Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Musette style music

I heard #a hint of some of the music on the radio a while ago.
    i think NPR noticed because Robert Crumb was sitting in with some of the locals around the Villa that some #fan of his cartoons gave him.
    needless to say the local big box store hasn't stocked any.
    yes I know ill have to cope with accordions doing most of the melodys ,
    but would like to find some anthologys of players in that tradition.

any US imported recording sources to seek out.. online ?

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I started with the Paris Musette series, then moved on to Viseur box sets, etc. There are lots of compilations/double CDs about - check Djangobooks.com.

Musette tunes are great on the mandolin, and hey, the pairing of mandolin and accordion is a splendid sound. Probably my favorite playing combo is a quartet with bass, guitar, mando, and accordion. Don't let them kid you kid, accordions are great. Forget that Lawrence Welk stuff (although that has its charms, too). Check out traditional music from Quebec, Louisianna, France, Basque country, Scandinavia, Italy, the Balkans, Ireland, and beyond, and you will gain an aprreciation for that much-maligned but truly hip instrument.

To hear how some contemporary players have paired mandolin and accordion to do modern tunes with a very strong musette influence, check out any of the recordings featuring French mandolinist Patrick Vaillant and Italian accordionist Ricardo Tesi. Wonderful stuff. Kind of hard to find, but worth digging for.

Here's an interview with Vaillant.

Vaillant's recordings with his Melonious mandolin quartet are wonderful, too.

PK

Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

Try this...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    "Bonjour chez vous!"
    Phil.
    Wondergrass
    MoonShine

I have been attempting to play Viseur's Flambee Montalbanese for a few years now but I realized that it prob should be transposed to a more workable key for mandolin. The thing about a lot of these musette tunes is that they have a large range. FM sheet music I have (for accordion) is in Cm and I think it would work much better in Dm but still is quite a bear to play. Relentless notes interspersed with triplets. Fun tho...

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Dan Newton's Cafe Accordian has several great CDs featuring terrific mandolin. He's from Minneapolis and goes by Daddy Squeeze

www.daddysqueeze.com

I believe. He's a regular on Prarie Home Companion.

I don't recall the mandolinists name offhand, but he is great. Doubles melodies beautifully and adds very tasteful improv solos. Which is a particular challenge w/ waltzes I think.

The website also has a great history of musette, and "must have" discography. Definitely worth the visit.

The little gypsy-esque combo I play in includes a musette in most sets. I like to preface the tune to the audience w/ the history about musettes having been banned in Paris because of being dangerous and licentious. So they should get ready to have some of those dangerous "feelings!"

Also like to mention how Django got his start playing banjo in musette bands. Jim

Another vote for accordians as cool, in addition to others mentioned, there're Cajun, Tex Mex, & TANGO!

Elrod
    Gibson A2 1920(?)
    Breedlove Cascade
    Washburn 215(?) 1906-07(?)
    Victoria, B&J, New York(stolen 10/18/2011)
    Eastwood Airline Mandola

guitars:
    Guild D-25NT
    Vega 200 archtop, 1957?

Mandroïd, If you can't download the file (Indifférence), send me a private message with your adress, and I'll send it to you...
    For other Cafe fellows, if the link doesn't work, tell me here!
    "Bonjour chez vous!"
    Phil.
    Wondergrass
    MoonShine

Quote Originally Posted by (Lefty&French @ Oct. 27 2006, 08:45)
    Mandroïd, If you can't download the file (Indifférence), send me a private message with your adress, and I'll send it to you...
    For other Cafe fellows, if the link doesn't work, tell me here!
    Worked for me.
    Elrod
    Gibson A2 1920(?)
    Breedlove Cascade
    Eastwood Airline Mandola

guitars:
    Guild D-25NT
    Vega 200 archtop, 1957?

There are four musette tunes that I found in the Mandozine/Comando Tabledit Archives:
    Volupta Valse
    Mysterieuse
    Indifference
    FrissonnanteMusette

Some are in jazz and some are in Waltz so you have to search individually. Only one comes up under musette.

Jim

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Well, this thread is a bit of heaven for me. I crossed over and bought an accordion at the end of the summer and have been trying to squeeze practice time in lately. I've played with a combo here in AA for awhile with three (3) accordionists, well sometimes four. They are usually asking me to turn my EM down.....Klezmer and waltzes mostly, moving into musette.

Jim B, where does your combo play?

Mandroid, I've got a Tesi disc called Ballo Liscio which features Patrick Valliant. Check Oriente Musik in Berlin, they have a pretty great and eclectic selection:

http://www.oriente.de/e/welcome.html

As well, Ry Cooder did some numbers with Flaco Jimenez featuring mandolin/accordion duets.

It is great to see all these links that y'all have posted. This ought to keep me enthused awhile.

Jim G, I've gone to your well a few times without reciprocation, but I would be most grateful if you could direct me to the FM sheets. We used it recently in a short documentary film and now have it firmly etched in my psyche.

Thanks for a great Friday evening at the MC.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Quote Originally Posted by (brunello97 @ Oct. 27 2006, 21:39)
    Jim G, I've gone to your well a few times without reciprocation, but I would be most grateful if you could direct me to the FM sheets. We used it recently in a short documentary film and now have it firmly etched in my psyche.
    BION the first time I heard Flambee Montalbanaise was on a short that opened the movie A Bug's Life. It was a little computer animated film about two chess players with no dialog and just the music playing. I had to find out what that music was and found out about Viseur.

Mick, I will send via email.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Jim,
    Great story on the animated film. I'd love to track that down. (I just saw the Pixar "One Man Band" vid before "Cars"-amazing.) We used FM on a short called "La Forma del Cielo" about the sky above Florentine streetscapes. Not Italian at all, but the pacing of the music fit so well we decided to go with it. I fell in love with the tune and believe it drove me into Squeezebox Aquisition Syndrome. What is so amazing about the MC is that you can discover a connection to someone plugged into the exact same curious thing, only with a slightly different twist you never thought of. It is really an amazing place.
    thanks, and a tip o' the hat,
    Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

I have also been watching DVDs of Curb Your Enthusiasm, Larry, David's series on HBO. For some reason almost every musical excerpt is either musette or ballo liscio (Italian equiv of musette). Not sure what it has to do with the subject but it is interesting music and someone must like it. Unfortunately, I don't think they credit the actual tunes used but I will check again.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

I thought Musette was early (16th century) French country music, played on a unique pipe. It became popular amongst the "better" people, moved to the urban ballrooms and parlors, and then fell out of favor, returning to its country origins.
    I have heard it played and described in detail in workshops. The piper usually wears bells on one leg for rythymic accompaniment. There is a definitive book in progress re: the music and the pipes, which evolved radically over a short period of time. (16th/17th century)
    So obviously, I am misssing the progress it made in later centuries, if, indeed, it is the same music.

rasa
    Jonathan Reinhardt

Quote Originally Posted by (rasa @ Oct. 28 2006, 11:32)
    I thought Musette was early (16th century) French country music, played on a unique pipe. It became popular amongst the "better" people, moved to the urban ballrooms and parlors, and then fell out of favor, returning to its country origins.
    I have heard it played and described in detail in workshops. The piper usually wears bells on one leg for rythymic accompaniment. There is a definitive book in progress re: the music and the pipes, which evolved radically over a short period of time. (16th/17th century)
    So obviously, I am misssing the progress it made in later centuries, if, indeed, it is the same music.

rasa
    Jonathan Reinhardt
    Sometimes names get recycled or hijacked. Look in your Video Store for the movie "Crossroads", do you find a movie about a Blues journey with music by Ry Cooder, or a Britney Spears fluff piece?
    Elrod
    Gibson A2 1920(?)
    Breedlove Cascade
    Eastwood Airline Mandola

guitars:
    Guild D-25NT
    Vega 200 archtop, 1957?

You are both correct, according to
    Dolmetsch Online Music Dictionary:
    Quote Originally Posted by
    a gavotte-like pastoral dance with a persistent bass drone imitating the bagpipe, popular in the French courts of Louis VIV and Louis XV
    or
    a style of French popular music featuring the accordion, which flourished in the 1920s, 1930s, and 1940s
    I suppose there is some connection between the two:
    a tuning used in accordions, also called "wet" tuning, where two or more sets of reeds are tuned slightly off pitch from each other, giving a vibrato effect. The degree of "wetness" is determined by how far apart the reeds are tuned
    Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Quote Originally Posted by (MandoSquirrel @ Oct. 28 2006, 18:11)
    Quote Originally Posted by (rasa @ Oct. 28 2006, 11:32)

rasa
    Jonathan Reinhardt
    Sometimes names get recycled or hijacked. Look in your Video Store for the movie "Crossroads", do you find a movie about a Blues journey with music by Ry Cooder, or a Britney Spears fluff piece?
    Right! Musette was the name of the french pipe too.
    20th century musette is related with waltzes ("valses musette")and accordion. Two very different kind of music!
    "Bonjour chez vous!"
    Phil.
    Wondergrass
    MoonShine

As long as we're talking about musette in animated movies, I think I remember a (undead) musette band in Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas.. Don't remember the instrumentation, but I remember LOL when I heard the music.. Anyone planning on going to the 3D remake? Or have the original on DVD? If so please confirm or deny..

Anyone know of any good sources for Musette music in notation (not tab)?

The tef files on Mandozine can be displayed and printed in notation. PM me, Jim. I have others from a defunct accordiom site.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

One of the great musette groups here in the Bay Area is the Baquette Quartette, led by Parisian accordioniste, Odile Lavault. They have three or four CDs out, featuring the music from the 1880s through the 1940s, approximately. In addition to the accordion, the group includes violin, bass and guitar. I believe there may be a mandolin on a couple of their tunes as well. I've been a big fan of the group for a long time, and had the good fortune to do a Soiree Musicale in San Francisco, featuring the Baguettes and my own group, The Hot Frittatas, which plays Italian Ballo Liscio music, from approximately the same era as the French music (accordion, mandolin!, guitar and bass). Many of the early French musette groups began using the accordion to replace the pipes (the original musettes). Mandolins may not have been that prominent in the French music, but it has always remained a strong presence in Italy, and certainly in the Italian immigrant communities in America, where such music continues to this day. There is a sharp distinction between Musette and Gypsy Jazz, I should point out, even though a young Django Reinhardt began his career playing banjo (incredible, but true) in a musette ensemble in Paris. Another great Bay Area band, the Hot Club of San Francisco, includes a few musette tunes in their repertoire, including the Flambee Montabanaise, cited elsewhere on this list.
    David "Gus" Garelick

Quote Originally Posted by (gus garelick @ Nov. 02 2006, 12:09)
    One of the great musette groups here in the Bay Area is the Baquette Quartette, led by Parisian accordioniste, Odile Lavault. They have three or four CDs out, featuring the music from the 1880s through the 1940s, approximately.
    It took me a little while, Gus, to find their site -- I should have realized that their name is The Baguette Quartette. Thanks for the tip tho.

BTW Gus's group, the The Hot Frittatas, is a real joy to listen to. I highly recommend both of their CDs.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

I don't recall the mandolinists name offhand, but he is great. #Doubles melodies beautifully and adds very tasteful improv solos
    Eric Mohring. #

Great player, great band.

Check out the Cafe Accordion Orchestra on myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/71812495

An accordionist friend who plays musette recommends a series of 6 books from the publisher Paul Beuscher in Paris. I sent for Vol. 2 because it has a tune I wanted, but it turns out that one (and only that one!) shows the chords in solfege, e.g. G minor shows as "SOL m". Slows me down when chording. I got my book from http://musicbookworld.com/accordion.htm but they only carried Vols. 2,3 and 4. Flambee Montalbanaise is in Vol 5.

This is from my friend:

>Those Beuscher books are the ones. I've played mostly from >book 1, but there is great material in all of them...
    >
    >Here's a site in German that seems to have them all, >including Vol 6:
    >http://www.musik-produktiv.ch/shop2/...neinHere's >another:http://www.free-scores.com/boutique/...00&style=33And >another:http://www.di-arezzo.com/jp/detail_n...cle=BEUSC00105

This is really off topic, but for those who have doubts about accordion I'd like to call attention to Gus Viseur's swing material, marvelously represented in the CD "Gus Viseur A Bruxelles" (PJC 222006). The artwork is from Crumb. The music looks to be all originals, hot 5 and 6 piece combos with solo time divided between accordion, clarinet, trumpet, piano, guitar. Clips here: http://www.amazon.com/As-Musette-Gus...e=UTF8&s=music

John Morton