous post] #
    You buy AKG's optional accessory," MPA III L " # which is a voltage regulator and it limits the phantom output to the C411 to keep from frying it .

you have then both halves of the mini XLR pair

then you can plug the mic cable from the mixer into the MPA 3 L ...

the mini XLR, I can assume, is to prevent you from just plugging in direct, destroying the pickup in the process #from #the potential over voltage feed.

Adding:" B29 L" # will #Mix in #2 C411s or a 411L& a 417L a Lavalier minimic
    [2 mini xlr inputs] and battery power both, #and has a line/mic output switch, > standard mic cable connector .

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

79 Weber,
    The last I knew Adam Steffey was still using a DPA 4061 microphone.
    http://www.dpamicrophones.com/

Where are people mounting the AKG C411, on the bridge as AKG seems to suggest, or on the body. Where on the bridge or body are people mounting them.

Thanks for the input.
    Tim Terral
    Tim
    Passernig F5

After experimenting with different places on he top and listening to the sound, I usually put mine on the top just in front of the bridge on the upper bout side. This may depend on the instrument, what you like to hear and who knows what else. Just experiment.