Thread: Epiphone valve junior amp

I entered the music store expecting to buy some picks and was told it was "Epiphone Day". Everything that was Epiphone was reduced $50. I called their bluff and asked if I'd get $50 off the $99 Epiphone Valve Junior head. Bingo!
    This is Epiphone's 7-watt head (no speakers). On the front there's an input jack and a volume knob. On the back are outputs for a 4, 8, or 16-ohm speaker. There's one Sovtek 12AX-7 pre-amp tube, and a single Sovtek EL-84 power-amp tube. Must be a solid-state rectifier.
    I plugged the lil' tyke into the cabinet of a Top Hat Club Royale that has it's stock pair of Celestions for an 8-ohm load. Into the front I plugged a four string vintage Schwab tuned CGDA. It's sounds just wonderful! Articulation and sensitivity are excellent. Very quiet, very little hum. There's no tone knob but the balance was perfect. I turned down the treble on the Schwab about 1/3 the way. Bass response was very full, but not overpowering. At half volume and the Schwab just a hair below full volume the sounds were plenty loud and practically clean. With more volume the overdriven sounds come on gradually and really start to scream at 3/4 volume. Excellent tone from this little monster!
    I took off the back and replaced the tubes. In went a JAN Phillips 12AT-7 and an EI EL-84. The tone improvement was immediately noticable. The overdrive was smoother, less "grainy", and there was a little more headroom. Just for fun I replaced the EL-84 with the Sovtek and found the improvement was 95% due to the better pre-amp tube.
    I next compared the $99 Epiphone to a $250 B1uesboy point-to-point hand-wired "boutique" amp. This one has a single pre-amp, tube rectifier, and a single Electro-Harmonix 6V6. The B1uesboy has a boomy bass, maybe a little bit more articulation. I am a fan of EL-84 amps and this re-affirmed my tastes.
    I compared then to the Top Hat Club Royale, which is a 18-watt EL-84 powered beast, also a "boutique" hand-wired amp. Sure, there was more loud headroom available to it, and the Top Hat got a better variety of sounds from the Schwab's twin-humbuckers with coil-tap switches. But I kinda liked the lower power of the Epiphone better, though the TopHat has the ultimate touch-sensitivity and articulation.
    All-in-all I'd give the Epiphone top scores even if it were $200 or more. At a list price of $99, it's no more expensive than a quality pedal. Sure, you'll need a speaker cabinet but you can easily buy a very good cabinet with the speaker(s) of your choice and create an excellent sounding stack for very minimal money. Or plug into a the speaker(s) from your combo amp.
    I'm suspecting that with no tone controls, reverb, master volume, channel switching, etc., and just one tube for the pre-amp and power amp sections, the signal path is so short and uncomplicated that the difference between a point-to-point hand-wired boutique amp and a chinese circuit board amp become very negligable. I'm very pleased.

Oh, I did remember to buy a couple picks.
    Wye Knot

Did they use tube sockets with a yoke to hold the tube in the socket, so when you take it somewhere the contact is still firm... or just depend on friction and luck ?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Pre-amp tube has an aluminum turn-to-lock spring-loaded cover. The power tube has a spring-loaded retainer.
    Wye Knot

I've been eyeballing one of these, have not tried one yet. Sounds like you got a sweet deal. How much did you spend to upgrade the tubes and where did you get them. I assume they are easy to install...
    Please advise.

Thanks!

In the past I've suffered terrible AAS (Amp Acquisition Syndrome). #After acquiring far too many tube amps over the years I have a box of tubes. #Actually the EI brand EL-84 tube I stole from a TopHat Club Royale. #

Go to www.fenderforum.com # They have a wonderful forum with some great amp technicians. You'll easily find a good source for quality vacuum tubes there.

Yes, tubes are simple to install. Just be sure to line up all the little pins before pushing it in. They can bend. I keep a leather glove around too so I can swap hot tubes.

Wye Knot

I got one of these off ebay from a guy that makes them a "BitMo Spanky". He replaces/upgrades 4 or 5 internal components and upgrades the tubes giving it a much nicer tonal range from low to high volume. At low volume it is much cleaner and sparkely than stock. As you increase the volume it gets crunchy as expected, but w/ much better tone. I bought the entire head modded, however he sells a "Spanky" mod kit for this amp for $25.00 or so - WELL worth it. The stock amp is pretty cool, but can be modded to be MUCH better... I'm playing a Schwab 5 string and a Mann EM-8, I've been getting some pretty cool/crazy overtones, especially w/ a tube screamer and a little compression in front of it. Too much fun!

What's his/her contact info?
    Wye Knot

The guys name is Bruce Hutcheson (Sp?). Just do a search on ebay for BitMo Spanky. Right now he has a mod kit for sale. Read the description, it's pretty convincing, and only $25.00! TOTALLY worth it. I am seriously having a blast w/ mine, especially w/ a little compression and tube screamer in front of it....