Thread: Just saw grisman....

He just finished up here in Va, The Birchmere, and what a show! If you have time, try to catch him on this tour, it is very good...later, dy.

I just saw him in North Hampton Mass a few nights ago. Great show except for the rude couple having a loud conversation for the entire show 4 rows back. I still don't understand why people pay money to see a great show and gab the whole time. Don't they realize they are ruining it for everyone around them?

i caught him at the troy music hall. it literally brought tears to my eyes it was so beautiful to my ears. highly recommended. as a special treat he brought out frank wakefield and boy is that cat a character on stage!
    2007 gibson f-9
    200X mid-mo [RIP] m1w

Saw the same show at the Birchmere. How does a human being move both hands that quickly and get such a pure tone??!! The expression on his face is like he's just standing on a corner waiting on a bus - like it's not big deal. Wow doesn't even cover it. I was so excited I forgot to have
    my picture taken with him after the show

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by (sean808080 @ Nov. 21 2006, 21:36)
    i caught him at the troy music hall.
    That must have been something. The Troy Music Hall has such fantastic accoustics, there is not a bad seat anywhere. I bet he sounded awesome.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Brentrup Evangelist Larry S Sherman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I saw him at the Calvin Theater in Northampton on the 16th. Great show. It was my first chance to see the Dawg in person. It really sounded great.

Larry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GRISMAN_sized.JPG 
Views:	194 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	19897  

Sean, WOW!!! Troy Music Hall show.. even being moved to tears, I know what you mean, I was moved to tears at the Symposium, Sam, David & Andy playing together...how often do you see something like that.....so seeing David & Frank together sounds like another rare mando meeting....do you know Dawg was Frank's student? What did they play together? Just mandos or with the band? With Frank being ill recently, and getting up there.....how many more chances will there be to see these two together! I'm envious, Aside from how crazy Frank was..tell us more............

Quote Originally Posted by (SternART @ Nov. 22 2006, 18:11)
    Sean, WOW!!! Troy Music Hall show.. even being moved to tears, I know what you mean, I was moved to tears at the Symposium, Sam, David & Andy playing together...how often do you see something like that.....so seeing David & Frank together sounds like another rare mando meeting....do you know Dawg was Frank's student? What did they play together? #Just mandos or with the band? #With Frank being ill recently, and getting up there.....how many more chances will there be to see these two together! #I'm envious, Aside from how crazy Frank was..tell us more............
    Was front row center for the Troy show. It was, as Sean said, a great show! I visited Frank in the hospital not long after his open heart surgery, and my son and I jammed with him and another friend/student about a month ago at his house, where he was doing well but had to sit down and take a rest after a while. But Sat. night when he came out on stage in his red western shirt and neckerchief, he looked about 30 years younger and seemed like he really was having a lot of FUN! They played New Camptown Races, of course, and I can't remember the other tune (CRS unfortunately). Maybe Sean or someone else can chime in with the answer.
    Howard

the song frank played was one i'd heard before on tone poets. it's called Backin' Playwards and it sounds like another tune (i don't know which) played backwards. quite a feat. the acoustics were fantastic and the majority of the show was grisman with his drummer, flautist (?), guitarist, and bass player. the quintet that he's played with for (some of them) almost 20 years.

frank wakefield was a treat to watch...such youthful energy. he said something like "i'm ready to get back to travelling now....that i've had my triple bypass..." he definitely lit up the stage with another type of energy and it was a great contrast to the dawg who is also a natural on the stage.

a highly recommended show, in case you didn't figure that out yet!
    2007 gibson f-9
    200X mid-mo [RIP] m1w

Thanks fellas, sounds like quite a show!....Frank lived out here in the SF Bay area back in the late 70's-early 80's
    I got to hang with him some, back when I was first starting to pick. Todd & Darol from the DGQ were sometimes part of
    his band.....once even opening for ol' Bill his own self, at the Great American Music Hall.

Quote Originally Posted by (sean808080 @ Nov. 21 2006, 21:36)
    i caught him at the troy music hall. it literally brought tears to my eyes it was so beautiful to my ears. highly recommended. as a special treat he brought out frank wakefield and boy is that cat a character on stage!
    This show is up at etree. Grisman It's bit torrent. In case anyone doesn't know, all's you have to do to download it is get bit torrent software from here first before clicking the link at etree. I just started downloading it now and it's running good. If anyone has any other questions pm or email me and I will help you out.

wow..that was fast and boy what a great show to offer up as a bittorrent. thanks!!
    2007 gibson f-9
    200X mid-mo [RIP] m1w

Anyone know what kind of mando he's playing now? I was at the Rutland, VT show. Sounded great...

Quote Originally Posted by (mdlorenz @ Jan. 25 2007, 09:43)
    Anyone know what kind of mando he's playing now? I was at the Rutland, VT show. Sounded great...
    Giacomel
    <a href="http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=13;t=38318" target="_blank">
    Topic 1</a>
    Topic 2

Now there's a mando that imo cries out to be a 2-pt.
    Jeff Rohrbough
    "Listen louder, play softer"

He makes a two point. Very nice designs. I'd love to show up at a bluegrass or old-time jam with one of those!

Shaun

It looks like some of the joints and pieces shrank when he accidentally ran it through the clothes dryer.

Quote Originally Posted by (acousticphd @ Jan. 25 2007, 13:50)
    Now there's a mando that imo cries out to be a 2-pt.
    it cries out to be owned by me

Well I've had it about ten days, and after four days of buyer's remorse I'll say the tone is just incredible. The neck and fingerboard are certainly large, but my other which was large when new now seems small. Not so sure about the tailpiece yet, although it does seem to have the effect of an armrest because of it's height.
    It's ugly, but it's mine, and really sings!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Giacomel_5606_copy.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	21099  
    david blair