Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Charlie Derrington gone

There's a nice tribute up at gibson's website. It really chokes me up to know I took his obituary photo. That center picture is part of an image that really sums up how I remember Charlie.

I was in Nashville to record some tracks on Jack Schultz's Loar, and I popped Charlie a message asking if he wanted to meet up and take a look. If you guys recall the story, Jack found out what he had by doing a google search on "Lloyd Loar" and getting in touch with Darryl & me shortly after I'd launched the mandolin archive.

Anyway, we put Jack in touch with Charlie as well to let him know what he'd found, and Charlie just siezed that occasion to show all his best. He invited us up for a visit & tour of Opry Mills, and really made us all feel like royalty. We visited his office, played some Loars (the video clip I posted earlier is also from that visit). Charlie picked up Jack's Loar, prounounced it "a good one", and said the same thing Alan mentions above.. "DO YOU KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE JACK??". He and Danny Roberts both played some tunes for Jack on that Loar while I was checking out Charlie's unsigned right there in his office. He led us through the shop, offered us coffee, and just basically carried on with his day like we worked with him.

On his enthusiasm.. Jamie Wiens happened to arrive at Loar fest in the tiny 1-room bakersfield airport just about the same time as Charlie. Charlie leapt over and said "THERE'S another mandolin player!!" and had a Loar in Jamie's lap before he knew what hit him.

I don't know if I can even count the number of people Charlie introduced me to either through email or in person at Loar fest. Everything he knew about a subject, he would share.

The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs
    "The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead"

wow, I so busy yesterday I didn't see this. The mando world has taken a big hit. He was really nice to me when I met him. He will be missed.
    Rest in Peace Charlie.

He truly will be missed. The mandolin world will never be the same.
    "Can I have a little more talent in the monitors please?"

On behalf of myself, my family and mandolin players up here in the Capital District of New York I'd like to express our sincere condolences to Charlie's family. #He was a true artist and obviously loved by many. #Rest in Peace, Charlie. #Somehow you know he's already met Lloyd Loar...

My family sends our condolences to Charlie' family. At a time like this nothing else makes sense.
    Danny

I flew to Nashville for IBMA last fall, and another guy on the plane turned out to be Charlie's brother. I never met Charlie himself. My thoughts are with Charlie's extended family as well as his wife and daughter.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

My respects and condolences to Charlie's friends and family from me and mine.
    Neil

Laurie and I send our condolences to Charlie's family. #Whenever a younger man dies I feel a tragic loss that one so young should die with his potential unfullfilled. #In Charlie's case I am in awe of his accomplishments, but know there was still so much more to come. #We are in shock and sorrow.
    What a long, strange trip its been.

Dan Linden

I only knew him from his reputation, but his passion for the mandolin and the music could be felt all the way across the Atlantic. What a tragic loss. Rest in peace.

My deepest sympathies to Charlie's family and friends. He will be greatly missed.

Ira
    Ira

2007 Old Wave F Oval #404 (P.J. Special)
    2014 Old Wave C# F Hole (Ira Special)
    Eastwood Mandocaster

I believe that every once in a while God makes a man who is too valuable to be left here on Earth. #

Rest in Peace Mr. Derrington. Your legacy will live forever.

I was in Nashville yesterday for a convention and was excited that a reception was occuring #at the Country Music Hall of Fame. On the ride up from Atlanta a coworker and non musician got an earful about Bill Monroe and Charlie's restoration. We were both eager to see The Mandolin. The reception was in the entry atrium at 6:00 and the Hall was closed.We were out of luck

I just got home and read the news. Our luck obviously was insignificant compared to Charlie unfortunate untimely death caused by a drunk. It is sad for Charlie and the many others who have and will lose ther lives in this manor.

Charlie had respect in the music community that is earned by few. He is mourned by many.
    Jeff A

Charlie was such a gifted, knowledgable man and as all say, a true gentleman and friend. The loss is beyond words.... my heart sinks and feels such anguish for those he loved and laughed with.
    RIP Charlie....

My thoughts and condolences to friends, family and all those that Charlie inspired (I'm lucky to count myself in the latter group). A truely tragic loss for the mandolin community.

Mark McCay-Moran

Very sad news. My thoughts and prayers go out to family and friends.

The Tennesean Brief said:

He gained minor fame for reassembling the Bill Monroe’s smashed 1925 Loyd Loar mandolin.

I would have changed the word "minor" to major"

Like so many others here, I did not know Charlie, and know far too little about his contributions to the world of mandolins- and to the world more generally. #I was always impressed by the balanced and generous tone of his posts here, even in the face of occasional criticism. #The heartfelt thoughts of those who did know him confirm my sense of this generosity, and the profound nature of this senseless loss.

I would add, as well, that while I do not play, or prefer Gibson mandolins, I have a very strong sense that it was Charlie's contributions to Gibson over the last many years that has played an enormous, and consequential role in generating the mandolin revival from which all of us have come to benefit . #For that alone I am, of course, greatful.

If it is not presumptuous, or too close to these tragic events, I would like to suggest that Charlie's legacy and his many gifts might be acknowledged in an appropriate way with a gift that would recognize his passions. #Again, I did not know ANYTHING about him, so I would not assume anything- but as one who so appreciates what he has offered to us, it struck me that a fitting tribute might be something like a scholarship fund established in his name for - perhaps a position at a school of lutherie- perhaps at a celebrated music school - perhaps at something like the Mandolin Symposium. I'm sure this would be a more complicated enterprise than I am envisioning, but I know that I would certainly be willing to contribute to such a memorial fund. I do NOT mean to divert attention from this tragedy in anyway, I simply hope to suggest what strikes me as a fitting tribute to a fine craftsman, musician, colleague, and friend.

Rest in Peace, and many, many thanks.

A scholarship fund, yes, but I'm thinking more along the lines of his daughter or for other immediate needs of his wife. Not too likely the other driver was insured.

Wow…

I didn’t personally have any contact with Charlie, but his reputation is well known and I’ve respected him for a long time.

Amazing how we don’t think about things until it’s too late. #While reading everyone's posts here, I realized that he might be only person that could’ve helped me learn more about my dad’s F4, which was rebuilt by Gibson decades ago after a nasty bout with three flights of stairs (busted neck, caved-in back, etc.). #Ironic that I never considered it very important before today...

I know the American mando community is reeling, but more importantly, it's obvious that the whole world just lost one of it’s precious few good souls left - and the rest of us are worse off, as a result.

I know it will be difficult, but let's all try to fill the void as best we can - gently (as was previously intimated) - but also, as completely and 'goodheartedly' as Charlie would've wanted us to.

I met Charlie once, he was a very nice person to meet. I have asked many silly questions over the years on this forum and Charlie was kind enough to answer all those questions. He was very respectful of everyone, I really appreciated that about him. Charlie and I were about the same age. The son kids me about being an "old man". Charlie was too young to leave us. Life is too short and too precious a thing, Charlie we will all miss you here at the Cafe. I had a dream of traveling to Nashville and purchasing a new Gibson F-5 Fern model and getting to meet Charlie and Big Joe. We are such stuff that dreams are made of, and out little lives are rounded with a sleep. Rest is peace Charlie and say hello to Bill in heaven.

I cannot add much to what has already been said about Charlie Derrington. We met once briefly at Sam Bush's 50th birthday celebration but I felt I knew him better through his presence on the Cafe. I am honored to own a Derrington signed F5. My condolences to family, friends, and the mandolin community.

Doug McCash

Sad news. Not much to add except to offer deepest condolences to his family.

Seth

Again, not much to add, except my thoughts and prayers are with Charlie's work and home families. I just hope that he knew how many people he affected in his lifetime. That's the gift of life: looking back and knowing that you lived a great one. Charlie, you'll be missed greatly here and I know elsewhere.
    42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

# # # :::::::

---Ryan Stackhouse---

My condolences and prayers to Charlie's family and to the friends that knew him.

God bless Charlie Derrington. A great man. Nick
    ntriesch