Thread: A 6th generation? :-)

As many of you know, last weekend we were in Providence, where the PMO gave the U.S. premiere of my Concerto per orchestra a pizzico; after the performance, we all gathered at the home of Maestro Mark Davis, where food, wine, good cheer —and, of course, mandolins— were in abundance.

Suddenly, out of the blue, while we were squatting around a table, happily munching away, a member of the PMO —if I recall correctly, it was concertmaster Josh Bell— hinted at my daughter (who was evidently much more interested in the Davis' cat, NOT all the mandolins around her ), looked at me and asked with a nod: "Perhaps a 6th-generation mandolinist?" I shrugged, smiled back, and kept on munching, the thought already gone from my mind a minimillimicrosecond later.

Yesterday, as I was working out my squeaky muscles on Sevcik —hardly a musical text to love— my daughter came into the room, gave me one of those unmistakeable looks of 100% honesty, 0% pretense, and asked in dulcet tones: "Some day, can I ALSO learn how to play the mandolin?" Incidentally, she is already an able violinist...

No promises made, of course, but it seems that the seeds have been sown... If she goes ahead with this, I will have all sorts of questions about the particular concerns pertaining to young mandolinists. Alex, my friend... brace yourself for many, many questions from me!
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

My younger daughter (10.5 years) -- a veteran of both piano and viola lessons -- is also interested in things plucked. Her current leaning is toward guitar but I may nudge her towards mandolin, or mandola (since she knows and reads the alto clef).

It will be interesting to see what happens.

Jim

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

... and then I can get myself a mandoloncello, and we can put together a quartetto classico and, hey, I've got some music already written for the group, and... WHOA! Victor hallucinating again; gotta take it easy on that retsina...

Best of luck with yours, Jim; mine is only 8, as you know, so her infatuations-du-jour are, ah... transient.

Ah, but with a little parental encouragement...

Also, our kids (at least my younger) is still in the phase where her father doesn't quite make her eyes roll inside her head, so there is still hope.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Ha Victor,

Ask whatever you want to know!

You have met Niels, our eight year old son. And although he is toying with the violin from when he was four, he told me he would like to join the CONSORT some day. #( )

Plucking strings is probably also in his blood...

Best,

Alex

PS. Indeed Jim, it is sure interesting to see what will come out of it all.

Is there a place for a piano player?

Sure! As long as your budding pianist watches out for good balance...

Make it a harpsichord and you're all set!

-Allen.
    Dayton Mandolin Orchestra: http://DaytonMandolin.net/
    Midwest Mandolin Quartet: http://DaytonMandolin.net/MMQ/