Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Charlie Derrington gone

This is a great loss to us all. #My prayers and condolences to Charlie's family and friends.

Blog Entries

My thoughts are with his family, friends, and coworkers. Even virtually, he was a likable, approchable, and giving person. He will be missed.
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

i havent posted on here in quite a while, but this is truly horrible news. i hope that everyone on this board can learn something great about life from how he lived his. we should celebrate his life!

we should all play Wayfaring Stranger for Charlie tonight when we get home.

RIP. he's playing with Big Mon now!
    CPD

as shocked and sadded as everyone, that is just NO WAY to go out and i know we will all miss having CD here on the cafe - i always enjoyed his postings and the wealth of knowledge he had to share with everyone.
    truely a great loss

My interactions with Charlie were always a pleasure. He was a great help in getting the Mandolin Archive off the ground, was always available to answer a question, and had a very gentle and helpful way of expressing himself when he'd disagree with something we'd suggest. He was very easy to walk up to and say hello, a great host and ambassador for Gibson, and a fine player as well. I will miss my friend Charlie, the world is a darker place without him on it
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs
    "The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead"

Wanna be manodlin player

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family. Charlie will be missed. I know that Bill and he are playing up yonder right now.
    Ron Lane
    2002 Gibson F-9
    Martin DC-18GTE

What terrible news, such a great loss to the world. May God rest his soul and give comfort to his family and friends in their time of need.
    Foley #268
    Janish #183
    Newell #22
    Weber D-hole Hyalite

Our thoughts and prayers go out to Charlie, his family, his friends. I just lost a picking buddy a couple of days ago. It's terrible to lose such wonderful people. Sad sad sad...

Big Joe,

My heart goes out to you. I know my co-workers are like family, so I can imagine what it must be like at Gibson today. I will keep you and Charlie's family in my prayers.

Paula

May God comfort the family - Charlie had a much larger family, indeed : the mandolin, this CAFE, and Bluegrass Music. Rest easy Charlie - thank you for your contributions. Moose.

Charlie was the friend you seldom saw but was always there. I am grateful to have known him, considered him a friend, and value his contributions on this earth. He made a difference. Thank you Charlie!

Our condolences to his family and Gibson employees.
    ..... f5joe

That's a terribly sad piece of news. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and co-workers.

How very sad. I never met him personally, but everything I ever heard about him from anyone was good. I had the pleasure of being his liaison for a week as special guest on the Co-Mando list. I enjoyed that very much. I wish I had taken him up on the offer to visit Nashville.

My deepest condolences to his family and friends.

Rest in peace, Charlie.

J. Mark Lane
    J. Mark Lane
    Stanley #10 F5
    Pomeroy #72 F4
    Brian Dean #30 Bowlback

May He Rest In Peace.
    David Monaghan

Terrible news. Charlie was one of the THE Most important mandolin figures of our time. We can't replace the Loar knowledge and Loar experience he had. He was an one of the few authorities on the Loar that I always took as the final word on this board. His influence on Gibson OAI is unmistakable. I hope his legacy will last at Gibson. Life is short, sometimes too short to suit those of us left behind.
    I remember talking a while to him in the late 80's (the only time I met him). He was talking about doing something with Gibson on the F5L Monroe Models which I don't think had come out yet. He was very knowledgeable and as kind as could be. And while we were talking he was building a mandolin. I hate to hear of his passing. I wanted to and talk to him again. He will be missed.

Blog Entries

My most sincere condolences to Charlie's family, co-workers and friends. I'm saddened by his loss. I always felt like I was in the presence of a Master just by reading his posts. We should all pick and sing one for Charlie.

Prayerfully,
    Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Ralph Stanley singing "Death is only a Dream" is playing in the background as I am reading these posts. I have a lump in my throat and am so saddened to hear of this news. His family and friends are in my prayers.

When will "people" ever learn? Too many wonderful people are victims of drunk drivers!

Wow. #I only knew him by reputation and his posts here, but the news is so shocking that I really didn't believe it at first. #Prayers for his family and friends. #What a blow for the mandolin brain trust, too.
    Clark Beavans

I never really knew who Charlie Derrington was, until I read of his miraculous work in restoring Bill Monroe's mandolin. Since that time, I have hung on every word that Charlie contributed to this web site. What a special gift Charlie was to this community, and I am sure, to anyone he came into contact with.

We will lift his name in prayer, as well as his family and close friends. This is truly a sad day.

Rest in Peace Charlie.

Carrie and Rick
    Free Book Samples,Lessons,Tab,Mp3s and Video Lessons Now at
    www.bluegrassbooksonline.com

My condolences and prayers go out to the family.

I don't think words can express how much Charlie really meant to all of us here at the cafe. For the last few years, when we talked Gibson, I know most of us thought of Charlie D. as he was "our" connection to the company. He really got to live a dream, and he's told me that so many times, and he loved Gibson but mostly the Mandolin. He once told me that he had always wanted to bring Gibson mandolins back to the same specifications of the Loar era and he got to see that dream become a reality. He was so humbled to be involved in the mandolin projects at Gibson and especially the Master Model's that bear his signature.

To my friend Charlie, I will be celebrating your life today, and while I will truly miss you, you have fulfilled your life-long dream and now it's time for you to enjoy the fruits of your labor. You'll now have a great audience and some of the best pickers to play your mandolins. I'm sure Mr. Bill will play one for you and look down into that mandolin and see it bearing your signature and just wink and say, "It's got that ring to it, don't it!".

Rest in Peace my Friend,

Jim Watts

This appears to be the newspaper account.

I'm feeling a mixture of sadness and anger. I wonder what it will take for people in this country to get serious about dealing with drunk drivers.

M@ñdº|¡ñ - M@ñdºce||º Keith Erickson's Avatar

Our thoughts and prayers to Charlie, his family and Big Joe and Company. It's truly tragic.
    Keith Erickson
    Benevolent Organizer of The Mandocello Enthusiast

Wow.....What shocking news to get hit with this morning. It really saddens me when such a kind and generous person leaves us so early. I only knew Charlie through the Cafe but he was always so willing to talk mandolins and answer any questions about his beloved instrument. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends. Rest in peace Charlie