Thread: neil young

Anyone seen this? Can't say there's any mando on it. Just good all around musicianship. Some of Neil's tunes have a lot of area for a mando but can't say I remember his using one. Ben Keith plays some real tasty dobro/steel in the flick.. I remember seeing Buffalo Springfield in Hawaii when I was a Kid. Turned out they had just broke up and Dewey Martin (the drummer) had a bunch of guys dressed up to look like them. The guy who was supposed to be Neil had a long fringe jacket on with long sideburns. My first rock and roll rip off. They nade some great music back in the day.
    mikeguy

"My first rock and roll rip off." - Mike

Omygosh! This happened to me too with Fleetwood Mac (73 or 74). I won tickets from a radio station to see Spirit and Fleetwood Mac. Spirit was the real thing but then came on the imposters doing "Rattlesnake Shake" and it didn't sound right. I guess they made their best effort to cover the songs but not good enough. I didn't think anyone looked familiar in the group and we split. I didn't realize that night but later read where the manager believed he had the rights to the name of the group and put this bogus group together to tour. The tour was shortlived as people started pelting the group at shows. I think the audience was too stoned (not me!)to know the difference at the one I was at.

I would like to see the Neil Young movie. I like the latest CD.

Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Great to see a Neil Young thread on the board. Havenīt seen the movie yet, but his latest CD is definitely a welcomed step in the right direction. Required mandolin content: "Too far gone" from the Freedom album features a simple but effective mandolin riff.
    Who am I and if yes, how many?

Quote Originally Posted by (jaco @ Mar. 22 2006, 22:13)
    Anyone seen this? Can't say there's any mando on it. Just good all around musicianship. Some of Neil's tunes have a lot of area for a mando but can't say I remember his using one. Ben Keith plays some real tasty dobro/steel in the flick.. I remember seeing Buffalo Springfield in Hawaii when I was a Kid. Turned out they had just broke up and Dewey Martin (the drummer) had a bunch of guys dressed up to look like them. The guy who was supposed to be Neil had a long fringe jacket on with long sideburns. My first rock and roll rip off. They nade some great music back in the day.
    BS was a great band, Richie Furay was a force and his "Kind Woman" still gives me chills. Stills picked the banja pretty good. And I always thought one tune (can't remember the name) was Salt Creek in drag

"And I always thought one tune (can't remember the name) was Salt Creek in drag"

The song is "Go and Say Goodbye" and it does use the Salt Creek riff. I have the CD "Buffalo Springfield" with 24 cuts featuring first the mono recording and then the stereo. This one includes "For What It's Worth". I think my original LP was mono.
    Jim
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

How's Neil doing these days? I heard he wasn't in good health. I'd love to hear otherwise.

Neil Young is one of my favorite artists. I have such a great memory of seeing Neil Young and Crazy Horse perform several times back in the 1980s. And the CSNY stuff is great.

Any news of Neil?

He had a brain aneurysm last year, but as far as I know he fully recovered. He has performed since it happened (annual Bridge School benefit happened in October, he had some TV appearances in Nov and Dec) and there is supposedly going to be a CSNY tour this summer.

For a cool 1967 vid of BS, paste this in a browswer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....t=t&f=b

THAT WAS COOL LOOKS LIKE MY OLD SILVERTONE STILLS WAS PLAYING
    2013 Northfield Big Mon #223
    2004 Gibson A9
    1981 #1132 Flatiron 1N
    2013 Gibson F9

Dreaming of a Pomeroy F5 Blonde w Engelmann ?

I think it might have been lip synched.

I had a dream last night that Neil Young & Sam Bush were playing together...no, really...for real. It was suh-wheat. Wish you guys coulda heard it.