Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a unique mando...

I'd like a mandolin for ice fishing... and water and cold are a big part of that in this neck of the woods. So... what would work? I think I am thinking cheaper then say carbon fiber, but are there even any options for a cheap pile a crud, that sounds like ####, is playable, but can withstand time on a Wisconsin lake in January?

I would say any mando that is cheap enough you don't care too much about what happens to it. Cold itself won't really hurt a mando. The problem comes in when a mando gets cold and gets warmed up too quickly. Then you can get finish checking and possibly other problems. So I would just find a decent beater, well set up. If you get a crack or two, don't worry about it. That is what beaters are for!

I don't know why someone does not build a commercially available, well constructed, well intonated "camping" mando out of HPL.
    You know Martin makes a guitar out of HPL (think kitchen counter tops) with a plywood neck (they call their plywood Stratabond). I built a flattop mando with HPL back and sides. I have thought of building another one with an HPL top as well and calling it a camping mando. Maybe I still will.
    Bill Snyder

Maybe Peter Mix will loan you one of their new carbon fiber models for product testing. It would be make a great commercial ad.
    Keep it acoustic.

The problem in your neck of the woods are the neck and the woods. I'd say get a disposable beater because no decent mandolin deserves that kind of treament. Bring your ipod instead.

If the environment is warm enough for bare fingers it should be warm enough for any mando but like Johnny said, it's the transition in temperature or humidity that you have to look out for.

Ouch - even with a beater that would be like keeping wood stable in a sauna... a metal body would be nice like a "beater" National or that bed pan based mandolin. Of course then you have to worry about freezing to it.

Always wanted to know: Do you guys really store the grubs in your mouth to warm 'em up before you bait the hooks?
    Mike
    1916 A-0 Pumpkintop Paddlehead
    1924 A-1 Blackface Snakehead
    1968 FG-140 Yamaha Guitar
    1992 48K Franz Sandner Fiddle
    www.FreePickin.com

Take a round tin fruitcake box and put a neck & tailpiece on it. Strings and a bridge and your set. Where do you get the parts? Start out with a Rogue "A" from Musician's Friend. Play it till it gives out.

That kind of temperature and humidity and other exposures could ruin an instrument. I recommend you take a banjo ice fishing.......take several.

Didn't Bussman make one that looks like a fish?

There's a Kent w/HSC for $85 in the classifieds here in the Cafe'.

Quote Originally Posted by (testore @ Dec. 19 2006, 19:33)
    Didn't Bussman make one that looks like a fish?
    "Lloyd Lure" if memory serves
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs
    "The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead"

Anyone ever see that Antiques Roadshow where a widow takes in her late husband's Pre-war Martin 000-45? She claims her husband was a real cowboy and would sling his guitar over his shoulder while riding!

Point is ... instruments can survive a lot of harsh outdoor situations. Likewise, they can be ruined by an hour inside your car while you shop at the mall on a sunny afternoon.

I'm not suggesting anyone take their prized axe out fishing, but I'll take a Mid-mo anywhere without fear, without babying.

Attached Images Attached Images  

My Nicely set up Martin Backpacker has migrated to the back pages of the Classifieds.
    a nice sturdy design. its quite a fine, dont leave home without one Instrument.

and a rousing playing of 'Fishing Blues'
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

No question. An Ovation (even an import model will do). If you have to knock any fish unconscious, you can use one of these and it will still play in tune. If you fall through the ice you can use it as a paddle and/or a flotation device.

These are very versatile!!
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

"Always wanted to know: Do you guys really store the grubs in your mouth to warm 'em up before you bait the hooks?" Naw we just use Gummi worms to make you warmbloods think we are tough as nails

What are the materials in an ovation?

Ken Cartright (mandomedic) had a mandolin made from a commode, ask him about it. #I played it and it was a nice mandolin, very loud too. #I would think it would do well in the cold.

Quote Originally Posted by (mandroid @ Dec. 19 2006, 17:57)
    My Nicely set up Martin Backpacker has migrated to the back pages of the Classifieds.
    a nice sturdy design. #its quite a fine, dont leave home without one Instrument.
    Wasn't a Martin backpacker guitar taken to the top of Mount Everest?

Quote Originally Posted by (Nolan @ Dec. 21 2006, 12:24)
    Ken Cartright (mandomedic) had a mandolin made from a commode, ask him about it. I played it and it was a nice mandolin, very loud too. I would think it would do well in the cold.
    And very useful in camping situations!
    Mandolins:
    Mid-mo M11 (#1855)
    Ovation MM68 (#490231)
    New flute CD:
    Wellsprings 2: Joyful!

Quote Originally Posted by (mandohack @ Dec. 19 2006, 21:56)
    No question. An Ovation (even an import model will do). If you have to knock any fish unconscious, you can use one of these and it will still play in tune. If you fall through the ice you can use it as a paddle and/or a flotation device.

These are very versatile!!
    All good suggestions, 'hack, but an Ovation is probably the last axe you'd want to consider taking out into the cold, Wisconsin winter. The difference in coefficients of expansion (and/or contraction) between the wood of the spruce top and the "Lyrachord"™ composite back would probably turn the thing into a combination plastic soup bowl/wooden place mat before you yanked the first fish outta the ice!

...but, then again, that's probably just the engineer in me talkin'. The "well-lubricated" fisherman in me would quite naturally say "Go for it... and pass me another beer, too!"

BTW...... "hi!"

m'dude
    "Ah, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now." -Bob Dylan

get a cheat Rouge from Musicians friends, I have one, they are playable...go for broke and get the two pack acoustic guitar and mandolin for $99.00 (the guitar is a nice cheap guitar) sell the guitar on ebay and make your money back
    Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

http://prancing-pony-agency.freeservers.com/

Nice Jacob! Ya I am looking forward to ice fishing this year and just wanted to combine some practice time... heck up here we even build fires on the ice... (Yes, here in central WI, we have one of the larger concentrations of Polish folks!) Ya, I am actually keeping an eye out on those carbon fiber ones.. if Mr. Mix wants some advertising or just wants to come fishing he is more then welcome too! (When will those be for sale ?!?!?!)

I grew up in the Badger State and went ice fishing enough times to know what it means to be cold and that mandolin music will absolutely kill the appetite of any fish within 34 feet.

Blog Entries

I have a real hard time combining my two passions, fishing and mandolin.

In a camping trip for fishing I am so focused on the fishing, the waters within hiking distance, the strategy for tomorrow, what fly to use, where to get access without spooking the fish I intend to catch - all of that fishing stuff I do - that it would be hard to enjoy the mandolin. In a camping trip for a music festival, I am into the music 100%, and wouldn't dream of going fishing.

I have never brought my mandolin on a fishing trip - to me it seems as awkward as bringing my 8 1/5 foot 6 wt fly rod to a jam session.

Perhaps I need to loosen up, be more open to multi-tasking.

All that being said, I like the idea of getting two or three beaters - those Rogues might fit the bill.

Jeff
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....