Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mandolins in the Movies

Blog Entries

Default Re: Mandolins in the Movies

Since this thread started back in 2004 the resource called This Day in History was created. I just did a search of all occurrences of Movie and movie and came up with some interesting ones. Some of these have already been mentioned, and the list here often references mandolin recordings used in the soundtrack vs. an actual sighting. Recalling that in the Alison Stephens interview she mentioned quite a few soundtracks she has played on that are not listed here.

April 16, 1975 - Movie "Capone" released, featuring music by David Grisman.
    May 8, 1937 - Dave Apollon starred in the movie "Movie-Mania" as himself.
    July 13, 1979 - Movie "King Of The Gypsies" released that included David Grisman penned soundtrack and cameo.
    September 19, 1974 - Movie "Big Bad Mama" released that includes music by David Grisman.
    December 19, 1979 - Movie "Kramer vs. Kramer" released, the sountrack including Vivaldi's Concerto in C Major for Mandolin & Strings 1. Allegro.
    December 22, 2000 - Movie "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" released.
    December 25, 2000 - Movie "All The Pretty Horses" released, containing Bill Monroe's recording of My Last Days on Earth."
    January 1, 1935 - Dave Apollon and his Romantic Serenaders appeared as themselves in the movie "In Town Tonight."
    January 13, 1972 - Second movement of Vivaldi's Mandolin Concerto in C major used in the movie "The Cowboys," released on this date.
    March 24, 1972 - "The Godfather" movie released with a now famous mandolin track entitled "Speak Softly Love."
    May 8, 1937 - Dave Apollon starred in the movie "Movie-Mania" as himself.
    June 29, 1999 - David Grisman appeared as himself in history of jugband movie "Chasin' Gus' Ghost."
    August 17, 2001 - The movie "Corelli's Mandolin" is released starring Nicholas Cage and Penelope Cruz.
    August 19, 1914 - The movie "The Fable of the Two Mandolin Players and the Willing Performer" released.
    September 11, 2001 - Director Gillian Grisman released the movie "Grateful Dawg" about David Grisman and Jerry Garcia.
    November 14, 1937 - Dave Apollon appeared as bandleader in the movie "Merry Go Round of 1938."

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Notably Alison Stephens played on the soundtrack of last year's "Fantastic Mr. Fox," even topped the list of musicians in the credits (even though banjo was featured more prominently).
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Blog Entries

Has anyone seen "The Extra Man," starring Kevin Kline? There is a lot of mandolin on the soundtrack, played by Mark Anthony Yaeger. Haven't heard of him before. Some Italian tunes, some Russian, I think. Not a reason to rush out and see the movie - that would be Kline's performance - but a nice plus.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Well, it's not a movie, but it's really remarkable: Mad Men.

In Season 1, episode 6 — the title of the episode is "Babylon."

The final scene takes place at a hip anti-establishment counter-culture cafe, and two men (cool sixties guys) come out and perform "By the Waters of Babylon." The mandolin especially is beautiful and haunting.
    ___

Breedlove 00
    Collings MT20
    Collings D1
    Huss and Dalton CM-12
    Kamaka HF-3 Tenor

"Light dwells within Light."
    —St. Thomas

Blog Entries

No kidding! I just happen to have Season 1 on DVD (yard sale find. Got to dig that out. I know that song from "The Harder They Come" (one of my favorite soundtrack albums), which of course is from much later, early 1970s. Didn't know it was that much older.

How about this short? Mandolin-dominant (and driven) soundtrack.
    http://www.lavinias-heist.com/shorthigh.html

I can top that guys.

In the Missouri Breaks movie there is a scene where Marlon Brando and Jack Nicholson are sitting next to a campfire, with a bowlback mandolin (possibly an 1890s Washburn with alternating maple/rosewood ribs) lying near them. I even recall that Brando played it a little, but that may be wishful thinking). There is mandolin playing on the soundtrack, so it might be actually true.

Acouple of near related subjects, in the movie "Men of Honor", Deniro, cuba Jr., there is a scene where Deniro is driving an older car, (huge steering wheel), and in the background Jimmy Martin is on the radio, also in his office on ship ,he is talking to someone, and Monroe's Blue yodel is in the background. We have just lost a real gentleman of thoses who knew him. Davy crockett's great grand son just past away. I was told he needed intense therapy to stay alive, and his response was that it would take away his last year of bluegrassing. I also made it a point to introduce my 17 year old step-daughter to him. She was polite, but she didn't recognize the name. oh, his name was Davy Crockett. RIP my friend, it was an honor

Blog Entries

Wonder why there are two threads by this title? Wonder if there are more? Wonder if it's possible to combine them? Wonder whether it is necessary to post to both of them? Wonder why I can't find the thread where I mentioned that there is mandolin right at the start of "The Hangover?"

There's a ball scene in the movie "The Tourist" (2010) where a chamber classical orchestra (including mandolin) plays some nice piece of music. One can clearly hear the sound of a mandolin and also see a bowlback for a second or two.

Plamen

Just finished watching "Return to Oz," a Disney movie that didn't make many waves when it was in the theaters. There's a scene where Dorothy, Belina and Tick Tock first walk into Momby's castle where she's sitting in the center of a mirrored room playing a bowlback, although the sound track makes it sound more like she's plinking on an electrified harpsichord. Very interesting.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Blog Entries

This is a TV usage, but since the Mandolins On TV thread is devoted to live performance, I thought it better to post here. Last week's episode of "Harry's Law," the new quasi-legal offering from David E. Kelley ("Ally McBeal," "The Practice"), ended with a guitar-mandolin duet in the soundtrack. Nothing I could recognize, but it's really nice. The credit for music goes to something called "Transcenders", but I think that refers to the standard fare incidental music. Anyway, if you have On Demand or some such, it's the second episode, about the elderly armed robber. Also available at imdb.com

Also not a movie, Paul McCartney's Dance Tonight video features an A style with all sorts of cables and other doodads pasted onto it. It didn't take me long to figure out the chords for it and that he detunes a step down to play F at a G fingering.
    "Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

'There is a brief Mandolin Sighting in the Movie "Titanic" it's during the Celtic dancing and drinking scene,it's a bowlback! (A noteworthy sighting) '

The band that played in that movie is called Gaelic Storm. They played the late set at Telluride Bluegrass Festival back in 08 (Maybe it was 09)

Good times, they throw down live as well!

I came in late on a tv episode of Memphis Beat recently and there had been a murder committed by some one weilding a 37 Gibson F-5 no less. The mandolin was smashed and the guy in the story who owned the instrument did not seem nearly as distraught as would I have been. I fell asleep and when I woke the news was on. Darn! G.B.
    What could have happened--did!
    2002 F-5L Gibson
    Eastman 915
    23 Gibson Snake Head
    62 Gibson J-50
    No name A-oval hole

They do show up in Bollywood movies all the time. This is probably the most famous of the last 20 years.

--------------------------------------------------------
    Andy

"Not to know the mandolin is to argue oneself unknown...." --Clara Lanza, 1886

Blog Entries

Yet another reason to love Bollywood movies!
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Blog Entries

Hmmm ... Can't see the headstock - is that an authentic Givson?

G.B. - That got a little notice when the episode first ran last summer. No longer on On Demand, BTW.

Hello. I'm new here. I caught up this thread from Google because I was searching a mandolin theme from a Greek comedy drama. This show contains many themes from foreign movies and some other from respectful artists. I hope you like the sound. I really don't know who is the composer of this one. Any that knows is welcome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx2itviXwT0 here is the sample.

Don't forget "A Mighty Wind." Parker Posey plays a mean Paddlehead A5.
    I think Christopher Guest also plays his Collings A within this Hilarious flick....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoCu5...eature=related
    (Potatoes in the Paddy Wagon).

Blog Entries

Welcome to the Cafι, music_lover. Thank you for offering the entry for the Mystery Of The Day. I am drawing a blank on that, but it does sound like the language being spoken is Russian. Do you know the name of the movie?

And don't be a troublemaker, Treblemaker! Someone did indeed mention "A Mighty Wind" (how could they not?) though it was waaay back in post #3 ... seven years ago ... Personally, I think it's a rather nice paddlehead she's pounding on "Potatoes In The Paddy Wagon," even though she's using a capo.
    Last edited by journeybear; Jul-06-2011 at 10:41am.

Thank you very much. The language is Greek. The music in this show takes soundtracks from foreign movies and famous themes from Ennio Morricone, Henry Mancini, Luis Bacalov and more so it is not made from the production of the show. This theme played on the last season many times and I'm stuck to its sound because I love mandolin. I hope someone knows it

Don't forget Jack White playing a bowlback in Cold Mountain, though I do believe that's a little early for the mandolin to be appearing in folk music....
    "When I heard what Socrates had done on the lyre, I wished indeed even [I had done] that...but certainly I labored hard in letters!" - Cicero, "Cato the Elder on Old Age"
    Weber Gallatin Mahogany F
    19th Century Ferrari(?) Bowlback
    Early 20th Century British Mandoline-Banjo & Deering Goodtime Tenor
    1960s Harmony Baritone Ukelele
    The Magic Fluke Flea Soprano Ukelele (in 5ths!)
    1910 German Stradivarius 1717 copy, unknown maker
    1890(?) German Stradivarius 1725 copy, G.A. Pfreztschner, maker

One of my favorite movies with lots of classical mandolin is "A Little Romance" with Laurence Olivier. There is some Vivaldi mandolin music and some original music I believe done in Vivaldi style.
    Daniel Kaufman

Quote Originally Posted by rixter View Post
    My favorite mandolin sighting is the classic Humphrey Bogart movie "To Have And Have Not". Makes me wish they'd made records of movie soundtracks back in those days, the swing that pops up in various scenes is pretty tantalizing.
    Well, that's Hoagy Carmichael's band, and there are certainly recordings of Hoagy Carmichael to be had.

A friend of mine from D.C. who's an actress/playwright was in Seattle last October to help put together a local production of a musical revue that she conceived. For some reason, no less a personage than Hoagy Carmichael Jr. also came out to see her show. She invited him along to attend one of the concerts at the CMSA convention, which was the same weekend, but he declined. Apparently, mandolins aren't his thing, even though his dad's band contained one.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls