Thread: help with regluing the back

I have a problem. One of my mandolins is coming apart. The story is that it was left at the post office for three days in the back of the truck in 100+ degree heat. When I got it, it looked fine but there was a tiny separation. I didn't want to cause any problems for the builder and felt it was going to be ok. Then a couple of months later, I have a problem.

I was playing the other night and the tuning just went nuts. I retuned and then all of a sudden it was going crazy again. I turned the mandolin around looking for the cause and I found it.

The side where the tail piece is connected is coming up and the back is coming off. The back is more than 50% detached in a matter of moments. I immediately loosened the string tension and lowered the bridge.

I contacted the builder and he told me to find someone to do the repairs. I thought he would offer to repair it for me, but not so.

The only two people I know in the area that could do it live a couple hours to 5 hours away.

If I try it myself, what do I need to do?

I assume I would need to remove the back clean up the old glue on the sides and the back...probably sand it smooth again (the back is not bound). Then I would need to get some glue (I have heard you guys talk about titebond and hide glue...I don't have experience with either).

As for the side where the tailpiece is mounted...will it need to be supported or strengthened now that it has come up once...it didn't move much and I don't think any of the wood is broken? If so, what do I do?

Once I glue it back together, what do I do to make sure there is constant connection and that there will be proper contact until it is dry? Also, how long will it take to dry and be solid?

Thanks
    Denny

Denny-- can you post pics of this?
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    Phoenix Neoclassical #256
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!

Tony Bare

If this is a new instrument- give the builder another chance to make the repairs or replacement. If you don't get any satisfaction, it would be a favor to the rest of us to post his name so that we know who to do business with.
    Tony Bare

It's not quite that cut and dried, and don't just write off the builder as a bad guy here. Why was it in the back of the post office truck for three days? Did you notify the builder of the problem immediately? Who chose the post office as the carrier? He has a problem that can probably be solved in a reasonable manner but honestly, it isn't automatically the builders problem.

My first suggestion is that you don't do anything to do this instrument until you either determine you will be doing the repair or you have exhausted other avenues of repair. Undoing a botched repair job is much harder than repairing the initial problem. If you choose to do it yourself then take the time to learn how to do it right.

Judging from the amount of questions you asked, I'd say you would be better to have it professionally repaired rather than doing it yourself.

Find out from the builder what kind of glue was used to build it, and take that info to the repair person whom you get to fix it.
    It should be fine if repaired well.
    (BTW, the back almost certainly does not have to come off.)

Guys, I am not blaming the builder. He has been good to deal with...this isn't his fault. The post office kept the mandolin and claimed they made a delivery attempt on Friday but that nobody was there (I was there waiting and they didn't deliver). The problem is that it didn't show up right away. Now, two months later, the back is coming off. It isn't my fault. I doubt the builder made a mistake that led to this. I believe it was the post office problem but they aren't going to pay for something that showed up two months later. I wouldn't even ask. I just want to know what to do to fix it. I am not asking the builder to pay for it. I don't really want to pay for it. But I don't know what else to do. I thought it might be fun to try to fix it but I don't know what to expect when the back comes off or how to get the glue off or what to do about the side where the tail piece is located. I am frustrated, but I need to get it fixed.

Denny

What kind of mandolin? Do you have a picture of the back?