Thread: NEW AND OLD

although been involved in music for years have , at the age of 66 just bought a mandolin to learn,,,,,then I saw the 'four finger closed position' and decided this was the way forward for me......very disciplined re the pinky....but I have concentrated on learning the scales for G and D...to start off ( Iknow these can be applied to other scales by shifting positions)...play a lot of IT and English folk dance stuff...so D and G good starting point...I have now learnt the key of G in three different positions....using open strings....and two entirely closed positions....the system seems to work for me...even though I have concentrated all my learning into one or two major keys....just thought I would share that....might help some other new learner like myself......with a good knoledge of the key of G I have been able to play some tunes reasonable well....can find for myself where it is possible to use two sets of strings in harmony....by drawing out my own fret board chart and maching them up...and have a number of positions where I can double stop....all in four weeks....lets face it I dont have the time some of you yougsters have so have had to mix and match....fingers are sore though...one of the best lessons I have learned is not to hold the mandolin up with my left hand ...restricts left hand movement...cheers Les.

Good job, Les. And welcome to the fold! Sounds like you're off to a roaring start. Your story is a perfect testament to how having some music theory knowledge can accelerate the learning curve. It took me a long time to learn/admit that. I played guitar as a kid, never took lessons, and learned how to play pretty well. But, I could have progressed SO much faster had I learned the language before I started trying to speak. I'm teaching my daughter the language now, even though she (like I did) would rather just speak. Thanks for sharing that.

Les,

I think the four finger closed position is quite a revelation. #I began playing in January, and as a former pianist, spent a fair amount of my piano practice time doing scales and arpeggios, so was not averse to doing the same on the mandolin. #Once I saw and tried the FFcP, the mental lightbulbs began going off. #It's far more than a simple exercise with scales and arpeggios or interval training - it really unlocks the mandolin for me.

Dotty
    Dotty

Learning to play with closed finger can help alot if you have to transpose later, because if you're used to using open strings you'll be SOL. I play scales with just three fingers and no open strings: I shift on half steps and use third finger to play fret seven. If you have a weak pinky like I do, playing that way is a tremendous aid to your speed and versatility.

Nice work, Les!

I have received similar benefits from FFcP- I think you're right, it's one of the best 'training accelerators' out there.
    Enjoy you're new instrument- Have Fun!
    Follow your bliss- it knows where it's going.