Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: East flatbush blues

East Flatbush blues is really extraordinary. Blows my mind. #It struck me when I was listening that there's a lot of Albert Ayler in his playing, the way Ayler would take simple tunes -- spirituals -- #and deconstructively try to draw out every resonance and depth in them. I listened to the record back to back with Thile and for me the difference is that Statman means every note, there's no filler even in the fastest runs. Which is not to say I'm not amazed by Thile, it's just Statman is the deepest of the deep. And when you get that deep you're also playful and funny!

Aaron Garrett

At the Mandolin Symposium, Andy mentioned Albert Ayler as an influence on his music.

EXQUISITE! EXTRAORDINARY! Among the finest albums of the year...or any year for that matter. Andy Statman's playing is transcendental and Jim Whitney (bass) and Larry Eagle (percussion) are brilliant.

There are others who are better known, but there is no one better than Andy Statman. Musician with a capital M.

Get this one and absorb it....

I will gladly add my name to the list of folks here extolling the virtues of Andy Statman...East Flatbush Blues is one of the most mind-blowing albums to come down the pike since albums have been coming down the pike. That said, to suggest that Andy is somehow more "musical" than a guy like Mike Marshall, or (worse yet)that the art that he creates is more "spiritual" is absurd. Both of these guys are world-class talents (on multiple instruments), both are extremely cerebral in their approaches to their respective musical forms, and both wear their love for what they do on their sleeves.
    Seen live, they are beyond description. I saw Andy at Rockygrass '05, and Mike at Wintergrass '06. Both were jaw-dropping performances by men in total command of their mandolins/clarinets/mandocellos/guitars/bouzoukis, etc.

Mike Marshall is a GIANT among stringed instrument players.......music certainly isn't a competition or race, and it is interesting to hear how musicians evolve over the years. And interesting that both Andy & Mike started with an interest in BG mandolin.

I'm proud of my heritage, but consider myself more a spiritual person, than religious. I found Andy's improvisations on clarinet of 100's of year old melodies to somehow speak to my inner being. In the liner notes from New Shabos Waltz, Statman/Grisman......David Sears writes that the Chassidic melodies: "seek to uplift the singer, player, listener and bring about a state of attachment to God." I'm sure not everyone will have the same reaction to this particular music that I did, but for me...it was a spiritual experience.

And speaking about Gator, his quest to explore the world of music, is awe inspiring. He has the ability to hear and become the music...even music from other times,and other cultures, but make it his. Marshall's ability to become a perfect musical partner and get inside the music is amazing...be it on Appalachian fiddle tunes, or Brazilian music with Hamilton, Swedish folk music with Vassen, or Dawg music with Grisman.....with Mike it is all just music, and he hears similarities and internalizes the differences and shares that with his audience, as well as the musicians he plays with. His duets with Darol Anger, Chris Thile, Edgar Meyer, etc. are legendary. Music is sometimes a team sport & Gator is MVP. Clearly Mike is on a spiritual quest through music, and I've shared many musical moments of enlightenment over the years, by experiencing and listening to his genius. I just heard a preview of a piece he has written for mandolin & string quartet, that I was deeply moved by.

Interesting how different kinds of pure music.....played from the heart, can evoke similar deep feelings. We're fortunate to have mando players like Andy & Mike out there to inspire us. I see both evolving into their mature voices as musicians. Both are true artists!

Quote Originally Posted by
    That said, to suggest that Andy is somehow more "musical" than a guy like Mike Marshall, or (worse yet)that the art that he creates is more "spiritual" is absurd. #
    If you can quote where I said that, I'd be happy to discuss it. I believe what I said is:

Although they could sit down, transcribe, and play back the notes, it wouldn't be the same music .I'm not sure that they could CONCEIVE of what he plays. It's the musical content, the conception of the type of lines he plays. None of those three guys have the strong jazz background Andy has- he was a tenor sax player for a time, and a serious jazz player, not a moonlighter.

I love and respect the music of all three you mention, but I bet they'd be the first to admit they cannot play the kind of stuff you hear from Andy, not only on the new CD, but as far back as the early '70's, say on stuff like "Pike County Breakdown" from Tony Trischka's Heartlands- there has never been a mandolin player before or since who would play with that kind of harmonic adventure and rhythmic conception.

There is a big difference between playing mandolin on a jazz tune and playing JAZZ on the mandolin. There is a language and syntax unique to fiddle tunes and bluegrass, another unique to jazz improvisation. IMHO.
    I never said those guys aren't musical or spiritual. I am speaking strictly of idiomatic playing- specifically, that Andy has deeper jazz roots and that makes a difference for me as a listener. Most people don't care about the lineage of a style of music- if they like it, they like it. I happen to agree with Andy that roots in various styles really do count for something- and someone who really understands the vocabulary and history of a style of music such as jazz (which is a very deep set of traditions) is going to approach the music differently than someone who is less deeply rooted. Again, I know most listeners could care less about pedigree, that this can be seen as a very snobby attitude, etc.

I just know that you could take many of Andy's solos on jazz tunes and they would work perfectly on trad. jazz instruments like horns...there are not many mandolinists who play jazz at all, but those who do often use a bluegrass concept of phrasing (i.e. lots of run-on eighth notes without the kind of conversational rhythmic phrasing you hear in players from Louis Armstrong to John Scofield) that would sound like 'not jazz' to people who are conversant with the vocabulary and syntax of the style.

I agree it would be absurd to call anyone more 'musical' or 'spiritual' than anyone else. That's not what I meant nor is it what I said...Again, I love and respect the music of Mike and Chris!

Might I add: viva la difference! There's only one Mike, only one Chris, and only one you! It's still all good music, and I don't mean to split hairs (as if i could afford one!)

John McGann, Associate Professor, Berklee College of Music
    johnmcgann.com
    myspace page
    Youtube live mando

Blog Entries

I dig you John.

Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by (DNestler @ Dec. 10 2006, 18:43)
    I dig you John.

Daniel
    Yeah! I think there are a few of us here who subscribe to the Gospel of John I'd add Mr. Stern to that list as well.

Statman on YouTube

For those of us who cannot see Statman live (it's poor quality but the music is insane, no mando).

I recently bought both of Andy's new recordings, East Flatbush and the companion clarinet release, Awakening from Above. They are both fantastic albums, and IMO, Andy Statman is one the truly rare musicians, you can hear the music flow straight through the heart to the instrument. Deeply spiritual music!

Seth

Any clues as to where to buy it?

I'm in Scotland, but web sources would be of use

Cheers

Kevin

Kevin--

I bought Andy's two most recent CDs on Amazon in the States. #I just looked up Amazon UK to see if they carry his CDs and they do. #So they--East Flatbush Blues and Awakening from Above--are both available from Amazon UK for 13.99 (pounds).

James

thanks, James, I'll follow that up.
    regards Kevin

I just revisited this post, and realized that Mr. McGann thought that I was somehow attacking him personally regarding my opinion of Statman vs. Marshall. Not true, sir! If anything, I was commenting on Glassweb's post regarding the unique "musical vocabulary" and "spiritual depth" of Mr. Statman (his implication being that Thile, Marshall and Hamilton are somehow lacking in the above-mentioned categories).
    You'll be hard-pressed to find a bigger fan of Andy Statman than myself. True, I live thousands of miles away from his usual place of performance, but I purchase and devour every piece of music that he releases (mando and clarinet/klezmer). He is an amazing musician and person who has put an indelible stamp on everything that he has ever touched. But...I'd say the same thing about Mike Marshall. The man absolutely bleeds music. He is an absolute master of anything with strings, and an amazing performer completely lacking in ego or presumption.
    Perhaps we can agree that both Statman and Marshall are completely unique in what they do, and defy any sort of comparison (to each other or to other musicians).
    My apologies if my original comments were taken the wrong way...

Hi Buddha- sorry if there was a misunderstanding-I didn't take it as a personal attack when you said
    to suggest that Andy is somehow more "musical" than a guy like Mike Marshall, or (worse yet)that the art that he creates is more "spiritual" is absurd.
    It's just that that's not what I said, so I felt your extrapolation was inaccurate...and as I said, I love all three player mentioned.
    John McGann, Associate Professor, Berklee College of Music
    johnmcgann.com
    myspace page
    Youtube live mando

Whenever I encounter "Andy who...?" I'm tempted to launch into a lenghty exegesis.
    And then I come to the realization that I may as well be tap dancing in an effort to describe Gothic archicecture.

Curt

To change the topic slightly...

Last year I was at a talk about the history of progresive bluegrass with Tony Trischka. He gave a really amazing talk in the short time he had and played all of the examples he spoke about. Great guy.

Anyways he mentioned that when he was playing with Andy in the '70s they would be playing the bluegrass festival circuit in many conservative communities where it was essentially a surogate concert for the banned rock concerts of the day. He said during the day he would play a traditional concert, but at night him and andy would play the "far out" stuff. Tony got on dobro and Andy on clarinet playing some "mind blowing genre melting stuff" for the rowdy bikers and hippies in the crowd.

I wish i could hear this stuff.Anyone have any more history about this era, or preferably old recordings? Im assuming this was during the Country Cooking phase. Im currently having trouble even tracking down the studio recordings from this era...

Happy Days

Arnhem, the Netherlands; Nanjing, China; Ithaca NY USA

Rounder Records collection of Country Cooking instrumentals. The rest is out of print, a few cuts are on some Rounder compilations.

Agree that Tony is a really approachable guy. I know him from the Country Cooking days and then later with Barry Mitterhof in Skyline.

Harry Gilmore was the mandolin player on the first Country Cooking lp. He did some very fine playing. Never heared of him before or since.
    I remember Andys playing in the 70s mostly through the band Breakfast Special.I was hooked on their innovation, mastery of their instruments and irreverance for all things.
    I once saw them when they had an opening act of a comedian playing the banjo and wearing an arrow through his head. Well the band got some good jabs in at Steve Martin a few years before he made it big.
    A fond memory. Happy Hollidays to all..Gary S

Harry Gilmore AKA Lou Martin. Check out his Rounder release for some great playing with Russ Barenburg and Tony Triska.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Brentrup Evangelist Larry S Sherman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I just started listening to this CD, and was struck by Andy's humming/singing/moaning during solos. It's easier to hear though headphones.

It makes me feel like he is riding some deep inner wave or vision, and the music is pouring out of him through his hands and mouth. For the listener it's almost like a guide to what he's thinking while he plays the mandolin-the direction he's going in.

I wonder if it comes from his clarinet playing, or if he has always done this (I seem to remember an old thread about this)?

So far I think that it's my favorite Statman CD.

Happy New Year, Larry

"I just started listening to this CD, and was struck by Andy's humming/singing/moaning during solos. It's easier to hear though headphones."

# Like so many other spiritual activities - eg. Yoga, Tai Chi, Communal prayer - breathing is an integral part of successful execution. The bass player Major Holly comes to mind as someone who used "audible breathing".
    # Many years ago, I kept an index card in my case on which I had written "BREATH" ... Without this reminder, many hours of practice might have been for naught.

Curt

Blog Entries

My copy has arrived. I'm mad for not getting it sooner. So much of what I have thought and felt while listening has been said by others (Don's review was great).

I have a lot of CDs, like many of you I'm sure, but I really think this one will be one I pull out often through the years. It feels so much like John Coltrane's A Love Supreme its spooky. Not that they are the same but evoke a similar vibe down inside for me. Tremendous music and to those who have seen the trio live or played with Andy, consider yourselves blessed.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Statman's humming sounds a lot like Keith Jarrett's moaning/humming. Check out the great record Fort Yawuh.
    Aaron Garrett

Come see Andy and his trio tonight if you're in the NYC area. The show is at 53 Charles St. (near The Village Vanguard) and starts around 8:45pm. Bring your ears and your seatbelt!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by (Glassweb @ Jan. 08 2007, 10:46)
    Come see Andy and his trio tonight if you're in the NYC area. The show is at 53 Charles St. (near The Village Vanguard) and starts around 8:45pm. Bring your ears and your seatbelt!
    And for dinner prior to the gig (within walking distance), I'd recommend the Pearl Oyster Bar. Start with the fried oysters for appetizer. Main course would be the Lobster Roll with Shoestring Fries. To wash it down, what would be better than a Cinq Cents Chimay Ale. Dang I miss that place!

How'd I do, glassweb?