Thread: Missing/stolen-1977 Gibson F5 S#240002

Per Scott's recommendation, posted this in the Classified-Stolen section as well: #

Recently I decided to sell a recently acquired mando, a 1977 Gibson F5 Master Model serial 240002. The Gibson folks blew my repair budget after their hands-on review, LOL.

I prefered to use Ebay for this one, really didn't want to go thru the test drive route, didn't have time for all that. Everything went fine for the auction.

The buyer sent me money, I shipped the mando using UPS 3-day, insured accordingly, and they LOST IT ! # The last known scan on it was in NewOrleans, 200 miles from here. #It was in a very noticeable (my mistake) Gibson mandolin cardboard box, inside its fullsize hardshell case.#I can't verify it is stolen, but New Orleans...yikes!

We're working on insurance, but I just absolutely hate to see a Gibson (or any other) mando fall out of circulation like that. Might be sitting in a pawn shop right now. Will be filing reports with various police departments shortly.
    Thanks a bunch.
    Mark Normand
    Lafayette, LA
    2001 Flatiron F5

Well, if you insured it properly, you'll end up getting more than what you sold it for(!). UPS broke an MK I sold, and I ended up with a few hundred more than I paid for it. Put enough pressure on them, and you'll get your money.
    --Prof PT

Don't hate me because I know how to spell and punctuate!

Saw your posting under Lost/Stolen and felt compelled to check the local shops for your Gibson. First, let me say that as far as I know, the local music shops wouldn't knowingly purchase any "hot" goods. Neither of the remaining instrument stores in New Orleans proper have your Gibson (nor any Gibson mandolin for that matter).
    There are a few stores in the metro area which I'll try to check this week. I believe that there's only one or two pawnshops left in the city - I'll give them a look as well.
    Your mandolin may well still be in the UPS wharehouse though. When we returned from our Katrina evacuation I shipped four packages from Nashville to New Orleans. It took five trips over six weeks to finally retrieve my stuff (some of it was damaged). Many of the New Orleans UPS employees have not returned home -- so the company's service was very bad for awhile. Good luck and I'll update you. Its been awhile since I've toured the local shops anyway so I'm having a bit of fun.

Regards,

Charlie Carr
    New Orleans

Well, C Carr is certainly a good samaritan. Welcome
    Darryl G. Wolfe, The F5 Journal
    www.f5journal.com

There are some good folks down there.

Paula

My thoughts are it will turn up. They actually lost an EXF condition 1929 Gibson F5 for me one time, and, after getting all the way up the chain to the Canadian CEO, it was found the next day... in Salt Lake City! ( this after about 2 weeks)
    I'll bet it's not stolen, just went to a lost and found hub, and from there they go to regional centres, where they await identification. This happens if the weigh bill comes off the box, for the most part.
    I also had an F4 lost a year or so ago, same drill, and all was well.
    Don't loose hope, and call them frequently. Ask for a supervisor, then his/her supervisor, etc. Keep going up the food chain. Be polite, business-like, and do not reduce it to a personal level. No swearing, etc. This is very important. They actually had this attribute of my conduct on the files they keep when you call. Made all the difference.
    My Dad always said you can catch more flies with honey than vinegar....

Gosh, what great info from you guys!

If you come to Lafayette, I'll buy you lunch.

You and Ken's notes regarding UPS sure are encouraging. I can't help but wonder the same thing.

What happens if UPS pays the insurance claim, then it turns up at my door? Or do they let that happen?

Mark

Thank you so much.
    Last edited by Scott Tichenor; Oct-14-2010 at 11:24am. Reason: Phone number removed by request
    2001 Flatiron F5

Mark,
    If the insurance pays out and the item turns up it is the property of the insurance company they will mostly allow you to buy it from them through
    Keith
    Mountains are holy places
    and beauty is free (runrig)

Hey Charlie Carr. My GrandDad of Mom's side was A Carr. I think they started out in West VA. and ended up in NOrthern KY/Southern IN...We could be cousins. Drop me a line
    grant_eversoll@yahoo.com
    Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

http://prancing-pony-agency.freeservers.com/

Default Re: Missing/stolen-1977 Gibson F5 S#240002

Mark,
    How was this issue resolved? Did UPS find the mandolin and deliver it or did they process the loss claim and pay you the declared value?

Pick on
    Lakedog mando

Default Re: Missing/stolen-1977 Gibson F5 S#240002

I realized just lately that I never had closure here. That mando was later successfully located by UPS, and had a happy ending.

For the benefit of the current owner, and any subsequent owners, I want to state all is well during the time I owned it.
    I'm not interested in rehashing or releasing the details, I've forgotten most of it anyway, and will ask Scott to close this thread down.
    Regards to the forum,
    MN
    2001 Flatiron F5