Page 188 of 296 FirstFirst ... 88138163184185186187188189190191192213238288 ... LastLast
Results 4,676 to 4,700 of 7397

Thread: Bowlbacks of Note

Default Re: Bowlbacks of Note

Splendid! Just as I call my cramped corner in the opera pit the Lumbago Triangle. Has a vaguely Caribbean flavor, no?

Back to that Vinaccia, I mused on it, Jim, but got nowhere near actually bidding on it. I am happy with what I already have. Next step --and a TORTUROUS one, as you know-- is whether to make any change(s) on a ~certain~ instrument I have that is wonderful, on one hand, but not quite as I want it to be. Hmm...

I will leave the merry mando-hunt to others, and only enjoy vicariously. Meanwhile, you and I ought to put those instruments we actually have to some good use.

Cheers,

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

I'm another who's not actually looking to make any changes at the moment, but if the exchange rate had been back at what it was last summer, I'd be seriously tempted by the 1910 Calace that's just cropped up in the classifieds. I'm missing my old Calace, and this one has a similar simplicity in its aesthetic which I find very appealing.

Fliss

That 1910 was discussed in an earlier thread here, along with more pics.
    If I didn't already have a Calace I'd like this one myself, if I had the bucks.

Go for it: it looks like a good 'un.

Didn't anyone noticed the Embergher N.2 restored by Kurt Decorte on eBay? Or was everyone lurking there trying to grab it? Lol...

I noticed the Embergher. I am sure that it would be a fine playing one esp after Kurt restored it. It looks like the bowl was completely refinished.

Price is getting up there but Kurt says: "IMPORTANT: If this L.Embergher model 2 1912 not reaching a serious price! 12 hours before the end of the auction I will stop this auction!!"

I wonder what he means by "serious price" and why he just doesn't use a reserve. Of course this was a lit4el while ago when the price was $533/400 euros.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

It's only 8 hours to go and Kurt hasn't cancelled yet, so I would think he's decided to let it run. It's at $1000 so far, and at that price is surely a steal if ever I saw one. Unless all potential buyers are licking their economic crunch sores, I would think it should go for about double the current high bid.

He really should have put a higher minimum bid on, though, if he is nervous about selling under par.

Martin

GORGEOUS! (But no, I am not bidding on this.) Sharp-eyed James of Yorktown does it again: yes, the high-gloss MUST be non-original. Never mind, though. Anyone with the $$$ to go for it... GO FOR IT!!!

Cheers,

Victor

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

I am looking for some information or hypotheses regarding this bowlback that I am just about finished with some extensive repair work on. It carries the familiar Marca Aquila label from the Favila Bros. inside, but on the headstock is the name 'Eko' which, from my limited web searching might reference the Italian guitar (and e-mando) company. It seems a strange juxtaposition, as Eko appears to have been active as a company long after the bowlback era had passed us by.

I sent Tom Favilla a note with a question or two, but thought to post here as well in case someone had some ideas.....

Like the other Favillas I have played, it has great tone and easy playability. Extraordinary projection as well. I have a maple-bowl Favilla on my workbench now that I am looking forward to getting back into playable condition.

Thanks for any help.

Mick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3484.JPG 
Views:	205 
Size:	209.9 KB 
ID:	41936   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3486.JPG 
Views:	168 
Size:	241.4 KB 
ID:	41937   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3487.JPG 
Views:	173 
Size:	270.5 KB 
ID:	41938  

That is a nice one, Mick. Here is the history of the EKO Company. I have a feeling that that Eko might not have been the same company. Maybe Eko was a model name or made for another company by Favilla. I look fwe to Tom's answer.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Thanks for posting the link, Jim. I heard back from Tom Favilla who briefly said there was no official connection between Favilla and Eko for production of instruments. He went on to say that Eko was 'notorious' for adding their logo without agreement to instruments they distributed. That said, the history of the Eko you posted suggests a much later company than when this bowlback was almost certainly made (Eko coincidentally was active during the period when Tom Favilla was most involved with the family business.) It is possible, I suppose, that Eko added their logo to a vintage mandolin for resale, but that seems strange. Still, the Eko logo seems in a type-style that is 'older' than the more modern logo seen on 60s era Eko guitars and mandolins. That it is inlaid in MOP is also curious, given the easier options of decal or glue-on. An interesting conundrum around a very nice mandolin, that I was fortunate to come by, but a mystery I don't feel certain I will solve.....

Coincidentally, the Eko history has the founders originating in Castelfidardo, home of Paolo Soprani and his wing of accordion history. We are planning a summer visit over that way to do some hiking around La Golla dell'Infernaccio (and of course a visit to il museo della fisarmonica, twist my arm.) A man can serve two masters, apparently.

Mick

Pretty...

Scrooge's Prediction: won't sell; listed again, for less; still won't sell; listed YET again (for even less); snapped via private deal, for undisclosed amount (NOwhere near $10K).

Cheers,

Victor

Victor is probably right tho I feel that the main impediment to its sale is the fact that it is in the US. That price is generally in line with recent sales I have known about tho. I think it might sell for less but not that much less. Cerrones are considered by some to be the higher quality of performance instrument than much earlier Emberghers.

Also, I was just informed by one of our Embergher experts that Domenico Cerrone died in 1954. This is certainly be one made in heaven. :-)
    Last edited by Jim Garber; May-13-2009 at 1:16pm.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

I asked the seller to post a photo of the label. I suppose this could have been built by Pecororaro or Cerrone's son under the Embergher label at that time.

While we are waiting I did a screen shot of a Google street view of Via Belsiana somewhat near #6 (Embergher shop was at 7). Not sure where the shop would have been or the building might have been torn down or Google is inaccurate.

Name:	via-belsiana.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	120.5 KB 
ID:	42347  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Someone was hot on the trail of this Vinaccia. I was not quite sure if it was genuine, but probably just a budget model. Needs a little help with that soundport. The seller also tells me that the bridge is glued on.
    Last edited by Jim Garber; May-15-2009 at 12:43pm.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Here is a 12 string Oscar Schmidt on shopgoodwill.com.

Name:	12sting OS.JPG 
Views:	159 
Size:	14.5 KB 
ID:	42428  
    Bill Snyder

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Snyder View Post
    Here is a 12 string Oscar Schmidt on shopgoodwill.com.
    Looks like she's been around the block some. I can't tell but top looks sunk and the fretboard definitely is dried out and cracked, and there is a small back crack.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

I can't tell about the top being sunk and there is not a shot showing whether the neck is bowed or not and the fretboard is a candidate for being replaced but that is not too difficult to do.
    Bill Snyder

I'm curious about this unlabelled bowlback on e-bay. Looks nice quality, in fact to my eyes it looks rather like a Ceccherini. It even looks as though it might have a Ceccherini-style double soundboard, if that's what I can see peeping through the soundhole?

Fliss

I think that is a nice looking mandolin Fliss, whatever the maker. Martin has seemed the most able around here at divining Ceccherinis.

What type of wood does the bowl look like to you? Is that washed-out rosewood? Walnut? It almost has the coloring of chestnut in these pictures, but that would be quite curious.

Mick

Looks more DeMeglio... unoriginal bridge but it looks like there are two bolt holes on the tailpiece side of the bridge for that wooden piece as opposed to the Ceccherini's 4 sets of staples to hold the strings at that point. What you may be seing that looks like a double top is the transverse bridge. of course, I may be wrong but we can't really tell from these photos.

I would ask to see a good sideview of the top. I don't know why but these tops lately to me are all looking flattened. Maybe my vision is flattening??
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    ... Martin has seemed the most able around here at divining Ceccherinis. ....
    Yes, I'm hoping Martin will chip in with some comments. I'm not planning to buy it, I'm just inquisitive!

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    ... What type of wood does the bowl look like to you? Is that washed-out rosewood? Walnut? It almost has the coloring of chestnut in these pictures, but that would be quite curious....
    Mmm, I thought rosewood, but I could easily be wrong Did the Neapolitan makers use walnut much?

Jim, well spotted re the staples, I forgot about them.

Fliss
    Last edited by Fliss; May-16-2009 at 2:34pm. Reason: extra comment

Quite clearly not Ceccherini -- wrong headstock, wrong bowl, wrong neck shape and most importantly wrong aesthetic taste. Even the overdecorated Ceccherinis always have a certain sense of elegance and levity, which is completely missing here. Might be de Meglio (some of their fancier models are similarly unsubtle to this one), but it could just as well be a clone. Whichever it is, I don't much like it, neither the design nor the condition, although of course it does have some quality and is certainly worth much more than its modest current bid. I just won't be in the running.

Martin

No surprise that there isn't one bid for the Embergher 5 bis. Looks like a beautiful instrument but the guy might want to lower the price a bit, especially since the binding around the sound hole is coming out. I wish I had the 10k to buy it. Still water the money tree but not one leaf has bloomed.

One of my students recently ordered a new Calace Classico B, which arrived yesterday. She requested the armrest from the Classico A, and the metal backing for the headstock, which they did. I think they did a fantastic job -- the instrument sounds beautiful already and with a little time to get used to the schizophrenic New York climate, it will really mature well. I'm also quite impressed by the deal she got for it. I won't reveal what she paid for it, but it was an excellent price for an instrument like this one.

Name:	calace 001.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	42552   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	calace 002.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	42553   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	calace 003.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	42554  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	calace 004.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	42555