Thread: Instructional Book recs?

Exclamation

Hi everyone,

I've finally finished a rather hectic spring semester and hope to dust off the shiny new mandolin I've not had time to spend hours with and really make progress learning the instrument.

With that said, I am looking to invest in worthwhile instructional books, methods, scale books, chord books, etc. I am a "beginner" in that I've only been playing mandolin for a few months, but I am a violinist and so I do not need any introduction to notation and probably don't need much of the really beginner-beginner stuff since I know the positions of all the notes.

Any recommendations and possible places of purchase on the internet for said books would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Leah

Leah,

I have gone through quite a bit of instructional material and I would have to say I have found a few books, dvds,ext. more helpful. First off, I would pick up a book of pure scales and excercises. Mel Bay offers a decent book called " Mandolin Scales and Studies" that has an many scales and excercises in all keys. Also if you are a begginer, and you have not had any formal technique instruction, I would highly suggest bringing some focus to that. Any great mandolin player will tell you that the road to success starts with good habits, and technique is very important! Chris Thile offers an instructional dvd on technique offered by Homespun Tapes. You can purchase it from their website. I forgot what the exact website address is, but you can type some key words in Google and find it. The tunes he offers in the dvd our somewhat advanced, although his discussion on proper right and left hand technique, pick strokes, and other things I believe is very valuable. Lastly, you can find an enourmous amount of litureture on the internet. Look on this websit under lessons and there is some good advice. I know also that Mandozine.com has an elaborate archive of fiddle tunes in Tabledit form. A free demo version of Tabledit can be downloaded for free and their is no time limit on it. There are plenty of begginer to advanced fiddle tunes offered on the site that are accompanied with a midi file. Try learning some tunes and playing along with the midi files. Very lastly, it is summer time and that means festival time. Check for local festivals and go watch good mandolin players and watch what they do and don't do. Also many festivals offer beginner workshops.

Happy pickin