Thread: Tkl rectangular cases

Greetings,

The other day I was visiting a local luthier and he had a mando in the shop with a TKL 'vintage' case. I liked the look of the case, and the fact that you can hold a few items in it. Currently I use an Eastman fiberglass case, which is small, very water proof, light and great for air travel. I really like it. However, you cannot hold much in it at all.

The cheapest I found the Vintage case is $200.00 and the Professional case is $130.00. Other than the leather covered handle and, I think, the number of plywood layers, I don't see a lot of difference. Could someone who has seen both of these cases post some feedback regarding the differences. Also any thoughts on TKL rectangular cases in general is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I have one of the TKL American Vintage cases. I believe that the leatherette covering is heavier on the Vintage series, and the case lining is deluxe and a nice vintage green color. The five-ply construction is very strong; my eight year old daughter has stood on it without any ill effects. The leather handle is very comfortable. I purchased the case from Elderly for $180.
    When 'good enough' is more than adequate.

3. The following members say thank you to Givson for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by (Givson @ Dec. 13 2006, 17:21)
    I believe that the leatherette covering is heavier on the Vintage series, and the case lining is deluxe and a nice vintage green color.
    Thanks Givson. I've been looking around and, as near as I can tell, the Pro case is 3 ply and the Vintage is 5 ply. I checked out Elderly and your right- the vintage green color is quite nice. Unfortunately they are all sold out and I was told it would be 3 months before they had more from TKL.

Are all the TKL American Vintage mando cases green inside? I found one at First Quality Music for $200 (in stock) but it doesn't say anything about the interior color. I like that it has an arched top 'and bottom' which is another difference between the Pro and the Vintage.

Hey Jason,

I currently have both cases. I got my TKL Vintage from Elderly. First Quality has the same case, but with a blue interior and they changed the locks from the snap-style with a key to the rolling combination style. I don't know if FQ includes an instrument blanket. Personally, I would go with Elderly just because of the vintage green color. I like the key locks better too. First Quality's price is $200 plus shipping. Elderly's is $180 plus shipping. My TKL Professional Series is for sale right now for $80 if you're interested. It is in excellent shape.
    Molon Labe

Quote Originally Posted by (45ACP-GDLF5 @ Dec. 13 2006, 21:34)
    Personally, I would go with Elderly just because of the vintage green color. I like the key locks better too.
    Thanks for the info and the offer but I decided to order the Vintage model from Elderly. You're right about the vintage green color. Green is my favorite color and that case looks really sharp for the $180 that Elderly is asking. They're currently out of stock so I put some money down to reserve one. I was told it could be 4-6 weeks by one guy and upwards of 3 months by another. At any rate I look forward to seeing it whenever it arrives.

Default Re: Tkl rectangular cases

Jason do you still have the case you said you'd sell for $80? The case I have now is the original shaped case from Gibson and it has just enough space for the mandolin, picks and a tuner. I want a case with room to accommodate my strap.

Keep a song in your heart,
    Lisa

Default Re: Tkl rectangular cases

I doubt that someone would still have a case they were trying to sell after 13years....this thread was from 2006.