Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Mandolins in the Movies

Default Re: Mandolins in the Movies

There is an 8-part Italian rom-com series on Netflix now -Generation 56K- which has a bowlback mandolin as part of a band playing music in the final episode. Very good series and over before you know it, unlike those USA series that go on for years. The setting is a small island village off the coast of Naples, so the music being played is Neapolitan.

2. The following members say thank you to James Vwaal for this post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I just got done watching "Almost Famous" for the first time in eons - well, decades - and there is a fair amount of mandolin in the incidental music, particularly throughout the last hour. For instance, in the scene at the airport where Penny Lane is leaving and her plane is taxiing past the terminal, and William is running along the series of plate glass windows keeping her in sight. I was looking for info in the credits, and there wasn't anything specific. But there is this: Original Songs Written By Cameron Crowe, Nancy Wilson, Ann Wilson; Original Songs Produced By Nancy Wilson. I'm willing to take a leap of faith and give her the credit.

Under "Additional Musicians" are Peter Frampton, Mike McCready, Jon Bayless, Ben Smith, Gordon Kennedy. I think they're all guitarists.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Blues Mando Social Group
    Gibson Mandolins Social Group
    North Florida Mandolin Players Social Group

My favorite bluegrass band

4. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Dave Berry

Ry Cooder plays mandolin on this wonderful version of Senaca Square Dance from the movie Long Riders.

https://youtu.be/XLuOVE5DRUQ
    dave berry

Resident Hack

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    I just got done watching "Almost Famous" for the first time in eons - well, decades - and there is a fair amount of mandolin in the incidental music, particularly throughout the last hour. For instance, in the scene at the airport where Penny Lane is leaving and her plane is taxiing past the terminal, and William is running along the series of plate glass windows keeping her in sight. I was looking for info in the credits, and there wasn't anything specific. But there is this: Original Songs Written By Cameron Crowe, Nancy Wilson, Ann Wilson; Original Songs Produced By Nancy Wilson. I'm willing to take a leap of faith and give her the credit.

Under "Additional Musicians" are Peter Frampton, Mike McCready, Jon Bayless, Ben Smith, Gordon Kennedy. I think they're all guitarists.
    I've posted video of Nancy Wilson playing mandolin. I'm also betting it's her
    What I play
    2021 Skip Kelley Two-Point
    Eastwood 'Ricky'
    Morgan Monroe RT-1E
    Epiphone Genesis guitars
    Various Basses