Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Like a prayer

No, not a mando version of the Madonna tune! # #I just picked up mandolin about a year and a half ago, but since I'm a guitarist I've achieved a tiny bit of proficiency on it.

Took it to church last night. Now, one of the reasons I love mando is because it seems like a sanctified little instrument, perfect voice for gospel music. So we were playing. We started a tune I don't know, in 3/4 time, key of D. Mandolin home, right? So I'm playing little fills, etc., people are singing and praying - the pastor signals me to play a solo. I usually refuse because I don't want the attention on me, but it seemed right, so I did.

This is not me bragging, o.k.? But it was just a blessing. I tried to play something worshipful and prayerful, using my somewhat limited chops, and it sounded good, and right, and several people said they were blessed by it. So this is more of a testimony, for those of you familiar with the concept. Just wanted to share with folks who can relate.

"I'm your density."

Chad, Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work.
    "Can I have a little more talent in the monitors please?"

There's something in music that is not of this world, perhaps a reflection of the creator, a more pure emotion, who knows? Call it what you will, it can bring together and move large groups of people (in a positive direction) like nothing else.
    Sounds like a beautiful service.

Chad: Amen, brother!

Santiago: It is no mystery, we humans are meant to worship God. He gave us music for that purpose, that is why music touches our souls, whether we recognize our Creator or not.

I, too, played in church yesterday. The first servive was a little rough (hadn't played much in the past month), 2nd service was much better. Mix of some bluegrass chopping to more celtic-flavored strumming and picking. Fun, and got positive feedback from several people.
    Eastman 315
    Epiphone MM-20
    Martin D-16H
    MIJ reissue 62 Strat
    Gregory Furan custom L-49

Quote Originally Posted by (Kirkola @ Nov. 06 2006, 09:49)
    I, too, played in church yesterday. #The first service was a little rough (hadn't played much in the past month), 2nd service was much better. #Mix of some bluegrass chopping to more celtic-flavored strumming and picking. #Fun, and got positive feedback from several people.
    I haven't plyed mando in church in a while; about the same time I snapped the headstock of my Rogue (necessitating the purchase of a new mandolin - oops!) I got asked to take over bass, which is also one of mine, for the a.m. service. But I went last night (we don't usually) and took my new Mid-Mo. Sounded great thru a mic, unlike the Rogue. Guess I got inspired.
    "I'm your density."

No joke, I had almost exactly the same experience yesterday (Sunday)

I'm a guitar guy, until about 6 weeks ago when I bought a new mando and got serious. I've played a couple of gigs and two other Sundays (playing a little rhythm).

Yesterday I did a solo on David Crowder's "Only You" and also on his "Stars". I got a little lost in the worship and messed up a lead line I was playing, but I only know one friend who caught it.

Wish I could have seen your service.

Played guitar with my friend Bob on banjo for an Episcopal church service two weeks ago (oh, those down-home, gospel singin' Episcopalians!). Brought the Gibson Army-Navy along just in case. Choir director asked, no warning at all, "Can you play Edelweiss?" Improvised it as best I could -- turned out he needed a little "traveling music" to get from the piano at the front of the sanctuary to the organ at the rear.

You never know where a rudimentary knowledge of Broadway tunes on the mandolin may take ya...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Chad,
    It's funny...I had the same experience last month at a men's retreat. I only brought the mando because they decided to do an acoustic set of worship the first night. I hadn't played seriously in months, but I rec'd all kinds of compliments on how it added another dimension to the set. Who woulda thunk?
    You got time to breathe, you got time for music.
    www.acousticfriends.com/hepcatmando, www.myspace.com/1groovycat,

Quote Originally Posted by (hepcat mando @ Nov. 06 2006, 17:16)
    ...I hadn't played seriously in months, but I rec'd all kinds of compliments on how it added another dimension to the set. Who woulda thunk?
    It's the mandolin. You get a halfway decent instrument, tune it, and play some humble little melody on it, and it just sings - even to "down-home, gospel-singin' Episcopalians"!
    "I'm your density."

What a great story. It's nice when you can forget your own ego and, as you said, play the instrument like a prayer. I always like to think at such times God and the angels are playing along.

Chad,

Thanks for the testimony, brotha! I read it to my wife and even she (who is not that much into mandos) got a kick out of it.

Sometimes I wish I went to a church where they played the "old time religion" kind of music--at least once in a while.

Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by (maroon @ Nov. 06 2006, 22:09)
    ...Sometimes I wish I went to a church where they played the "old time religion" kind of music--at least once in a while...
    Me too. We did play "Leaning On The Everlasting Arms" Sun. night but those good old gospel tunes are few and far between, I'm afraid. The pastor throws one in once in a while for the older folks but he's pretty much a "Contemporary Christian" music kind of guy.

This one I'm talking about playing was CC, too, but not too bad, and I'm a sucker for 3/4 time.
    "I'm your density."

I've had this experience during services several times. I remember one particular Sunday that I had spent hours preparing for. Then we play this tune, 'Behold the Lamb of God', which I had not practiced and had never played on mandolin. Then someone comes up afterwards to tell us how wonderful it was. I call it, 'playing in tongues'....like the Holy Spirit is playing through you. It's definitely cool! I've also done a call and answer thing with the lead guitar player whereby some unrehearsed beauty came forth.

It is definitely ethereal!

Quote Originally Posted by
    Life is a mystery, everyone must stand alone
    I hear you call my name
    And it feels like home

When you call my name it’s like a little prayer
    I’m down on my knees, I wanna take you there
    In the midnight hour I can feel your power
    Just like a prayer you know I’ll take you there
    Why oh why did you have to get that song stuck in my mind? LOL!
    Mandolins:
    Mid-mo M11 (#1855)
    Ovation MM68 (#490231)
    New flute CD:
    Wellsprings 2: Joyful!

Another interesting thing about the Episcopalian "gospel" service: Bob and I were the incidental music for the second service, and we arrived at the church as the first service was ending. One of the offertory songs was the old hymn Shall We Gather At the River, and we heard it being sung by a tenor soloist with the the choir director accompanying on piano, using dozens of chords and passing tones -- a real "art" performance, at a somewhat languid tempo.

In the second set Bob and I backed up the choir on the same hymn, strictly three-chord, up-tempo, the way I'd play it in a bluegrass or country gospel context. It worked well either way, but I somehow felt our "folky" performance was more in keeping with the way it was originally sung, back before the Civil War. There's a lot of ways to play 'em and sing 'em, but for a simple, heartfelt song, I'll take the direct route.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by (allenhopkins @ Nov. 07 2006, 00:14)
    In the second set Bob and I backed up the choir on the same hymn, strictly three-chord, up-tempo, the way I'd play it in a bluegrass or country gospel context. #It worked well either way, but I somehow felt our "folky" performance was more in keeping with the way it was originally sung, back before the Civil War. #There's a lot of ways to play 'em and sing 'em, but for a simple, heartfelt song, I'll take the direct route.
    I'm witcha. There's such a thing as "gilding the lily" sometimes. This a.m I was playing my mando a bit just after I got up. Later my wife came out and remarked how "beautiful" it sounded. I hadn't been dong anything particularly fancy, and told her so. I said to her what I believe, that with a nice acoustic instrument like a good mandolin, if you just pluck one note it's beautiful all by itself with the harmonics, etc. I think one disservice of electric instruments (of which I've played and enjoyed many) is that because they emphasize the fundamental, and not harmonics so much, we crave more extended chords, etc. to create variety and interest. I'll bet I'm not alone here in saying I could play a mando, a guitar, or a fiddle for a long time and just enjoy the rich sound coming out of the instrument, playing just simple chords and major scales. ***********************************

I was actually just thinking of this this morning. How many beautiful, memorable melodies have been created from just the 7 notes of the major scale? Gotta be millions, and each of us, musician or not, probably knows thousands. Remarkable...
    "I'm your density."

I've always thought it would be so wonderful to be able to play my mandolin in church in praise to God. No one to play with in my church - I'm a beginner anyway- and I don't know if the good Lord would want me to switch churches just to find someone to play with
    TinaBee

I'm thinking that we of faith and superstition ought to take our religious talk elsewhere. #The last time I played mandolin in Church, it was so moving that Satan himself grabbed his tail, ran to the edge of the earth and jumped off. #The sweet music (accompanied by Angels and a couple of Saints, of course) even coaxed a Leprechaun out into the open.

Despite our moving religious experiences though, we have to remember that there are people out there in Mandolin-Cafe land who don't so much as believe in Zeus, let alone Jesus, Mohamed, Mary, and God herself (himself?...hmmm, whatever).

Generally it appears that the MC crowd is comprised of nice folks, so I doubt there is reason to worry about an Inquisition or Jihad of some kind in response to our religiosity, but as sure as Hexx and eternal tarnation at the lake of fire, accounts of our personal spritual highs are going to get on someones nerves eventually. #So...let's hang it up or take it elsewhere. #

Blessed be (that's Wicca for "proceed in peace brothers and sisters").

...whoops, talk about bringing on another Inquisition or witch hunt. # In short we best stick to mandolin talk here.

P.S. #The next time I see that Leprechaun in Church (or anywhere else) I'm going to follow him home and take his pot of gold...and (mandolin talk here) I'm gonna buy me a new Gilchrist.

Quote Originally Posted by (Potosimando @ Nov. 10 2006, 14:05)
    I'm thinking that we of faith and superstition ought to take our religious talk elsewhere. #The last time I played mandolin in Church, it was so moving that Satan himself grabbed his tail, ran to the edge of the earth and jumped off. #The sweet music (accompanied by Angels and a couple of Saints, of course) even coaxed a Leprechaun out into the open.

Despite our moving religious experiences though, we have to remember that there are people out there in Mandolin-Cafe land who don't so much as believe in Zeus, let alone Jesus, Mohamed, Mary, and God herself (himself?...hmmm, whatever).

Generally it appears that the MC crowd is comprised of nice folks, so I doubt there is reason to worry about an Inquisition or Jihad of some kind in response to our religiosity, but as sure as Hexx and eternal tarnation at the lake of fire, accounts of our personal spritual highs are going to get on someones nerves eventually. #So...let's hang it up or take it elsewhere. #

Blessed be (that's Wicca for "proceed in peace brothers and sisters").

...whoops, talk about bringing on another Inquisition or witch hunt. # In short we best stick to mandolin talk here.

P.S. #The next time I see that Leprechaun in Church (or anywhere else) I'm going to follow him home and take his pot of gold...and (mandolin talk here) I'm gonna buy me a new Gilchrist.
    My post WAS about mandolin, specifically playing in church. I didn't proselytize or nothin', just said I was blessed. Anybody else object besides Potosimando?

And no, ya can't bait me with a Wicca reference. If you follow Wicca that's your decision.
    "I'm your density."

Quote Originally Posted by (chad @ Nov. 06 2006, 07:12)
    No, not a mando version of the Madonna tune! I just picked up mandolin about a year and a half ago, but since I'm a guitarist I've achieved a tiny bit of proficiency on it.

Took it to church last night. Now, one of the reasons I love mando is because it seems like a sanctified little instrument, perfect voice for gospel music. So we were playing. We started a tune I don't know, in 3/4 time, key of D. Mandolin home, right? So I'm playing little fills, etc., people are singing and praying - the pastor signals me to play a solo. I usually refuse because I don't want the attention on me, but it seemed right, so I did.

This is not me bragging, o.k.? But it was just a blessing. I tried to play something worshipful and prayerful, using my somewhat limited chops, and it sounded good, and right, and several people said they were blessed by it. So this is more of a testimony, for those of you familiar with the concept. Just wanted to share with folks who can relate.
    I can relate brother and thank you! I'm in the position now where I want to learn some gospel tunes to play with the praise band, both background and picking. If you know of a good source for gospel mando music let me know. I'm not really impressed with what I've found so far.

chris
    Perhaps Today

My wife smacks me in the hands every Sunday at least once, because I play "air mandolin" along with the hymns.It's usually tremelo! This type of music lends itself to the mandolin, a very moving instrument. To happen upon a thread that links spirituality and mandolins is no fluke. If you're uncomfortable with a "religious thread", go to a different one. My two cents.
    Collings MF
    Collings MT2V

it's all good
    Jason

Lefty JBovier F5 Tradition, Lefty Mid-Mo M1

Praise God!
    God is good!

Prayers are answered.
    Thank you very much. God bless.

Closet Mandolin Player Mark Walker's Avatar

Wow... Great thread, though it brings me sorrow. # I played guitar and then - the past few years - mandolin in our parish for 24 years. #We got a new pastor about a year ago who feels stringed instruments have 'no place' in church and he succeeded in driving me out of the music ministry...as well as the other 'folk group' musicians. #

Our previous Pastor LOVED the mandolin, and I got reasonably comfortable doing introductions or musical wrap-arounds between verses and so on. #Interesting how two graduates from a seminary can have such opposite views on Glory and Praise within a service.

While other neighboring parishes have invited me to join their musical groups, I don't feel right in 'horning' in. Someday we'll get another pastor, and I'll return to 'my' church - if they'll have me back!

"The more I learn, the more I realize how ignorant I truly am..."