Thread: Do drums play notes?

I know tympani are tuned to different pitches and must be retuned during a performance.

But what about other drums?

This year we've used a djembe player and it often sounds like it is producing a bass note which doesn't fit in with the key we're playing in. This is very off-putting.

I've never noticed anything like this with congo drums or a regular drum set for that matter.

Most drums are supposed to be "indefinite" in pitch, except for some situations where they are tuned to a pitch. Most drums are tunable, some more than others, djembe being some of the less tunable, I believe, but it might be possible to tune the drum differently so it doesn't bother you so much.

In our weekly Irish jam session the Bodhran (drum) player has several little tension adjustment contraptions on the inside of his drum that he uses a T handle hex wrench to adjust the pitch with. On more traditional Irish Bodhrans there is no adjustment and they tend to keep either a damp sponge or a spray bottle with water in it if the pitch gets to high they moisten the skin to lower the pitch.
    Keith

A djembe should be able to make a range on notes depending on the style of the slap and how you apply pressure to the top. On traditional djembes the tension can be adjusted by tightening the diamonds of the rope holding the skin down. Congas use 2 or 3 different pitches, usually tuned in 5ths I believe. Bottom line though is it really shouldn't make too much of a difference.

russell
    Bulldog F #5

Quote Originally Posted by (mandolinkgn @ Dec. 09 2006, 00:27)
    On more traditional Irish Bodhrans there is no adjustment and they tend to keep either a damp sponge or a spray bottle with water in it if the pitch gets to high they moisten the skin to lower the pitch.
    The real "traditional" way to do it is spray it with beer!

Drums do have pitch. #we're just not used to being able to identify the pitch with such little sustain (on most drums... tympani being the obvious but not only example). #Congas, for instance, are typically played in pairs that are a minor third apart (between the high and low congas). #On a djembe, it is the low tone that has a more audible (to us) pitch than the slap tone... this is where having a tunable drum comes in handy. #Sometimes tuning a drum is about getting the right tension on the head for the most effective response to various hand strokes. #Like with mandos, most drums have a kind of "sweet spot" where the tension on the head, size/shape of the body and technique of the player is just right. #And sometimes tuning really is about pitch. #I have played with groups of drummers where there the pitches of the drums play off eachother in such a way that they create a nearly melodic line/phrase. #

I respectfully disagree with the "it doesn't/shouldn't make a difference" approach. #When a drum is played with melodic instruments or voices, one can usually tell when it is out of tune with the melodic instruments... it sounds like that is what's happening in Richard H's group.

What to do? #Depends on the drum. #If it is tunable with a mechanical adjustment (hex wrench or some such...around the rim), then try adding or decreasing tension to get a different and more in-tune pitch. #If the top rim is attached with rope, then "pulling the diamonds" may help...but there is less precise control over what the new pitch will be. #If the head is skin (vs. plastic) the tension and pitch can be affected by heat and dryness (to tighten and raise the pitch) or moisture (to loosen/lower)... which is a rather imprecise way of doing it, but worth a try. #Otherwise, look for a different drum or (dare I suggest it?) tune the instruments TO the drum.

KE

Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    Phoenix Neoclassical #256
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!

Many years ago we used to use a "duh-dup" which was a 2-note steelband drum. I don't know if it is possible, but it seemed as if the drum used to pick up the notes from the bass and reinforce them. No matter what key or chord you were in.

I get the impression the same thing happens with the big foot drum in a drum set.

My problem with the djembe is probably that it is loud (and I'm often next to it and can't hear the chord instruments). We often practise with the guitar and cuatros unplugged and if the bass player isn't around, it sounds as if I'm playing lead over a one-note bass (in another key).

It hasn't been a problem when we're cranked up on gigs and can compete on equal terms.

Of course drums play notes. I have also heard some wonderful pieces played on drums that have been tuned to pitch. Including a beautiful version of "Summertime."
    Will Hardy

Ithaca Strings Instruments
    Mowry Custom Four String Electric OM (2 years or so)

Registered User steve V. johnson's Avatar

Absolutely drums play notes in pitch. #Probably the most common example these days of drum tuning can be heard on any big-time, major-label pop tune. #The drums will be tuned to pitch to complement the song at a particular tempo. # Great kit drummers (like my local pal the famous Kenny Aronoff) can tune a drum kit to be neutral to the song or to participate in setting the mood and emotional atmosphere of the song. The drum tuning can darken or lighten the mood of a song, or keep the rhythm working neutrally so that other instruments can set the mood without intereference.

For a first step, at the very least drum kits should be tuned 'to themselves' so that all the drums work in harmony with one another. #When they're not all together, a drummer can cause listeners to ignore a good song or can empty a dance floor by wearing folks out with the tension of the dissonance of the drum sounds.

Kenny teaches tuning first when he gives drum seminars, and addresses it early on when he's producing or recording in the studio. #It's time well spent at the beginning of a recording session, every bit as important as the right microphones in the right places, and making sure that the song is in the right key for the singer.

Since Keith mentioned bodhrans, I'll refer again to my wife, Min Gates, a brilliant bodhran player. #Her first drums were not tunable, except by the application of heat (to tighten and pitch up) or moisture (to stretch and pitch down), and we learned an enormous amount about how proper tuning affects the sound of an all-acoustic Irish trad ensemble. #She now plays a tunable drum made for her by Austrian maker Norbert Eckermann, and it's splendid. #Min actually plays pitches a lot by tightening or relaxing the drum head by pressing against it with her left hand inside the drum frame. #
    In fact, our cd starts the very first tune with Min playing pitched notes on bodhran.

Once when we'd played seven shows in three days, we were in our next-to-last set on Sunday night and a friend, who noticed Min nodding onstage during a lively set of reels, asked fiddler T.J. Hull at the break if Min ever lost tempo when she fell asleep onstage. #TJ replied that she -never- lost tempo, even when she was sleeping, but she did tend to play a bit out of tune.

Djembes and ashikos often tune with a sort of complicated array of cords, and some tie both the top and bottom heads together. #If the drum doesn't have a few little wooden pegs or clips wound into the cords so that they can be tightened (and locked in place to hold that tuning) #they can be made, and IMO, should be made and installed. It's not difficult, and if the drum doesn't have a tuning device, it's pretty easy to learn to make them from looking at pictures of traditional drums.

I didn't realize how much a good/badly tuned djembe could stand out and be unharmonious until a local middle-eastern dance band had a guest drummer sit in, and that fellow didn't understand tuning. #Man, it just scattered the groove. #It was just one short set before the band's regular dancers went for that young drummer and had some words with him about his tuning. #He had very good instruction and learned fast and the difference was remarkable.

We expect string players to be responsible for proper tuning, but folks often forget about drum tuning. #I hold drummers just as responsible as string, woodwind, brass or mandolin <GG> players for the proper tuning and general health of their instruments. #Gently, of course, and in a very supportive and encouraging way. #<GG>>

Thanks! Drum on!

stv

steve V. johnson

Culchies
    http://cdbaby.com/Culchies
    The Lopers
    Ghosts Like Me
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers1
    There Was A Time
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers2

More cowbell!
    John McGann, Associate Professor, Berklee College of Music
    johnmcgann.com
    myspace page
    Youtube live mando

Please none of those jokes...you know, the kind that refer to those people who are always hanging around with musicians.

(cue the rimshot)

hanknc

What are drums?

Drum Tuning Bible

And you thought tuning a mando is hard.

Tuning drums well is INCREDIBLY difficult! Heavens knows I'm not very good at it.

My drums (DW's) came in a matched set (they all have a particular tone that compliments the others). Each tom has a note stamped in it. When they are making the drums, they do a tap test on the shell itself and note the particular note the shell makes. When tuning, "if" I hit the right note the tom will ring forever and sound great. I have even used a tuner a few times and it works just like another instrument.
    Gary

I'm getting a bit confused here.
    I know drummers tune their various drums in some sort of ratio. But there's no time to retune between tunes. So how come they don't conflict when we're not in their key?

I just tried to find the pitch of my computer table with my Korg tuner. No luck. Then my daughter caught me beating on the bottom of the plastic waste-paper basket. No note either, but she's gone to tell her mother.

Will postpone further experiments until I can test the congas and djembe when we play on Wednesday...

With respect to bodhrans, as long as you keep the head pretty loose (which it should be), you can control the pitch pretty accurately with the hand that's inside the drum.

Wasn't Keith Moon the lead melody player for the Who?

The main thing with tuning the drums is making sure that the kit is in tune with itself. You don't want the toms to clash with each other. I was told to tune it as if you were singing
    "Here comes the bride". But I guess it's just like most other things, you can make it as simple or as complex as you want.