Thread: Dremel tool question(s)

Currently awaiting my first mandolin kit- no woodworking skills or tools to speak of ... I know that there is a difference of opinion regarding the use of the Dremel tool for binding, etc, however given my limited ambitions, I think that this would be better option for me than a laminate router.

There are a multiplicity of different Dremel "packages" & tools out there- what will I need for cutting binding channels & inlay?

I's sure that I'll have LOTS of questions later...

Go to Stewmac.com and look under Inlay materials and Binding materials.
    You will need a Dremel. A dremel binding channel guide.
    A router bit for binding channel. And for inlay you will need small dremel bits. I ordred some at a dental supply house (very small) to do the inlay outline. Then use a bigger bit to "hog out" the center. You will need a jewlers saw to cut your inlay material. For the binding channel around the scroll you have to do it by hand, you will need razor knife,micro chisels whatever works for you. I used exaxto knife, and micro chisels and used a dremelbit with small bit to get into the hard to get places. Mostly used razor and chisels. JD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Project0.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	1834  
    Shalom,Yonkle (JD)

I find the variable speed dremel to be better than the one speed.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by (chris @ April 04 2004, 13:19)
    I find the variable speed dremel to be better than the one speed.
    Definitely. i agree. Some materials burn at high speed so you want to be able to adjust the speed.
    Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone

Some with more experience than me have recommended the black and decker RTX saying that it has better and truer bearings. For inlay a perfectly spinning cutter is a must and personally I have used both and agree that the Black and Decker is the better tool for that job. The only downside is that it only has three speeds unlike the infinitely variable dremel.
    Take life by the horns

My B&D RTX is 6 speed. Bought it about 1 to 1 1/2 years ago. Don't know if this is still the current model being sold or not.
    Bill Snyder

I had a Dremel a long time ago that was a good tool. The bearings went out, and were not replacable. I haven't liked the newer Dremels that I've used because the bearings are not any good. They are too far from the end of the shaft and therefor have too much runout.

I don't even own a working small Dremel any more, the one I have looks like...this...(the kit at the bottom of the page). I had threads cut in one of the hand pieces to fit in the Stewmac router base. I showed this rig to Dan Earlewine of Stewmac, he took some pictures, and sure enough, Stewmac came out with a Foredom tool that works the same way.

The handpieces have a standard attachment to the flex shaft, so you can use hand pieces from various manufacturers. I have two Dremel handpieces and one Foredom. The quality is very similar, but the larger handpieces have larger bearings and will handle much heavier and faster work with less runout.

The Dremel flex shaft tool is less expensive and faster than the Foredom, and was recomended to me by Grit Laskin. I figured, if it's good enough for Grit, it's good enough for me!

As for variable speed, yes, variable speed is handy for various materials, but I think you are better off with a single speed tool and a speed controle. The single speed tools are faster, and simpler so there is less to go wrong in there. Mine has a foot pedal that turns the tool on and controles the speed. I don't have to take either hand off the tool to start or stop it.

Sears sells Dremel tools under the Craftsman name. Often less expensive, and you get a good warranty with Sears. A few years ago I sent 2 Dremels to a reconditioning center near jPalm springs, and was pleased with what was returned to me. They just exchange your old tool for a reconditioned one, and the reconditioned tools were the newer (at the time) type 5 with sturdy bearings. I like these tools, but the ones I had sent in were about to make me swear off Dremel. I bought a B&D RTX, was happy with the extra power, but it burnt it's self up in short order. I haven't bought another one.

Thanks to all for taking the time to answer- I <promise> to look in old discussions for answers in the future, but will surely have questions as I generate sawdust!

jts