Thread: Info on Poe Mandolins

I am seriously considering ordering an F style from Andy Poe.
    I like the idea of supporting a young builder and from his sight , his work looks great.

I know a number of you folks have a Poe and I would like to know your opinions.

Are they as good as a Phoenix, or Collings for exanple?. Is he on another level? The next Dudenbostal?

It is hard to buy sight unseen but I am leaning in Andy's favor.

Thanks
    Mark

Georgetown Indiana, Across the creek from Louisville KY.

I own Poe #5. Now I have never owned a Collings to compare it with but I have only had this mandolin for one month exactly, I try to play it a little everyday. Somedays more than others, but the sound and tone on this beautiful mandolin is really opening up and is sounding better everyday. It is hard to compare Andy's work to that of Dude or Gilchrist because they have so much more experience, I would like to compare Andy's work to those builders back when they had only 30-40 mandolins under thier belt. Is he the next Dude or Gil? That depends on if he stays with it, I believe he is well on his way. The quality of material and workmanship on Andy's mandolins is top notch. I have showed my mandolin to a dealer and someone who owns Gilchrists, Dudes and a couple Loars and they both gave me their honest opinions on the POE. They both thought that it sounded great and they both thought I got my moneys worth and then some. I am very happy with my POE and would recomend him as a builder to anyone. If you have any other questions, PM me and I would be glad to talk to you a little more in depth.
    Poe#5, Neely#72, Kentucky KM 150 (The Bagram Beater)
    http://WWW.myspace.com/easternskybluegrass
    http://www.myspace.com/darrintissandier

Default Re: Info on Poe Mandolins

I own Poe Scout #75. It's a Gibson Army/Navy style mandolin that Andy made for me last year. You can see pictures of it on Andy's website www.poestrings.net. It is a wonderful instrument to say the least.

I also have a 2009, Phoenix Bluegrass and I would say the quality of the Poe Scout is as high as the Phoenix's. I think Andy is a top-notch luthier and I'm sure you will love whatever he builds for you.
    2009 Phoenix Bluegrass

Mark,
    You will never regret having one of Andy Poe's mandolins. His selection of wood, attention to construction and aesthetic detail are impressive. Playability and tone are all you could ask for. I have one of Andy's earlier F4 hybrid Driftwood #20, a Scout #53, and Scout #61, and another on the way. I have a Collings mt2V and Andy's workmanship is comparable with great fit and finish and amazingly clean lines. Where Andy shines is his sense of design and selection of materials that just seem to pull everything together with that WOW factor. If that isn't enough, he is a great person to work with.

I totally agree with you guys, but do you realize Mark’s post is over 12 years old?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
    I totally agree with you guys, but do you realize Mark’s post is over 12 years old?
    That seems to happen a lot here, just read another one someone posted from years ago. I have done it too, search for something, read it and post only to find out it's almost as old as I am, well almost.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

7. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

I'd love to know how he got on with his Poe. Beautiful looking instruments.

I can tell you I got along great with my Poe. I’ve had it for 11 years now. It stands up to mandolins I paid several times over what I paid for it. And such a beauty. A lifer for me.

You will not be disappointed. I have Poe F #71...probably his last F build. 3 years old and just buzzing. I had a 2 pt of his that got me the bug and I sold my Gibson F5G to get that one made. Would put it up with any you have mentioned. Fit and finish that are top notch bar none but for me the sound is what its all about. Plus Andy is a great guy to deal with. He was close enough to go and meet and pick up. Class from top to bottom. Oh I see where his post his REAL old. Sorry, nothing like being a Poe boy.

Registered User mandolin breeze's Avatar

Gotta chime in here . . . I own Andy's F5 #17. Ditto to all the accolades on Poe mandolins. It's one of the finest I've ever owned or played - in a word, fabulous.

I'm going to list it very soon in the classifieds as I'm retired and need to downsize a good bit so I can travel and not worry about them. Here's a couple links for my photos and info.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BU5gztCweKHaQKQA8

https://mandolins.wixsite.com/info/poe-f5

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	212.2 KB 
ID:	172694