Thread: A pleasant surprise

So, a guy that lives down the hall in my dorm says he has an old mandolin at his house and asks me to teach him some stuff as he saw me playing OM a couple times. I say, sure bring it up next time you go home. I get back from my fall break and he says he brought the Mando, I ask to take a look. Now, I am expecting some thing that is old, not very nice, and in bad condition, but that was not the case.

I open up the case and find a Gibson A-3 that has been recently restored. One crack in the sound board and one in the headstock and neck, both have been repaired. Looking at serial number specs on the Gibson site, I estimate it was made around 1910. Of course I do a bit of playing on it and there is nothing like that old Gibson sound. A very queit instrument, tonally well suited for Irish music, but it would never cut it volume-wise in a session. I have to say that it has a very strong low end, and not too much bark. Not good for Bluegrass.

I played a 1919 A3 for many years in an old time band and it cut thru four other instruments quite nicely. of course, one from 1910 would be much different. then again the strings and the overall setup can make a big difference. Did you base the date from a serial number?

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Was it refinished? That might would explain the lack of volume; I used to have a '15A2 and it was loud, deep, & beautiful sounding.
    Elrod
    Gibson A2 1920(?)
    Breedlove Cascade
    Washburn 215(?) 1906-07(?)
    Victoria, B&J, New York(stolen 10/18/2011)
    Eastwood Airline Mandola

guitars:
    Guild D-25NT
    Vega 200 archtop, 1957?

Quote Originally Posted by (jgarber @ Oct. 16 2006, 17:15)
    I played a 1919 A3 for many years in an old time band and it cut thru four other instruments quite nicely. of course, one from 1910 would be much different. then again the strings and the overall setup can make a big difference. Did you base the date from a serial number?

Jim
    Yep, I looked it up on the Gibson website. #I was definatly going to give it a nice setup and new strings in the near future as the 12th fret harmonics were way off. #The action feels a bit low and that is what the harmonics indicated to me. # #

I asked if it was refinished, the owner did not know. #I would venture to guess that it was judging by how it looked, of course it wasn't played much which could have something to do with it.

Of course, I could be so used to my loud Peterson OM that the A-3 seemed queit. I may borrow it to play with a Fiddler I play with a lot as I do play some tunes on OM when I am not playing Irish Flute or Whistle.