Thread: Bowing necks

Is it common for a mandolin neck to bow? What would cause this to happen? Seasonal tweaking is one thing, but has anyone ever awoke to find their mando resembling a ski ramp?

-jonathan
    And now for today's weather....sunny, with a chance of legs

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe." - Abraham Lincoln

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

It is not typical. But we need to know what kind of mandolin, whether it has a truss rod, etc. before a fix can be suggested. It may be fixable, it may not, depending on the degree of bend, whether a truss rod is present,etc.
    A pic would help.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

The mandolin is a Dearstone model F-5M, #84RM 6/15/99. Right now, there is no neck problem, but the neck did bow back in April and was repaired locally. I purchased this mandolin last week from a friend who gave me a friendly price and even knocked some more off because of the previous neck problem.

The mandolin is a good one, maybe even a great one, and everyone who has played it loves it....especially me! I spoke to Ray Dearstone about the the neck issue and he said he would fix it for me if the problem returns. The local luthier who did the repair back in April used a steam press and there is plenty of adjustment left in the truss rod.

If the problem returns, Ray will remove the figerboard and shave the neck which he said will fix the problem permanently. The frets are getting close to needing to be replaced anyway, so that will be the perfect time to send it back to Ray to have a look at it.

All in all I'm very satisfied with my purchase, I just would like to get better educated about it, and this seems like a good place to ask.

Thanks
    -jonathan

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe." - Abraham Lincoln

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

If it happens again, let Dearstone fix it. He makes great mandolins according to all accounts and will fix it correctly.
    Sometimes bad wood happens, or a good piece of wood is put into an instrument just a little too soon.
    However, people can cause an instrument to warp. Leaving it in a hot car is a sure way to get a warp. So is letting it dry out to much, or get wet.
    As long as this one stays straight, enjoy it.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

Thanks, I'm hoping the neck stays straight. It has been stable for over five months, but when I spoke to Ray, he didn't think that the steam press would hold permanently and he didn't recomended this approach for a fix. As to the cause, I guess it could have been any of the ones you mentioned.

If the neck does warp again I'll definitely send it off to Ray

Thanks
    -jonathan