Thread: length of fingernails

Dear fellow mandoholics,

Allright, I have observed this strange phenomenon for a number of years and have yet not been able to explain it:

I noticed that the length of my fingernails (left and right(!)) have a noticable inpact on my tone; when I cut the nails on my left (fretting) hand, the TONE improves noticeably. Not that they have been long before cutting , I cut them from "short" to "as short as possible". This is weird because
    a) I could see a point when it comes to accuracy which is easier to obtain with short nails. But tone?
    b) Should it not be irrelevant how a string is fretted since the tone is created by the vibrating string (bridge to fret) and not behind it?

Also, I hold the pick with three fingers and the tip of my middle finger slightly touches the strings when playing a downstroke. Again, the sound improves when the nail is very short. I donīt fully understand that either because it only affects downstrokes and even then, the finger touches the string before the pick and therefore should not be relevant for the tone.

Am I missing something? Iīve been observing this for a number of years and to me, the difference in tone is dramatic! Did anybody else observe this too or am I just plain weird?
    Who am I and if yes, how many?

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

I found that I use my fingers differently with different nail lengths. This is not a conscious thing - angle and pressure change involuntarily, probably in order to keep the nails out of the way, or out of harm's way - whatever. Different angle/pressure makes different tone, I think. This effect is the stronger, the smaller the instrument, i.e. the more important exact finger placement is.

Bertram
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Yes, this could well happen on a subconcious level, I have noticed that too. But I still wonder why the tone changes. On a violin, it would be obvious. But on fretted instruments, what is the difference? A fret is a fret is a fret. The longer I play, the more elusive "tone" becomes to me. Seems that there are much more factors involved in getting good tone than we are aware.
    Who am I and if yes, how many?