Thread: chime help

I have been looking and looking for what I thought was an overtone, but it only happened when I played in A. It ended up being that when I let up off of my strings after I do a chop that my G string is chiming over the 9th fret.

What can I do to make it stop? Is it a setup problem?

This thing has been bugging me for 5 or 6 months so any help is greatly appreciated.
    Saving my 2 cents for a dollar.

If I understand you right, after you play an A chop, the G string chimes over the 9th fret as you let up on the strings. I can only make this happen if I relax my left hand and lift my pinky too high so that it lightly touches the G string. If I do my regular chop, it never happens. I looked at what I was doing and all I notice is that when I let up on the chop, my fingers are still on the strings - not enough to fret them, but enough to dampen them. I can't get a harmonic to happen if I leave my fingers on the strings. I'd say maybe you are lifting your fingers too high after your chop.
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me