Thread: England Mandolins

Georgetown Indiana, Across the creek from Louisville KY.

Seen a guy play one at Dollywood a couple years ago. It sounded nice, haven't seen a lot of them around though. Might be a pretty small builder but I'm not sure.
    Poe#5, Neely#72, Kentucky KM 150 (The Bagram Beater)
    http://WWW.myspace.com/easternskybluegrass
    http://www.myspace.com/darrintissandier

I saw a guy on RFD-TV playing Bill Monroe's My Last Days on Earth using an England Mandolin along with a guitar player.Sounded great!
    Jason

Lefty JBovier F5 Tradition, Lefty Mid-Mo M1

England mandolins are built by Bryan England in Caneyville, KY. He runs "Custom Inlay" and offers lots of services for mando builders in addition to putting out his own mandolins. Bryan's a good guy too.

I heard and played two at Kaufman's Kamp. #One was owned by a TN flatpicker and it sounded very good. #The other was owned by a sixteen year old named Jackson who was with Marty Lanham and the young man could flat out PLAY!! #He was a killer Monroe style player and his mandolin sounded very, very good. #He had worn out places on the top from playing his lightning fast downstroking style and maybe he had broken his in more than the other one, but it sounded very good in my hands and fantastic in his. #I think #these mandolins should be seriously considered by bluegrassers - on a budget or not. #I could say they sound great for the money, but really, they just sound great.

Rick in Memphis

doesn't he make one that is big-bodied?
    Wes
    "i gotta fever...and the only prescription is more cowbell!!"

'87 Flatiron A5-JR/'25 Gibson A-JR

I also saw a band at Dollywood earlier this summer where the mandolin player had an England (the name of the band escapes me, but they had a very good female singer who also played mando). The mandolin sounded very good (I'm pretty sure it was the larger body model) and England is in my top 5 mandos for sound for the money. The appearance was not to my taste, but the larger body is a very interesting concept.
    Mandolin obsessed, since 2001

I jammed with a guy with an England F5 and it sounded great. As good or better than my A9.
    She was only a whiskey maker, but he loved her still.

I aquired my England Mandolin In January and love it. Big bodied and great sound. I havent played my Unicorn since then. Please let me know if you need any help or info. I live very close to the factory. The Mando player for the Primitive Quartet has a very fancy one with custom inlay. Mine has the Tortis binding and flat finish. I also had mine built with the Hamlett Tailpiece. Mine has special inlays in the headstock with a Cross and my Initails. My son and I play a special photo session soon. Look at them, You'll like them.

Bob Osborne used to push these, the neck was so full of inlay, it looked white. The one I played had a strong sound.

Quote Originally Posted by (Hoosierpred @ Sep. 06 2006, 17:04)
    I also saw a band at Dollywood earlier this summer where the mandolin player had an England (the name of the band escapes me, but they had a very good female singer who also played mando). #The mandolin sounded very good (I'm pretty sure it was the larger body model) and England is in my top 5 mandos for sound for the money. #The appearance was not to my taste, but the larger body is a very interesting concept.
    The band is Naomi & the Wood Brothers. Both Naomi and Rickey Wood have custom made England Mandolins. They look and sound GREAT!

Quote Originally Posted by (craigw @ Sep. 03 2006, 15:21)
    England mandolins are built by Bryan England in Caneyville, KY. He runs "Custom Inlay" and offers lots of services for mando builders in addition to putting out his own mandolins. Bryan's a good guy too.
    Does England sell kits?