Thread: Anybody playing a Jimmy Robertson mandolin?

I just bought a Jimmy Robertson mandolin. He is located in Eastern Ky and builds a few each year. I am mostly a fiddler, but I have been playing a Flatiron Festival F for several years with no regrets. I absolutely love the way this Robertson plays, and the tone is very nice, although it is not the chopper my flatiron is. I hope to improve this with some new strings and somewhat higher bridge (it is too low as it is now). THe thing is, I won't be able to keep both mando's due to finances, so I am wanting some feedback on the value of this instrument if i decide it is the one that has to go. I am new to this forum by the way, and I really like the setup here. Howdy to all from Western Ky. John

Default Re: Anybody playing a Jimmy Robertson mandolin?

Hi John! I bought one about 5 years ago, for something like $1250 which I thought was a very reasonable price. It sounds fantastic, loud, it has beautully figured back and sides, set-up could be improved for playing ease. I have no information about the luthier Jim Robertson either but heard that Ron Rigsby, a well known Bluegrass banjplayer from Eastern kentucky and probably his brother Don - a mandolin player - knows him well. best wishes from France! Dennis

Dear John and Dennis!
    Just bought one in the Netherlands from (Mr.) Boetzke snaarinstrumenten for the same amount in Euros. Sounds fantastic, too, and I also like the colour and finish.
    Mineīs from 2002 and the number is 66. I wonder whether it might be the same mandolin.
    Greetings from Germany
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wortmann View Post
    Dear John and Dennis!
    Just bought one in the Netherlands from (Mr.) Boetzke snaarinstrumenten for the same amount in Euros. Sounds fantastic, too, and I also like the colour and finish.
    Mineīs from 2002 and the number is 66. I wonder whether it might be the same mandolin.
    Greetings from Germany
    Frank
    Jimmy is my grandfather! So awesome to see posts about his instruments on here! Do you by chance have a picture you could post of the instrument. I would love to see!! Thanks

5. The following members say thank you to Chris robertson for this post:

Dear Mr. Robertson,
    it will be done as soon as I have located my camera somewhere in the household.
    Best wishes
    Frank

Dear Mr. Robertson,
    find attached two pictures of the really beautiful and great sounding mandolin your grandfather has built as no. 66. I couldnīn resist to some modern tendencies (armrest, tonegard), though they definitily harm the beauty of the instrument.
    I consider myself very lucky to own one.
    Greetings to Mr. Jimmy Robertson from Bonn (former capital of), Germany
    Frank Wortmann
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RobMando.pdf   RobMandoback.pdf  

Beautiful pics! I am going to have to play one of these!

Hello everyone, thought those of you who own Jimmy Robertson mandolins might be interested in this. As a grad student in folklore and historic preservation, I interviewed Mr. Robertson and included one of his mandolins in an exhibit I curated with fellow student Stuart Burrill. Here are a couple of photos he took for the exhibit (at the Kentucky Museum in Bowling Green). The third photo is my Robertson Mandolin (#79, 2005). If I remember correctly, Jimmy didn't really start making mandolins until he retired (from the construction industry I believe). He had a little workshop behind his house and made everyone of his instruments with hand tools (though he used a bandsaw to cut some of the larger pieces). He bought most of his mother of pearl inlay from a shop in Leitchfield, KY (Custom Inlay). The shop owner, Bryan England, is also a mandolin maker. Jimmy was a class act. And he was very kind to two grad students who loved his work. It paid off. We each bought a mandolin from him. He usually sold his instruments for between $700-1000. If you've ever played one, you know that's a steal. He told me once that he'd sold two mandolins to someone who turned around and re-sold them for twice the price. Pissed him off, and I can't say I blame him. I respected that man immensely. If you have one of his instruments, you are among the lucky few. Miss you Jimmy. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8420.jpeg 
Views:	94 
Size:	258.2 KB 
ID:	191385
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8406.jpeg 
Views:	78 
Size:	488.0 KB 
ID:	191386   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8298.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	253.8 KB 
ID:	191387