Page 27 of 297 FirstFirst ... 22324252627282930315277127 ... LastLast

Thread: Bowlbacks of Note

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone

C'mon bratsche, take a chance . .

The small teardrop ivory pick ordered from you is so nice.
    Even at my very basic level of playing it makes a difference in sound.

Thanks for the kind words, Doreen! I really do need to replace my broken scanner and printer before worrying about a bowlback (though it's so easy to sit on eBay and ogle them....) "Business before pleasure" priorities, and all.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

Anyone catch this one yet. Miroglio (sp) Mandola?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....24&rd=1

I'd bid but I figure someone will out bid me in the end anyway. I'll watch it though just in case it stays reasonable. John

My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

Apart from being a mandola, that Miroglio has a considerable similarity with my mother's Roman-style Miroglio. That's not really a recommendation: it's a very thin-voiced and quiet instrument and I would be sceptical about the quality of their mandolas. The repairs needed sound fairly substantial, and may well be more than itemised in the description: the bridge position looks wrong and may be an indication of more extensive warping of top and/or neck, in which case decent intonation may be impossible. Doesn't sound appealing to me at any price. Incidentally, I strongly suspect that the "pickguard" is no such thing: on my mother's it's a patch of black paint on the top, no actual inlay or stratch protection.

Martin

Ian's Stridente auction went quite well. That Stridente will require a little bit of work too.

I was thinking that Miroglio would be a good practice piece but after seeing the shipping costs I'll rule it out. I'll find a US dog someday no hurries. Thanks Martin. John
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

Hello Jim,

Here is a picture of a photo album of mine, which I have completely forgotten, when we discussed the Puglisi on ebay. Look at the picture. It looks the same.

Good luck!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2347.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	5190  

Quote Originally Posted by (guitharsis @ Nov. 27 2004, 15:59)
    Ian's Stridente auction went quite well. #That Stridente will require a little bit of work too.
    Yes, indeed. Prices seem to be going up all around. I think this is also testament to the wisdom of having good detailed descriptions -- Ian seems to be doing very well with his auctions because buyers can have the confidence of knowing precisely what they're getting.

Martin

As I had noted on another thread, there were quite a few bowlbacks at CMSA. I saw three Pandinis (mine, Carlo's and another one played by another Carlo's disciple) a good handful of Calaces, the Embergher liuto and a a good gaggle of Vegas and Washburns.

So, even in the US there is a mild trend.

Jim

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Hello,

The Albertini ´trainwreck´ arrived some days ago and not much is wrong with it; some pearl of it´s Mother is missing, a nice rosewood crack at the back and of course some pegs to add. But that´s all.

Nicely sawn and still dead straight fingerboard and a strong and flat soundtable. All in all a fine and interesting instrument.

Greetings,

Alex.

Name:	Lombardische_mand_Sira.JPG 
Views:	212 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	5192  

Excellent, Alex. It sounds like you are pleased with your purchase. Glad to have had a part in making it happen.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Yes Jim very much so! And also happy to have such fine pupils who see the beauty of the various mandolin types and want to play them.

You played a much bigger part in the Brescian one. For which many thanks go in your direction!
    Here a picture of both the Albertinis.

Greetings,

Alex.

Copyright Photo Alex Timmerman ©

Name:	Lomb_and_Bresc.JPG 
Views:	211 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	5193  

Oops! That's right! I had nothing to do with the Lombard but with the Brescian.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

A seemingly clean Brandt on the bay. Currently $56, 37 hrs to go, reserve not met.

Uhm... so the Brescian Albertini is the four-stringed one? And the other one, (judging from the holes left by the missing pegs) the 12-string instrument, is a what?

Among such erudite company, I cannot help but lose track of who-is-who and what-is-what...
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

Yup, the 4-stringer is Brescian, and, nope, the 6-string instrument is a Lombard mandolin. Violin-like, one peg per string and the pegs go all the way through.

Ah... capito. Thanks, Eugene. And Sr. Albertini —deliberately, just so as to confuse the likes of me— built some of both kinds, eh? *sigh*

They do look lovely, though...
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

What make and gauge of strings are you using on the Brescian-type mandolin, Alex? How do you like the response?

Hello Eugene,

For the Mandolino Bresciano I use gut strings for the 2 highest ones and silver (nylon-)silk wound for the 2 lower strings. And that is also what I would recommend you for yours.

The Mandolino Lombardo is strung with gut for the 3 highest ones and, again, silver (nylon-)silk wound for the 3 lower strings.

If you do not have the possibility to string your mandolin(s) with gut strings, you can also put plain nylon- as an alternative for the plain gut strings.

These strings I order directly from Sebastian Nuñez in Utrecht (Netherlands).

Greetings,

Alex

PS. In order to know what precise thickness is needed for your Brescian mandolin, it is best to measure the vibrating string-lenght of your instrument and give that and the pitch of the mandolin type to Sebastian (or to your own string man/woman). Most of the time his calculations are pretty acurate. Succes.

Copyright Photo Alex Timmerman ©

Name:	Futen.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	5207  

Hello Victor,

Carlo Albertini (and his sons) also build the Neapolitan- and Roman mandolin types.

Fun isn´t it?!

Greetings,

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by (martinjonas @ Nov. 21 2004, 07:28)
    Quote Originally Posted by (martinjonas @ Nov. 19 2004, 18:37)
    This Ferrari is interesting in view of the discussion of Alban Voigt we had a few months ago: This one has the Voigt address on the label, the same as the Ceccherinis.
    This has now finished, and I'm baffled. #Am I missing something? #£166 for the Ferrari, without a bridge, without a nut, with one fret missing, at least some visible warping of the top and who knows what other defects.
    As seems to be the case quite often, this (relatively) high-rolling auction has flooded other Ferraris onto the market:
    this one looks in decent shape. The decoration isn't much to my liking, but the buyer gets several tortoiseshell plectrums with it, which on their own are quite valuable these days. I note that the label on this one does not refer to Alban Voigt. Here is another Ferrari, much more basic and in much worse condition (no tuners and no bridge, two splits to bowl).

Martin

I do like the satinwood binding on the first. However, I'm not much for scrolled pearl lozenges set in black mastic.

Here is a nice looking Lyon & healy-made Ditson. The seller ackowledges "two hair line cracks in the top;" one might be hairline, but the other is pretty evident and might need some attention. Still, top cracks are rarely a big issue.

Alex -

What are those interesting, um, things at the tops of those headstocks called? They must have a name, but I have never seen or heard it.

Every time I see those, I think they need either a tiny miniature painting or a mirror mounted on them.

Maybe even a smiley-face!

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by (bratsche @ Dec. 02 2004, 15:46)
    What are those interesting, um, things at the tops of those headstocks called? #They must have a name, but I have never seen or heard it.
    Not sure of the technical name for those, but it is a typical "crookneck" design somewhat releated to the squash of the same name. High-end Emberghers mandolins have them as well as more modern copies like Pandinis. I always thought that a technically minded person could put a small television set or computer monitor into it.

Jim

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately: