Thread: Intricate Bruno Bowlback

Check out <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/High-Grade-Vintage-Mandolin-MOP-and-Silver-Inlays-Nice_W0QQitemZ320004641238QQihZ011QQcate

goryZ10179QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">this Bruno Mandolin</a> on eekBay. Is this beautiful or what?

It is definitely on the upper end of the Bruno line, prob a presentation model. I can't tell, tho, if it is just the photography or that the workmanship is not quite the equal of the equivalent upper end Martin bowlbacks or the italian mandolins I have seen.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I don't know if Martin ever went that far over the top on ornamentation. I photographed the entire Martin museum collection of bowlbacks and none were this garish. With that said, I love the over the top, and I doubt the quality is anywhere near the Martins. This is a painted lady. I've learned to appreciate them in my old age. Look at the flower pot. It does bear a striking resemblence to later flowerpots.

Nothing exceeds like excess!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by (DiegoMoon @ July 06 2006, 18:20)
    I don't know if Martin ever went that far over the top on ornamentation.
    Maybe not but I think my style 6 comes close. Pictures at the beginning of this thread.

Jim

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

The link doesn't work.

Sorry, try this one: Post a Picture of Your Bowlback.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Beautiful Martin. The difference is that yours was tastefully done as one would expect. You didn't post a picture of the back but I'm sure Martin didn't clutter up the top of the bowl with all that little intricate carving and they didn't do the fretboard in that over the top pearl.

Is it playable now?

Quote Originally Posted by (DiegoMoon @ July 07 2006, 10:19)
    Beautiful Martin. The difference is that yours was tastefully done as one would expect. You didn't post a picture of the back but I'm sure Martin didn't clutter up the top of the bowl with all that little intricate carving and they didn't do the fretboard in that over the top pearl.

Is it playable now?
    Here's photo of the bowl. Yes, Martin even did this ornate instrument with taste and craftsmanship.

It is being made playable as we speak. I would hope to have it in a few weeks.

Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0d_3.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	17096  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Damn, this thing went for a few dollars more than I thought it would. I haven't seen any Martin's go for that much (but then again I haven't seen that many Style 6 Martins for sale).

I would have thought that's silly money for a Bruno. Clearly, some people are still prepared to pay for over the top inlay rather than for intrinsic musical quality. There's hope for the Antonio Tsais of this world still...

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by (martinjonas @ July 16 2006, 17:38)
    There's hope for the Antonio Tsais of this world still...
    You guys have to start warning me when you use a line like that. It's getting harder to get the diet coke out of the keyboard .

mando-evangelist August Watters's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by
    I would have thought that's silly money for a Bruno. #Clearly, some people are still prepared to pay for over the top inlay rather than for intrinsic musical quality
    I haven't seen a cross-section of Bruno mandolins, but yesterday I bought a 20's-era Bruno that's both sweeter and louder than any Martin mandolin I've ever tried. And my turn-of-the-century Bruno parlor guitar is spectacular (although it's admittedly been rebuilt using Martin-style bracing).

August W
    www.augustwatters.com
    Exploring Classical Mandolin (Berklee Press, 2015)
    Progressive Melodies for Mandocello (KDP, 2019) (2nd ed. 2022)
    New Solos for Classical Mandolin (Hal Leonard Press, 2020)
    2021 guest artist, mandocello: Classical Mandolin Society of America

August:
    How about a photo of your new acquisition?

Bruno instruments were made by a few companies, so I would not be surprised if there is a variation from okay to actually good.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

mando-evangelist August Watters's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm going to be asking more questions of you guys about this one -- It's a wonderful instrument with the old princess-style shape. Angled top, like a taterbug, and tuners with gears built inside the headstock. Engraving on wood on back of headstock. One-piece back, looks like walnut.

I should be able to post photos in a day or two.

August W
    Exploring Classical Mandolin (Berklee Press, 2015)
    Progressive Melodies for Mandocello (KDP, 2019) (2nd ed. 2022)
    New Solos for Classical Mandolin (Hal Leonard Press, 2020)
    2021 guest artist, mandocello: Classical Mandolin Society of America

Quote Originally Posted by (August Watters @ July 26 2006, 21:43)
    ...Engraving on wood on back of headstock...
    Without seeing this I'm thinking Stromberg-Voisenet. Let's see if I'm right.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

[quote=August Watters,July 26 2006, 17:24]
    Quote Originally Posted by
    I haven't seen a cross-section of Bruno mandolins, but yesterday I bought a 20's-era Bruno that's both sweeter and louder than any Martin mandolin I've ever tried. And my turn-of-the-century Bruno parlor guitar is spectacular (although it's admittedly been rebuilt using Martin-style bracing).

August W
    www.augustwatters.com
    August,

Do you have some pictures of the Bruno to post? I'd love to see it. Were they still making bowlbacks in the '20s or is it a flat-back?

I agree that there was some competition back then (as now). I have a Favilla flat back from that era that sounds very good. Elegant construction from a less well known brand and model.

thanks,

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Bruno was a distributor. They didn't make anything, they farmed that work out.

Favilla guitars are the most ignored collectible instrument I know of. They are great and you can still communicate with the last member of the Favilla family that was involved with the business (or you could a few years ago). I've seen a few of their mandolins, never played one.

OK, the Bruno is over the top, but I think it has a certain period charm. Two grand is a lot to pay for something like that, but if it sounds good, why not? Lord knows it's in keeping with the excesses of the time. I think the bidder did pretty well. However, like any of its brethren, I'd be afraid to play it much - too much to fall off/crack/etc. And I've certainly had a bout or two of scallop fever, myself.

Headstock reminds me of some of the early Gibson F instruments, with the very fancy delicate inlay. Not bad for a first-time bidder. Next purchase would have to be sunglasses.

I doubt that the bidder had a clue as to how it sounds