Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lyon & Healy factory tour, 1895

Thanks to the fascinating Google Book Search I came across this article from an 1895 issue of Music, a Monthly Magazine. It describes a visit to the Lyon & Healy factory in Chicago and has a few paragraphs that talk about mandolin building practices before moving on to guitars, banjos and harps.

Here's the link:
    http://books.google.com/books?v....s_brr=1

John G.

it might just be me - but I can't figure out how to drive that link...
    so many mandolins - so little money...

Quote Originally Posted by (fiddlinfool @ Oct. 05 2006, 09:44)
    it might just be me - but I can't figure out how to drive that link...
    In my browser, anyway, I could just left-click on the page and the next one popped up. The two little arrows flanking the page number at the top and bottom also provided nagivation to the adjacent pages, and the page-number box allows for jumping to a specific page.

It's an interesting read, John.

Thanks for posting the link.

I love the admiring bits about the newfangled equipment such as spindle saws for cutting fret slots and whatnot. I suppose that might explain the erratic intonation on some of those old factory-made mandolins. They must be the ones that were fretted once that gizmo had been running for a while and the little circular saws had all shifted from their original positions on the spindle . . . just enough to make getting the thing in tune impossible.

Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

Thanks so much for posting this. I love this kind of stuff. I just reposted the link on the Martin forum as well with props to you for the finding

I'm really enjoying the Google Book Search (no, I don't have any connection with Google outside of being a librarian who trys to keep up with what they're doing) and I've found lots of really interesting books using both the regular and the "full view" search options. I especially enjoy the illustrations in this article, it helps me imagine what the place was like back then. It would be interesting if one our Chicago area board members could snap and share a digital photo of whatever is at the corner of Ogden Ave. and Washington Blvd. today. Is this still Lyon & Healy property?

John G.

Mandolin tragic Graham McDonald's Avatar

Perhaps it is just that it is a slow Friday afternoon,and the brain is not working a full capacity, but all I get is a 'snippet', and I can't work out how to see the whole thing....

thanks

graham

Graham & fiddlinfool, I'm not tech-savvy enough to know why the link behaves differently for you than it does for me. I've tried it on three different computers on two different networks and it works everytime for me. All three machines are running windows with Firefox as the default browser. Sorry for any frustration you're experiencing.

John G.

Still no success, both at work on a Windows box and at home on a Mac laptop. If this is a part of Googles 'scan the world's book and put them online' idea, is a pdf of this article available. Could one of those people who can download it, just forward it on if that is allowable.

Thanking someone in advance

graham

Graham:
    That pdf is over 300 pages and is over 15MB. I have downloaded it and would be glad to send it to you, if you can handle a file that big. PM me.

I have it on my home computer and could do it tonight or tomorrow.

Jim

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Hello Jim,

If it doesn't strain your connection to much, that would be great. My email is graham@mcdonaldstrings.com

thanks

graham

Quote Originally Posted by
    It would be interesting if one our Chicago area board members could snap and share a digital photo of whatever is at the corner of Ogden Ave. and Washington Blvd. today. Is this still Lyon & Healy property?
    I am thousands of miles away from there and my telephoto lens is simply lacking, but Lyon and Healy is doing exactly what it started out doing 116 years ago or so: they make harps.

And they are still at that same location. . . .
    ph

º º º º º º º º º º º º º º º
    Paul Hostetter, luthier
    Santa Cruz, California
    www.lutherie.net

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Hmm. Paul, these look like different (or else significantly remodeled) buildings. Any confirmation that a fire destroyed the initial building/factory, or was it a victim of 'progress' as so many Chicago landmarks were?

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

I suspect that Google is filtering IP numbers by country: I get the same as fiddlinfool (in Canada) and Graham (in Australia) -- a useless two-line snippet of the contents of this book with no link or option for getting anything more. It seems to me that Google may only make this file available for users in the US. Anybody outside the US who manages to get this link to work?

Martin

Graham:
    I trie to send the file to you but it blunced back since it is prob too big for the current setting of your email.

I uploaded the whole file to this address.

Anyone who needs to, feel free to download it. The chapter we are interestde starts on page 362. I tried to extract the pages in Acrobat to make a smaller file, but it did not quite work.

Jim

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Mick - the second photo and the catalog image are both the same building, look again. The facade was changed, but the windows are the same. There was an earlier L&H building, at least according to an old catalog cover I saw once, with horses in front. But I think the fabled fire (I'm not sure there really was a fire, it might be like the CF Martin fire that never happened) took place in this building.

In any case, cribbing from Bob Devellis's page, during the 1920s, Lyon & Healy evolved from an instrument builder to a musical wholesaler. Perhaps they were just prescient. In 1928, Tonk Bros. bought the wholesale division. That same year, the J. R. Stewart Co. acquired the machinery and patent rights for the Lyon & Healy fretted instruments. (They did their best to produce instruments built to the same quality standards as Lyon & Healy but were bankrupt by 1930, about five months after the stock market crashed.) Also in 1928, the Holton Co. took over Lyon & Healy’s band instrument production. So, by the end of that year, only harps continued to be made by Lyon & Healy – as they are to this day.

According to George Manno, Joseph Zorzi was the person in charge of Lyon & Healy's mandolin production in the early 1920's. He and Philip Gabriel made the bodies while their colleague, Fritz Brunner, made the necks and carved the lovely scrolls on the Style A's. The later asymmetrical Style As were renamed the Washburn “Deluxe.” From 1928, when Tonk Bros. took over Lyon & Healy but continued production of this instrument line, they were referred to as “Washburn by Tonk Bros.” They were finally discontinued in the 1930s, having a run of less than 20 years.
    ph

º º º º º º º º º º º º º º º
    Paul Hostetter, luthier
    Santa Cruz, California
    www.lutherie.net

Jim.

Thank you again, and to delsbrother for his sage advice. The pdf is downloading as I type

cheers

graham

Paul,

I can't quite tell from the photos but I imagine the building might have gone through a full facade 'face lift' to be the same as in the photo. The corner windows are different on the newer photo, being two separate windows rather than the common "Chicago Window" horizontal in orientation with two subdivisions as you see in the older photo. The number of 'bays' is the same, as the location of the string course moldings. The newer building has a distinct 'piano nobile' or elaborated second floor, which the older photo lacks. The older photo has attached flat classiscal 'pilasters' in the upper zone of the typical, base-column-shaft set up that many buildings from this era rely on. (And what Louis Sullivan, for instance, worked against.)

Many, many Chicago buildings share these basic features. I'm an architect and many of these things are as tell-tale as binding details, etc. on instruments. I wish I was better at identifying both!

Anyhow, thanks for the addition to the L+H history thread. So much architectural history has been lost in Chicago that it remains fairly hallowed ground.

I hope this thread scares up more background information on this great company.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

Quote Originally Posted by
    martinjonasI suspect that Google is filtering IP numbers by country: I get the same as fiddlinfool (in Canada) and Graham (in Australia) -- a useless two-line snippet of the contents of this book with no link or option for getting anything more. It seems to me that Google may only make this file available for users in the US. Anybody outside the US who manages to get this link to work?
    The answer from the Netherlands Antilles is "no." Just a useless snippet. If I follow the link that says "back to search results", I get an enormous list of books, but the choice of "Full View" is grayed out in each listing.

Google is great for this kind of thing. I have it set to a preference of Japanese for the interface language, which works fine everywhere but Canada. In Canada, I get the choice of an English screen (from which I can select Japanese) and a French screen (from which I can select Japanese).
    Affordable lots in the Dutch Caribbean
    http://www.bellavistabonaire.com
    Bought a tricordia

Martin - it's hard to nitpick when one is a drawing and the other is a photo. Both show exactly the same number of windows in the same configurations of twos and threes, top to bottom, side to side. Just the tile facade from sidewalk to the top of the second story is significantly different. Moreover, the photograph is specifically identified at the Lyon and Healy building and it looks just like the Lyon and Healy I have been in. It's a real institution in Chicago.

Paul,

I'm no historian, architectural or otherwise, but is seems L+H moved around alot as a business.. In 1916 they moved from their building at State and Monroe to the building on Wabash designed by architects Benjamin Henry Marshall and Charles E. Fox, which I believe your photo is of. Lots of old buildings in the Loop have the same height, size, proportion, window spacing, etc. only the outside 'skin' varying. There is a great book "Form Follows Finance" on the late 19th/early 20th C. development of Chicago buidings and real estate in the Loop. (To an architect's eye the two pictures are as different as a Martin A and a Gibson A.)

Certainly, I've been guilty of not having my buildings appear exactly like my drawings.... so you may be right on, but perhaps what were seeing is two different L+H buildings from two periods of their history. Any idea of the date of the catalog? That ought to resolve the question.

L+H did lose a building during the great Chicago fire, which might be the source of the 'records lost in a fire' rumor, but this was years before their mass mandolin production. They have a new renovated hall over in their HQ on Ogden now, very nice that they are preserving some of their Chicago heritage.

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

What a great read - thanks for the link John.

Mick, they really do look like the same building to me (also an architect...); I think the drawings can't be taken too literally. The classical pilasters that figure strongly in the attic story of the drawing appear more subtly in the photo (if thery're there at all).

Someone should re-take the tour today (maybe for Harper's Magazine...); it would make a great sequel, side by side.

Quote Originally Posted by (jgarber @ Oct. 08 2006, 15:41)
    Graham:
    I trie to send the file to you but it blunced back since it is prob too big for the current setting of your email.

I uploaded the whole file to this address.

Anyone who needs to, feel free to download it. The chapter we are interestde starts on page 362. I tried to extract the pages in Acrobat to make a smaller file, but it did not quite work.

Jim
    Jim - thanks for uploading the file - I really appreciate it.
    -Scott
    so many mandolins - so little money...

Great thread!

The Wabash and Jackson building on the catalog and photo is still there and in use with DePaul university since the 1980s.

Good call about Marshall & Fox - they also designed the Drake Hotel.

L&H is located at Randolph and Ogden, but their current premises are not the same as the original factory building from the late 1880.I visited both sites a few weeks ago and have copies of period insurance maps of the Ogden factory.

Keef,
    How is the history of Washburn/L+H book coming along?
    Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road