Thread: New to the Cafe

Unrepentant Dilettante Lee Callicutt's Avatar

Thought I should do the proper thing and introduce myself rather than just lurking about. #My musical background is electric and classical guitar. #I don't even own a mandolin yet, but the voice inside my head has been saying, "Go get yourself a mandolin and learn how to play it!" for quite a while now, and I figure old Lee isn't getting any younger, so . . .

Anyway, I discovered you guys a week or so ago and I've been slowly making my way through your postings ever since then to learn as much as possible to help me in this new musical venture of mine. #My compliments on a great resource.

Back to lurking and learning.

Lee
    Myrtle Beach, SC

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Welcome Lee!

Item 1 - learn to recognize the early stages of MAS (mandolin acquisition syndrome). So far, you're o.k. you only want one.

I've owned a lot of entry to mid level mandolins and the one I play the most is my Flatiron pancake. While I've never played a Mid Missouri mandolin, my bet (from looking at other's posts) is that the Mid Mo would be a very versatile mandolin for learning. Then again if you want to go electric you may need another mandolin to go with it. Uh oh, that makes two mandolins. . . Watch out!

fatt staying-tuned dad
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Thanks. #I figure I'll get some sort of learner A, f-hole to begin with and then a nicer F when the MAS (and a little playing ability) sets in. #

Lee

Welcome, Lee! If you had said, "The VOICES in my head....", I would have suggested you get a banjo. But, as long as there's just one voice in your head, you should do fine with a mandolin!

Welcome Lee!

Some great topics are found here to read up on from the fine folks at The Cafe' ! #Please, don't hesitate to throw in a comment here and there (or eve'rywhere) anytime! DO check out the Classifieds as well. I had made my first purchase of a Flatiron mandolin and was able to also sell one, thanks to the Cafe's Classifieds! Do be careful... the "eyecandy" in the Classifieds can really have you drawn in on some "Sweet" deals! Good luck! # #
    'Tis better to know that you have a True Enemy than to know to have a False Friend "...(quoted by unknown).

Blog Entries

Welcome, Lee. Don't hesitate to ask questions. I hope you've found the classical music section a bit lower on the board. That's a cool place too.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Must be the "DAY OF THE DAWG?" I, like Lee, have recently discovered you all. Keep up the good work. Watch out Lee - in less than 2 months of playing (convert from Guitar - also) have acquired 2 mandos. The latest a Weber custom Gallatin should arrive any day now. Good luck and keep up the great postings.

Loren
    Deville, LA

Welcome, Lee! I'm just a few hours away up in Rock Hill, though a relative newbie at this mandolin thing myself. If you come across any good jams or pickin' sessions in these parts, feel free to pass that info along. I'll do the same.

Happy pickin'!
    Chris

Welcome Lee! I've got a Johnson MA-120N listed in the classifieds for $90 plus shipping. Let me know if you are interested. This would get you a very functional instrument without paying alot of money. Then you can save up for bigger and better things. Good luck!
    Bryan

"Do or do not, there is no try" - Master Yoda

Lee, welcome to the Cafe Family. My name is Tony and I'm a banjo player. (Guitar, Dobro). Ok enough AA joking. Since I started playing the mandolin, my other instruments, for the most part, have lain dorment. The other day, blasphemy, I got my guitar out to help me work out an arrangement that would alluding me on the mandolin. This was the first time my great Tippen guitar has been out the the case for almost a month. Mando is so addicting as you will find out. Another great addiction is the Cafe. This place is a wonderful source of information, inspirtation, humor and disagreement (what good family doesn't fight some). Good luck on your new adventure. I will leave somebody else like Mark Lane (our resident pro at MAS) to explain MAS. Welcome again.
    Tony
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

Welcome,

Nice to meet you, and good luck with the MAS. It will get you at some point. #

Carrie
    Free Book Samples,Lessons,Tab,Mp3s and Video Lessons Now at
    www.bluegrassbooksonline.com

Good to have you on board brother...
    I came from the same place as you...electric guitar with a background in classical. You may want to browse the tabs for some familar classical pieces to start...and fire away with questions...
    I feel like I've learned 25 years worth of info in my short time (2 years) here...now, my playing hasn't advanced 25 years, but it is probably better then if I left myself in a vacuum.
    PeacE
    Brian

Thanks for all the warm welcomes and warnings. #I've already experienced GAS (guitar acquisititon syndrome that is -- not the other kind) way beyond my playing ability or need -- so I'm familar with the dreaded symptoms, and unfortunately I'm probably already starting to exhibit a few of them after cruising through the "eye candy."

Lee

...welcome to the fold....now get busy..youve got alot of catching up to do

I've followed the site for a few months but just registered. I'm 64 yrs old in Port Washington, Wi. In the late '60s I picked up an old Rex bowlback from my dad's music shop. I played it a few times a year or for a time every few years. April '05 a guitar pickin' neighbor took me and my Mt. dulcimer to a hootenany. He had me play his mandolin to "Just a Closer walk with Thee". I was hooked.
    I found a nice MK Legacy Deluxe in May '05 and have been playing every day since. I'm shopping for a Eastman A-O...I spent a couple of years in Honduras and you know what MAS means in Spanish....MORE....MORE....MORE....

J Zingsheim