Thread: Grateful Dead

Thumbs up

Right now 2030 hrs EST. Lp
    J.Lane Pryce

I got all excited when I saw the thread topic, put it on PBS and..... It's not on here in Illinois. Maybe at 2030 CST time it will come on! I'm guessing it's a concert at the Fillmore?
    "We are the music-makers,we are the dreamers of dreams"

PBS schedules vary for every station, so it's always "check your local listings."

It's the Grateful Dead Movie, WInterland 1974.

How many times are public tv stations going to recycle these old shows? My closest PBS station (in NH) has shown the GD program at least 6 or 7 times, the B&W 'Roy Orbison in London' show at least a dozen. If they couldn't fall back on these old chestnuts (which they can air at no cost) maybe they'd get off their butts and produce some new music programming.

On second thought, probably not. When a PTV station has a budget crisis they lay off production people (producers/camerapeople/editors), not management and office staff. That's not a strategy which leads to interesting local programs, but it keeps middle management employed.

My locals plays Manilow more than either of those; This one time... on PBS... I caught Ralph Stanley purely by accident

KQED, the local PBS affiliate in San Francisco, repeats the Grateful Dead movie often - especially when fundraising time is on. I guess that's the demographic of the Bay Area! I love the Grateful Dead Movie. I remember seeing the Dead (for the first few times of many) back in 1984 and in the same year was delighted to see this movie for the first time. It is an interesting snapshot the final shows of 1974. It gives a feeling of the scene in San Francisco then.

For those who may be interested (and if you're reading this, you probably are), there's a strong rumor circulating that they will be re-releasing Reckoning (the dead "unplugged" from the early 80s) with 16 previously unreleased tracks.

Definitely picking THAT up.
    __
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity
    -- Hanlon's Razor

Prescott, AZ

Thanks for the info on Reckoning...it is one of my favorite discs; I'd love to have an expanded version. I'll keep on the lookout for it.
    Gary Blanchard
    Original Acoustic and Electric Music
    http://www.irismusica.net

Rhino helped compile the 2 box sets that came out not long ago... the 2nd box "Beyond Description" has their albums from '73 -'89. The "Reckoning" disc in this box has 2 discs; the first one is the released version, the second one is all out-takes and alternate versions. I guess it's only available as part of the box now, but perhaps that's what's soon-to-be released. The box came out in 2004. I got it as a gift and can verify that the 2nd Reckoning disc is mighty, mighty fine.

Chris

Ditto on Reckoning....that's one "new" Dead CD I will buy. I don't listen to the Dead much anymore but used to all the time. I've got hundreds of shows under my belt mostly from the early eighties right after the Reckoning period. I can now say in retrospect that that album and specifically those acoustic sets were among the last great moments of the Dead.

Just my opinion of course

Thanks for the info.

The Dead at the Playboy Mansion video is also available on that online TV site everybody's been linking to lately. Sorry the site name escapes me. TV tube or something?

Jerry and Co. do an awesome "Mountains of the Moon". I bet that tune would lay out nice on the mando.

On Google video there is a partial version (low quality though):

http://video.google.com/videopl....ful%252

Interesting interview of Garcia by Hugh Hefner.

The other version that is out there is a full length version with broadcast quality video.

Quote Originally Posted by (TeleMark @ Mar. 25 2006, 09:50)
    For those who may be interested (and if you're reading this, you probably are), there's a strong rumor circulating that they will be re-releasing Reckoning (the dead "unplugged" from the early 80s) with 16 previously unreleased tracks.
    No rumour, due out April 11th:
    Reckoning remaster

And it does indeed have the same track list as the version that was released in 2004 as part of the 'Beyond Description' box set that Undercover Brother referred to.