Thread: Looking For Advice on Mandolin Purchase

Default Looking For Advice on Mandolin Purchase

Looking to purchase another mandolin, and want some advice. I did a quick search of threads, but all I could see were for beginner mandolins. I would not consider myself a beginner, more a mediocre intermediate player… I currently have a Loar LM-520-VS, and am looking to upgrade. I play mando and acoustic with a singer and another who plays acoustic and electric bass. I’d like a pickup so we can get everything through our PA. There’s not a lot around me (Milwaukee area) that I am aware of, mainly low cost mando’s. I did play a couple Eastmans, the MD615 has a richer, more full tone that my Loar. The same place had an MD915 that sounded very close to the 615, maybe a little bit more full, but no pickup and was out of my price range. How are Eastmans regarded? Are there any others in that price range (I’d like to stay around 2K or under) I should look at? How much do strings make a difference in tone? I use D’addario Phosphor Bronze EJ74’s.

Would appreciate any help.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Looking For Advice on Mandolin Purchase

I think you would get much more bang for your buck getting the best all acoustic you can afford, and fitting it with the best pickup and electrics.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I highly recommend an Eastman 515 MD Cc/N model. You could have a pickup installed like the Twin spot K & K with a Red Eye Preamp probably for under $2000. I have luthier made instruments and find this model REALLY gives them a run for the $$’s. I have no financial interest.
    I am sure if you have a reputable store build this package you will have a wonderful and satisfying mandolin to play. In the future vyou want something different this package will be easily sold through Mandolin Cafe Classified section.
    https://themandolinstore.com/product...tage-mandolin/

https://www.kksound.com/twin-spot

https://www.fire-eye.com/red-eye-1

Short answer is that if the 615 sounds good and you like the feel, IMO, that's not a bad choice. You can save some money with the 605 (A-style) if they have one, and you're not fixed on the F-shape.

BUT, have you considered just putting a K&K in your current mandolin? The whole "upgrade" path is a lot crooked-er than it seems, with the variables of necks, fingerboards, frets and then the kind of sound, bright, mid-rangy, dark & woody, etc., really covering a wide range. You can spend a lot more that your current model's cost and end up with something you don't like...

Otherwise, if you can test the mandolin with the pickup already in it through a PA, that would be ideal. While I don't see installation of the K&K as a big obstacle, you can't make assumptions about how the mandolin will sound plugged until after you've bought the mandolin and paid for the pickup and installation. My sense is that it [i.e., K&K's output in any mandolin] is not as variable as the acoustic guitar world, but, still, there are no guarantees, especially if the tech has not installed dozens (IMHO).

p.s. budget for a preamp to go with that K&K if you're going to PA.
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

I agree with Keith. put a K&K in your mando and get a preamp (RedEye is what I use). Save up for something you really like while you play plugged in and you will have a backup performing mandolin when you upgrade.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Thanks for the response. I thought about putting a pickup in the current one, but I figured if there was something nicer out there, why not get a better instrument as well? I did think there was a definite difference between my Loar and the 615, I played them side by side. I also like spending money on music stuff, so there's that...

Teacher, repair person

Quote Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
    Short answer is that if the 615 sounds good and you like the feel, IMO, that's not a bad choice. You can save some money with the 605 (A-style) if they have one, and you're not fixed on the F-shape.
    I agree.
    I consider the Eastman 500 and 600 series to be a sound purchase, and [imo] a better choice than most others in the same price range.
    And there's a distinct advantage to buying one you have actually played to make sure the sound suits you and the neck fits your hand.
    It wouldn't hurt to budget a little extra for a set-up if it hasn't already been done.

The Mandolin Store does have a couple of used or blemished instruments at a favorable price, but you would have to factor in the cost of shipping and the price of installing a pickup. And if the sound or the neck didn't fit you, you would have to shoulder the cost of returning the instrument.

Thanks all for the i put. I did notice 2 blemished 615’s at a nice discount at the Mandolin Store, I think I will enquire further.

Playing on the porch

I just got back from a short road trip and rather than contemplating needing to leave my much loved Ellis in a hotel room, I chose to bring my first mandolin, an Eastman 515 on my jaunt. I only needed an instrument to play in my room at night, and although it was not in the same ballpark as my F5 Special, the Eastman 515 did pretty darn well. I do have Thomastik Infeld strings, medium gauge, on both mandolins which I do like. As you can tell, I think the Eastman 515 is a very good intermediate instrument. And, years ago, I did put a pickup in my eastman for a while and it did well. Nowadays, I just play acoustic and for fun, but these are joyous instruments. Have a great time!
    ---
    2021 Ellis F5 Special #564 mandolin
    1928 Roth violin
    2016 Eastman MD515 mandolin
    1907 Foltz violin

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Quote Originally Posted by arrubin13010 View Post
    ... I thought about putting a pickup in the current one, but I figured if there was something nicer out there, why not get a better instrument as well?
    Just my own amateur philosophical-ish thought, but...

The better an instrument is to start with, the greater the chance of a pickup compromising its acoustic tone.
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by EdHanrahan View Post

The better an instrument is to start with, the greater the chance of a pickup compromising its acoustic tone.
    Not true at all, a pickup in my Brentrup has not altered the acoustic sound a bit. I have put them in many instruments and made no difference in the acoustic sound.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pops1 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by EdHanrahan View Post

I agree with Pops. I've installed JJB piezoelectric sounboard transducers in a few dozen instruments - violins, a ukulele, couple violas, multiple mandolins, banjo heads, mandola, octave mandolins, a mandocello, LOTS of guitars and three upright basses.

None of them exhibited ANY change in acoustic tone.

Well, I just ordered an Eastman MD615 from The Mandolin Store. It is a blemish model, and was $500 off of regular. I've played one and like the sound and feel, so I feel this is a good deal and worth taking the chance. Thanks all for your input.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to arrubin13010 For This Useful Post:

<Removed by Moderator. Please limit commerce to the Classifieds.>
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Sep-08-2023 at 4:14pm.
    2010 Campanella A-5
    1923 Gibson A2

Well, I just ordered an Eastman MD615 from The Mandolin Store. It is a blemish model, and was $500 off of regular. I've played one and like the sound and feel, so I feel this is a good deal and worth taking the chance. Thanks all for your input.
    You’ve chosen wisely.
    “Mandolin brands are a guide, not Gospel “
    - Data Nick

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Sounds like you got a great deal! I bought an Eastman several years ago that was advertised as “blemished” at a discount, but I was hard pressed to find the blemish(es). Fit and finish on Eastmans is pretty good for their price point.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff