Thread: right hand

was just wondering where the correct position for the right hand wrist is, mine rests on the sound board above the strings behind the bridge but a lot of people seem to rest their wrist on the strings behind the bridge, when i try this i can barely move my hand ?

mind you my pic grip is probably all wrong as well.

Some people touch the bridge or strings behind the bridge, some don't. Some people brush fingers on the top, some don't. No right or wrong way there, just minimize pressure anywhere on the top.

Lawrence, if you are actually holding the mandolin up against your chest using your wrist on the sound board to press, then you do have a problem. Just touching wouldn't be as bad, though it seems like touching your wrist on the sound board would restrict your movement as well. #I have to say it sounds tiring and maybe a bit painful. #As AlanN says there really isn't any 'correct' position. But I think, in your case, you'd get more movement if you'd get your wrist completely off everything. Try only touching the mandolin where the top meets the side with your forearm.

I sometimes plant a finger. Sometimes not. But either way, my wrist is well above everything.

A lot of your picking motion comes from your wrist and elbow, so if you're planting your wrist you're restricting your picking motion considerably, not to mention damping the sound (tone & volume).

If you want to see optimal wrist placement/motion take a look at Tim O'Brien. Free floating wrist, arms, hands, fingers, shoulders, head... You get the picture.

Best,
    Ken
    Less talk, more pick.

I forgot to add...

If you're planting your picking wrist it is likely to be bent. The more you do anything with bent wrist (right or left hand) the more exposed you are to repetitive stress type injuries. Keeping your wrists straight as possible (straight line from knuckles to elbow) is a good idea.

Best,
    Ken
    Less talk, more pick.

looks like its back to the drawing board for me then # .

i rest my wrist and the first pads( if that the right word) of my hand lighly above the strings behind the bridge, i only play while sitting down, so i am not holding the instrument with any force, its very comfortable for me and it is straight from elbow to knuckles. i can understand this may be effecting tone and volume and might explain why i've never really been happy with the sound of my mandolin. i have watched dan b on his shatter the calm site and just find it impossible to hold the pick and right arm the way he does.
    any advice would be gratefully recieved.

ps what is the correct distance from the bridge to strike the strings, i think i've been playing to close to the bridge.

For mellow tone, about 3". For more brittle, closer.

Lawrence Molloy wrote: "ps what is the correct distance from the bridge to strike the strings, i think i've been playing to close to the bridge"

I was thinking of this when I read your discription of where you rested your hand. As you play, you will probably learn to change where and how you hit the strings to get different tones. Personally, I like playing over the 'florida' at about the 16th fret but depending on the situation I might play all the way back to within a couple of inches from the bridge. I also let my fingers lightly brush against the soundboard most of the time.

What 250sc said. I'll play from the 15th fret to within an inch of the bridge, depending on what tone I'm after. I don't rest my wrist or any part of my hand on the top, pick guard, bridge or strings.

HTH,
    Ken
    Less talk, more pick.

There is no wrong distance from the bridge to play. You can get interesting sounds playing at the 12th fret! Depending on the mandolin there may be some spots between the bridge and the fret board that may not sound so well due to harmonics. But, you can change the sound of your mando significantly by experimenting with different picking spots.