Thread: Copy carver

Ok I am considering building one of these. Could I also use it to level surfaces up a bit. Put a nice flat piece of glass on the pattern side then a sanding dish on the other. I'm not looking for a surface ready to finish just a way to even up some ruff spots at the beginning of the process.

Or maybe make another carriage with a drum in it for sanding? Or some variant but I think you got my general direction of thought here. Thanks Bertotti
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

fwiw, there are a couple of threads on the mimf board that talk about homemade drum sanders. #I think to build from scratch a copy carver that is stable enough to make a good flat surface (or even roughing plates accurately), it wouldn't be cheap and you would be better off watching the classifieds for a planer (at least for leveling stuff). #I have to say, since I got my planer, I don't know how I got by without it....

Austin Clark
    http://www.clarkmandolins.com

Clark Mandolins on Facebook

@scrollenvy on Instagram

If I understand correctly, you are wondering if you can use the router on the duplicarver with a sanding disk. I would advise against it. I think the router, even a variable speed unit, is too powerful. It would also be much harder to control. When the sander reaches a high spot it would most likely grab and possibly hard enough to jerk the unit out of your hand. I would use a straight router bit to do it. It would take longer, but work better. Ultimately, a drum sander or planer would be best.

That is what I needed to know. I will be making a copy carver or a duplicating carver in the next few months. Work tends to slow up a bit in winter hopefully I can get snowed in for a week. Yea I'm nuts. Anyway I have a plan for a drum sander and a couple motors that would be suitable for slow work. Thanks John

John,

I have build a copy carver - haven't set it up or used it yet, though. Plan to use if for rough carving tops and backs.

For leveling, I use a Wagner Safe-T-Planer on my drill press with a jig. Works great for thicknessing sides and leveling out surfaces.

Rick

I'm leary of the safety planer it just looks dangerous. Anyone have a shot of it in use?

They have been around a long time, and a lot of them are out there. If you follow the rules, you shouldn't run into any trouble. Carelessness could cost you some loss of philanges, but that is true of about any power tool.

Ron
    My wife says I don't pay enough attention to what she says....
    (Or something like that...)

Tony Bare

I made a copy carver (duplicarver). I haven't used it much for luthier work. It will level a warped board but i wouldn't try thin stuff like mando or guitar sides or backs. I don't know how you would hold them down unless you rigged up vacum clamp. A sanding disk would spin too fast. Just use a large flat bottom router bit. I made a movable fixture with a sled to hold the router and leveled a 30" by 70" work bench with a 3/4" straight bit. Took a lot of passes but-dead level. If you have a wood lathe its easy to make a thickness sander.
    Tony Bare