Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greg Boyd's House of Fine Instruments

I'll considering purchasing a used instrument from this shop. I'm looking at a 1916 Gibson A model.

I would appreciate any comments from those with experience dealing with this shop, particularly regarding used instruments. I am going to call them tomorrow to inquire about a 48-hour approval period to enable me to play the instrument.

If this is a forum violation, please email me off this thread at michael.plumley@occ.treas.gov.

Thanks, Mike
    WV Mike (but currently living in Pittsburgh, PA)

MIchael, I don't think this is a forum violation, so I'll jump in and say, I've bought 4 instruments from Greg Boyd (only one was used). # I cannot say enough good things about Greg and his shop. # Call him, if you haven't, but be sure to have a cup of coffee with you--it could be a long conversation. #He will probably play that mandolin for you over the phone ( probably a pointless exercise, but he does it do me all the time, and I laugh). #

If you are wondering about his reliability, integrity, knowledge, forget it. #He's easily among the best. #I'm sure others here will say the same. #Good luck.:laugh:

Truly none finer than the fine one at the House of Fine Instruments.

Proceed with utmost confidence.

mike-
    it is my curse to live within walking distance of greg boyd's place. i've bought alot of stuff from greg over the years(3 mandolins, 1 mandola, 1 electric guitar, and 1 fender amp so far). greg is a great guy to deal with, and so are the other folks that work there.
    i have played the mando that you're thinking about, and i think it's one of the best sounding gibson a's that i've played. luckily, i already have one, or i'd be trying to get it.
    john
    "it's not in bad taste, if it's funny" - john waters

I have never bought an instrument from Greg but I have bought a bunch of accessories and the sort things from him. He is a GREAT guy. He offers informative service and is a real pleasure to deal with. I would definitley give him a ring.
    Phyn

He got my Weber custom order and handled it with care. Very good to talk tone with, great follow up too. He took the extra time out to get me exactly what I was looking for. Give him a call and talk some shop, see for yourself. I don't think you will be disappointed in any way.
    cheers!
    Russ

RR

I have dealt and talked with Greg from time to time and as everyone says, he is a good guy to deal with. It's always good to talk to him.
    Hubert

Let me add my voice to the list of satisfied customers. I recently purchased a new mando from Greg and he was great to work with. Definitely a guy who is not just in it for the money.

John Goodin

Just another "me-too" in the praise of Greg Boyd as a dealer, just be prepared to drink coffee and pick and hang out.
    Mike

I have to agree with John, that is very nice Gibson A. i'VE BOUGHT TWO VINTAGE GUITARS FROM gREG AND i KNOW i'LL BUY SOMETHING IN THE FUTURE. GOOD GUY TO DEal with! sORRY ABOUT THE CAPS...
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

I purchased a Givens A3 from Greg last year. I was concerned buying a used instrument from the other side of the country, but Greg was great to work with. A pleasure to talk to also.
    Bud Martin
    http://www.mrbbluegrass.com
    Kimble A5
    Kimble F5
    Gibson F4
    Old Wave F5

Gosh, I love this place! That you so much for the feedback, even form those who have played this specific mando. I'll let you know the rest of the story.

Thanks again, Mike

I spoke with Greg this afternoon. He played it (or maybe it was a Dude or Gil.)over the phone for me. That did it for me.

It looks like the 1916 Gibson will be making a flight to WV this week.

I just need to do some banking (out of my slush fund) in the morning and buy my wife some flowers or something..maybe tell her I won it in a sweepstakes or something

It's probably a good thing I'm back on the road for the next six weeks.

Thanks again for all your help. I'll post after I get it.

Mike

Mike -

First, congratulations!

Now, as to what to tell your wife, refer to the following threads:

I May Be In Trouble

and

My Wife Is Mad

Read them carefully, then disregard nearly all of it. #

Good luck and enjoy!
    Gary Blanchard
    Original Acoustic and Electric Music
    http://www.irismusica.net

Gary, it's good to hear from you. #Those posts are a hoot! #I think I'll survive my better half. #I just compromised and told her I wouldn't go on the fishing/camping/jamming trip this weekend with the guys. #Man, but I could be playing my new mando there

You won't believe this..I also bought a real old fiddle for $50 about a month ago while on the road. #It's a homemade older than dirt thing from the Hampton, VA area. She's ok about it. #I just got it out of the shop on Friday. #Let's just say that my cost basis kinda doubled plus some with the repair work, strings, new bow, etc. #I had a good fiddle play it this weekend and it's sounds pretty darn good.

One of the benefits of all my business travel is the funding of a slush fund from eating cheap versus getting reimbursed $31 or more per day for meals plus milage money. #The family isn't missing any meals and the bills are still being paid despite my recent MAS I guess I'm a fortunate guy.

Take care, Mike

..two thumbs up for Greg and his crew...nothing but great service and professionalism.....

Well, I did it and followed through on the MAS. #Thanks for the help. #

The old Gibson should me making the trip from Montana to WV next week. #It should be home by the time I get back from my assignment in Kentucky on Thursday. #I have a feeling MK Firefly Custom will be feeling lonely soon.

Mike

"The Rest of the Story"

The 1916 Gibson A arrived via air mail to Charleston, WV on Friday afternoon. She's a beauty and sounds real sweet. My fingers are sore. The mandolin is exactly as represented by Greg Boyd. They did a great job on getting it to me quick and in good condition.

I highly recommend Greg Boyd's House of Fine Instruments.

Don't look for this one to be on in the classified section. The Lord's willing, we will be playing Old Time music for a long, long, time.

Thanks again to all the Cafe members who made, even me, feel comfortable doing an Internet deal. I appreciate it!

Mike Plumley, One Happy Camper

Hey Mike, Happy to hear you got your Gibson. I haven't played an A style Gibson in a Long time. A friend of mine played one on the record we made and it sounded Great. The Weber is sounding better everyday. Got mine from Lanning Music in PA. Great people. Well again, Glad your happy with the new mandolin. Keep Pickin' OL'MG
    That which does not kill me, only makes me stronger

Thumbs up

i NEVER BOUGHT AN INSTRUMENT FROM THEM BUT I HAVE BOUGHT SEVERAL OTHER THINGS FROM THEM. THEY ARE GREAT PEOPLE TO BUSINESS WITH AND I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THEM.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++

Registered Person

Sorry to ressurect this thread, lot's of you think the world of him, so I have to ask, has his email been down for about a month? I've emailed a few times within the last month and have not recieved a reply. He's got some nice stuff there. If anyone knows, please let me know. The last email I sent I had to ask if something I may have written offended, because I get the auto-replies, but no answers.

Use antiquated means of communication!
    Telephone: (406) 327 9925
    Fax: (406) 327 9916

Blog Entries

Here's a novel idea: talk to a human.

The store: 406-327-9916

Always surprised how many people I tell this that email me because someone didn't answer their classified inquiry. "I never thought of that!"

Plus, if everyone thinks email is a 100% sure way to communicate to someone with no chance of technical failure these days, then I'd like to sell you Bill Monroe's mandolin. It's for sale, sitting in my office and I'll take $5,000 for it! I had someone tell me my email giving away CDs got caught in their spam filter because I'd used the word "free" in the subject line. I could go on, but you've heard enough.

Quote Originally Posted by (Scott Tichenor @ Mar. 18 2005, 19:10)
    Here's a novel idea: talk to a human.
    The store: 406-327-9916
    Always surprised how many people I tell this that email me because someone didn't answer their classified inquiry. "I never thought of that!"
    Now Scott, if you manage to understand human language on the FAX number, you are the king of the new world. All I can get is BEEEEEEEEEP !!! (might be really strong language!)

# #

Registered Person

Sorry Scott, not a complaint, but the question was "has his email been down" Not "I need to get in touch with him and I'm crying to you guys 'cause he's not answering me". I know he has a phone. If I'm in dire need, I'll use it. And it is a novel idea, thanx fer the tip, I should call HIM and ask if his email's down.