Thread: Having a "tearing" problem bending one particular

I am using some highly flamed (violin) maple sides for my first mandolin and am having a "tearing" problem bending one particular section where the curve is rather tight (my own design "scroll"). I do use a proper bending iron and am wetting the wood for about 20 minutes.

The wood is already quite thin, shall I make it even thinner in this area? Or am I lacking some technique?

I have looked through the search area but could not find something exactly relevant.
    music enthusiast

Adrian Minarovic

Are you using bending strap? Too much water may be not good too. Try spraying some water to the wood just before bending without soaking it.

What's the thickness of your rib and what is the radius to which you are bending?
    Adrian
    Adrian

I'm using violin sides of around 1.5mm. This particular radius must be about 15mm, it's an inside curve between the neck root and the ribs. I could send a Jpeg of the shape if necessary.

How important is the strap? I could not find my usual one so I used one which was a bit narrower than the stock.

BTW, what effect on the sound will these thin ribs have?
    music enthusiast

Adrian Minarovic

15mm radius is 30mm diameter... I believe it's possible to bend 1.5mm ribs to such a diameter. The strap is very important especially on tight bends. You should pull the strap against the iron quite hard to prevent breaks.
    Regarding the strength, just make sure you won't be sanding or scraping too much from the sides. 1.4mm final should be fine, less can be risky. The tail block takes a lot of stress when the ribs are weak, so make it with large enough gluing surface to plates. Something like 14x50mm.
    I'm not sure about impact on sound. There are so many other variables that can change sound... Most everyone will agree that ribs should be light but strong.
    Adrian

i would also say try spraying or brushing it with a just a little water. steam is the keyword here. also get or make a bending strap, it makes the job a lot easier.

The strap is hugely important when trying to bend highly figured stuff. I've never made an instrument without it.You can use a thick piece of leather if you want,just something that doesn't melt(obviously) that can support the back side of the curl from pulling out. On cellos(same rib thickness)that curve in the C bouts is very tight too and without a strap would be very hard to do. The thickness of the ribs won't be a bad thing for sound, just be carfull when you put on the binding. You may need to put thinner stuff on.i'm making one now with similar thicknesses and will put a thinner than normal side binding on.
    Good luck.
    Gary