Thread: Fret slots

I'm putting in my frets and some of them wont go in . I'm getting some pretty unsightly scars on the fingerboard surface from the tangs ripping out wood when the frets flip over. The tang part fits in the slots but the barbs are too big. Should I widen the slots a little? How and how much? I don't have that tool that "mashes" down the barbs. Thanks.

If you are stuck with working with what you have, you might take a file and hold it at a 45 degree angle and pass it along the slots, creating a small chamfer. Not too deep. That should get you started straight.

Ron
    My wife says I don't pay enough attention to what she says....
    (Or something like that...)

Kinda like so....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    My wife says I don't pay enough attention to what she says....
    (Or something like that...)

Here's a page with some detail on how to handle fretting problems. In particular look at the second and eighteenth items:

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPa....le.html

I just went through the same thing and had to widen the slots a bit (coping saw)and also make the small chamfer with a small file--as shown in Frank Ford's guidance referenced above. My main problem with putting them in in the narrow slots was that it caused the board to back bow and a bit and I was concerned about getting a good attachment to the neck (not sure if this would have been an actual problem or not).

Andy

Some people put the frets on prior to glueing the fingerboard on and some people prefer to glue the fingerboard on and then put the frets in. The latter has a tendency to bow the neck back and in a way pre stress the neck with a slight back arch to compensate for string tension. #

Don
    http://www.donkawalek.com
    "The only thing achieved in life without effort is failure."
    Dum Vixi Tacui Mortua Dulce Cano

I chamfered the slots with a triangle file and did my best to bevel the fret tangs. This worked for most of the frets I had been having trouble with, but a few just won't go in. They just sit there in the slots and I keep hitting them but they don't go in. I went all out this time to get nice ebony and make my slots extra precise but it's turned into the most frustrating fretjob yet.

Andy--

Could you elaborate a little on how to widen the slots with the coping saw? Thanks.

Go visit your dentist, and ask for a handful of used dental bits. In a few days or a week, he'll hand you a handful of used bits, freshly sterilised, and at least a few of them will be perfect for widening the slots. Most have a very, very slight angle to them, and they just make the sweetest slots. they are self-guiding within the slots, too. Easy as pie...

A little hide glue in the slots also helps a lot, as it acts as a lubricant while also softening the wood fibers, and in the end, will help keep the frets in place.

Don't give up! We've all been there....

I have also used this technique at my workshops with firstime builders. If the fretboard is not radiused, it is possible to squeeze then in using a vice.

Don
    http://www.donkawalek.com
    "The only thing achieved in life without effort is failure."
    Dum Vixi Tacui Mortua Dulce Cano

You probably know this already, but it's real helpful to have very solid support under the point where you are trying to drive the fret in. (Ever tried to drive a nail into an unsuppported 2/4?) Makes it a lot easier with stubborn frets.

Hi

I bought some Stewmac medium/high fretwire instead of the usual medium/medium and found it was very hard to get the fret to start. If you can find a little 6" hacksaw called a Junior Saw in many countries you'll find the standard blade is 25 thou, which suits a lot of fretwire. Stewmac's is 23 thou at the tang, and I use the Stewmac fretting saw and box, but this new stuff was a pain to start. A light stroke through the slot with the Junior saw helped a lot. I use a home-made fretting caul in my drill press to keep everything nice and straight, but it was still a chore. If you can at least get the tang to make a start in the slot it helps a lot. I've only got about 12 feet of the medium/high left to use up and then I'll be going back to the medium/medium.
    Rob - Jupiter Creek Music - Australia

I borrowed a dental thingy from a buddy who does dollhouses. It did the trick and quick. Thanks for the tip.