Thread: Attention classical players

In case any of you missed it, the Fall 2006 issue(Volume 8, Number 2) of Mandolin Magazine features a cover article about the German classical virtuoso Caterina Lichtenberg. I remember finding a similar post here(months ago)about an online interview with the wonderful British mandolinist Allison Stevens. I followed the links and finally got to hear Allison play via internet on the BBC,also learned about her career and style from an informative interview. So in that same spirit of discovery I make this post about the article in MM about Ms. Lichtenberg. Mandolin Magazine also has a regular classical column written by yet another renowned virtuoso, Marilyn Mair.

The article comes from an interview I did of Caterina this past May in Bamberg at the Zupfmusik(Plucked String) Festival. I was there to perform with my jazz trio, and Ms. Lichtenberg appeared with "Trio Delicado"(Latin style music) and "Quartetto MaGiCo"(classical music, two mandolines, two guitars..)In between workshops and concerts we had a chance to talk about her career, education, approach, etc for the magazine.

Another friend from Germany, Marlo Strauss, has released a new CD of his original compositions. It's called Die Farbe Rot(The Color Red)I'm pretty sure he's planning to announce it's release in more detail here at the Cafe, but I will say it gives a good snapshot of German mandolin style, as many of the most respected players(Marga Wilden-Huesgen, Gertrud Weyhofen, Caterina, Marlo himself,Marijke Wiesenekker, and more)appear on the record. The subtitle seems to be "Works for mandolin and guitar"

So I hope you don't mind this invasion by a jazz and bluegrass guy here on the classical board! I stand in total admiration of all of you who can play or even (like myself) just attempt to play the literature...maybe this will be the year I can finally figure out how to play authentic sounding ornaments! Oh well, at least the ornaments on the tree were nice...

Thanks for listening, and Best Wishes for a great 2007: The Year of the Mandolin! The Year of...Good Notes!

Please, invade with more frequency. #I am a great fan of Ms. Lichtenberg...and yourself.

Hi Don,

Great to meet you here again!!! Two months ago somebody asked about the last issue of the Mandolin Magazine and I referred to your article about Caterina, but may be I had to draw classical section attendees` closer attention to this article.

Here is the topic i`m talking about.

Anyway, good that you did this instead of me. I`m sure it`s not only Eugene and me that love your playing. So, come and visit more often!

Best,
    Plamen

I read your article with great interest and look fwd to Ms. Lichtenberg coming to the US again one day. And I echo the invitation to you, Don, to stop by anytime. We like mandolin players of all types here.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Hey, hello, Don! I enjoyed the interview, thanks!
    Mandolins:
    Mid-mo M11 (#1855)
    Ovation MM68 (#490231)
    New flute CD:
    Wellsprings 2: Joyful!

Hey Don, good to see you over here on the dark side. Your article on Caterina was excellent. I hope Mandolin Magazine will run some more features on classical players in the future.

Make yourself at home here whenever you want. You're right that, whatever the style or technique, we're all just looking for the Good Notes.

John G.