Thread: boat back mandolin?

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

I bought an ebay mandolin the other day, a deep-dish flatback, a type which I have seen referenced here I believe as -tug boat- or -shovel bowl- or something that I could not recall for a proper search here or on google.

I'm enclosing some photes for any help identifying this model and any background information anyone might have.

<Links removed by Moderator. No longer going to the images in question. Now going to questionable images>

It is decent enough shape, a few top cracks to fix and a little delamination in the back, but the v-shaped neck, which is built like a little Louisville Slugger (maple not ash) seems fine.

The pickguard, (probably some cellulose type material?) is cracked and curling up a bit. Any idea of this can be gently softened and persuaded to lay back down?

thanks,

Mick
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Dec-02-2023 at 8:47pm. Reason: It's a family forum
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Mick:
    I termed them "boatbacks" when I got this one (attached). I figure mine is a product of some Chicago firm, possibly Lyon & Healy.

The only other configuration I have seen like this was mandolins made by Luigi Mozzani. Possiblt this was a simpler way to produce a mandolin with a bowlback sound capacity.

Jim

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boatback.jpg 
Views:	633 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	15606  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Here is the back of a 1945 Mozzani boatback.

Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	85_3.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	15607  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

BTW, Mick, I would think it would not be worth it to fix that crumbling pickguard. I would, just replace it with a repro.

Others can chime in here.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Thanks, Jim. I figured you might be in the know on this. Does all that depth provide a good bottom end? How does yours sound? Any idea of the era these were produced? The closed tuners suggests a perhaps earlier date. Any idea when those finally gave way completely to the open tuners?

Typical of me, a million questions. I exchanged a couple of emails with Hubert who seems encyclopedic in his L+H knowledge. He said he was planning an upcoming book on the subject, which I look forward to.

The boatbacks seem vaguely reminiscent of the Weymann mandolutes, but appear to have a deeper body. Your boatback certainly looks like a good example. Beautiful wood, it appears. I thought to give saving the pickguard at least a try. With the heavy dark stain on the back, the maple neck, and the very pumpkin top, the yellow-orange pickguard makes a great color statement. I found a source for some celluoid pickguard material, but it is the purple-red type. The yellow orange just looks great.

These mark an interesting transitional phase in mandolin design. I am happy to have been able to turn one up.

Mick

BTW. I got the neck back on and reset on the unlabled L+H from a few weeks back. It is set up and playing nicely. I'll post a picture soon (and then duck.) Cosmetically, I have a ways to go with my skills but I am moving ahead. If the mandolin "SS Minnow" winds up sounding as nice, I'll be very happy.
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Quote Originally Posted by (brunello97 @ May 01 2006, 17:40)
    These mark an interesting transitional phase in mandolin design. I am happy to have been able to turn one up.
    I don't think of these as a transtion, but more of an offshoot -- a way to avoid the tedious handwork in making a bowlback of multiple strips without the strips. The Mozzani I showed you above was from 1945. Mine is prob from the teens or twenties. Flat backs went at least as far back in time as those.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately: