Thread: ebay F4

Just found this looks nice

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Beautiful-Vintage-1915-Gibson-F4-Mandolin-with-case_W0QQitemZ7416432498QQcategoryZ10179QQr
    dZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Beautif....iewItem</a>
    Mountains are holy places
    and beauty is free (runrig)

House of Musical Traditions is a long standing and very nice store in the DC area. That looks like a nice F4 as well.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

The support under the pickguard looks like tortoise/plastic. Is that original on an F4?

My 1917 F-4 has the same type of plastic TS pickguard support as this one, although it has a larger pickguard and less of the support shows.
    Bob DeVellis

someone bought it on buy it now.....any one here I wonder ?
    Keith

I think that is the cleanest vintage Gibson F4 that I have seen. Very nice.

Probably a very good buy!
    Linksmaker

I was the buy it now winner of the auction. #It's about the nicest F4 that I have ever seen and I've been looking for one for a while. #I know that the price is on the high end but I still felt it was fair. #My heart was a flutter and excitement filled me. #That is the good part of the story.

I sent emails to the seller to arrange for payment and shipping. #When he called me on Monday he informed me that he had someone who visited the store and had agreed to buy it and that someone in the store had forgotten to end the auction early. #I was incredulous and told him that the auction was a contract and so on and he said he was sorry and just learning about EBAY. #UGGGH.

I've written to EBAY asking what if anything can be done, enforced, etc. on Monday and have not heard back. #I have exchanged emails with the seller where he apologized and offered me a cost price on a new Breedlove or Eastman as compensation. #I told him that as far as I am concerned we have a contract and that he is breaking it and I am not interested in any other mandolin he is offering. #And yes I am upset and disappointed in his behaviour.

He further states that he sold it for the "in store" price of $5,400. and that if the buyer returns it he will sell it to me. #I asked him if he felt that he had an obligation to his consignee to get the best price but I got no response. #Who knows what the real story is!

Oh well I suppose following through with further anger will only cause the kind of karma that could make the instrument unplayable if I ended up with it anyhow. #

Thanks for allowing me to vent to you all.
    Dan

I would continue your contact with eBay. The buyer is always favored. Chances are that you won't get the item, but the seller will be reminded of his obligations. Contact me if you have questions.

Dan, that is too bad, I too would continue to chase ebay, they are quick enough to jump on buyers when something goes wrong. Good luck and keep us posted
    Keith