Thread: Any Input on this mando?

http://www.folkmusician.com/kedefmakm.html
    Hand-carved solid spruce top
    Hand-carved solid highly flamed maple back and sides
    Adjustable compensated stained rosewood bridge
    Extended 29-fret bound stained rosewood fretboard
    Maple neck with adjustable truss rod
    Newely designed, traditional style mother-of-pearl and abalone peghead "flower pot with flowing ribbon" inlay
    Traditional high-gloss sunburst finish
    Multi-ply binding on top, back and headstock
    Inlaid mother-of-pearl dot position markers
    Nickel-plated hardware
    Shop adjusted

"You can tell how a man plays by the way he carries his horn"
    ~sivaD seliM

Elderly.com has a KM-750 that is shopworn for $700. Might want to compare the two. #Other than that it's pac rim mando. #For the money their asking you might want to look at a Breedlove Quartz. #The BL would kill it in a side by side "tasting". #Check out the classifieds, there's a Quartz OF for $650 with a HSC. That is an absolute steal. #If it were an OO vice an OF it would be mine right now.

i have no clue what you just said.
    ~sivaD seliM

I'll attempt to translate...

Elderly Instruments (a shop in Lansing, MI) has a 750 seemingly identical save for block inlays on the neck and a different inlay on the headstock but other than that, it is new (but played in their store for as long as they've had it) and it is going to cost you less as a result of the in-store wear.

The Kentucky is built in Korea (I believe) making it "pac rim" (ie: Pacific Rim, inexpensive, low-wage, developing manufacturing countries).

He was suggesting looking at a USA built Breedlove (made in Oregon). I don't care for the looks of the Breedloves, your mileage may vary. His point was that (in his opinion) the Breedlove would likely sound better if played along side the Kentucky. This would likely be due to the fact that the Kentucky is probably very heavily finished (to make up for what could be less than stellar fit, many overseas built mandolins are finished with really thick, polyurethane varnishes which will eat the tone of the wood). Also, the foreign-built mandos are often built like tanks (heavy woods, thick top, backs and sides).

I suspect that the Kentucky would work just fine for you to learn on.

Gary,
    Thanks for the translation. That is exactly what I meant. Sorry for the confusion. My bottom line is if you're gonna spend that kind of money, spend it on something good that you won't "grow" out of quickly. Breedloves or similar mandos (rigels, parsons, mid mos) that are handmade in the good ol' USA will generaly get you beyond the beginer stage. And when things like tone, volume, finish, playability start becoming bigger factors you'll thank yourself in the end.

Professional History Nerd John Zimm's Avatar

I would like to counter this by saying that there are many of us who are not beginners, who play pac rim instruments, and are very content with them. I play an Mk Firefly Flame and I love it. You have to be more careful probably because if you don't play a lot of them, sometimes you will get a pac rim that for one reason or another isn't very good. But if you know what sound you are looking for, you can find a decent pac rim instrument that will sound like an instrument for which some people will pay many times the cost of a pac rim.

-John.
    Ah! must --
    Designer Infinite --
    Ah! must thou char the wood 'ere thou canst limn with it ?
    --Francis Thompson

I'm sorry in advance,
    Don't want to start any kind of this or that flame wars, but for that much money I think you'd be kind of foolish to get that mando. Let's ignore the Pac Rim debate for a while. You can get many more such mandos off ebay or in other stores for much much less. Remember that when you go to sell or trade up this mando you're going to get tons less than you paid for it. Just look around for a while. If you're dead set on the FStyle for under a hundred (see numerous posts warning against this) you can get one for a couple hundred less than this one used. Much better way to go. At least that way if you ever want to move up (and the instrument is in GREAT condition) you'll be able to get back what you put into it.

I will also say that it's your choice how you spend your money. But you could do much better. The one from elderly sounds like a much better buy. But then again for the money you have theirs a Gibson A9, Rigel A Natural, and a Breedlove for less than that mando. The kentucky's can be great mandos, but there is a lack in standards in the manufacturing. These listed previously are a little better known for their consitency with the exception of the A9.

Please take all of this as my opinion. I played a lot of those instruments looking for my first mando. They all sounded pretty good. But no comparison to my Rigel A+. Maybe I have a great Rigel or maybe those were just bad Pac Rim examples. But I have played a bunch of them and other high quality instruments. Best of luck to you.
    Paul

I think I saw a Gibson A9 in the classifieds for around $850-which is probably a better investment. There is no guarantee that the Gibson will have better sound, although it very well may, but the Gibson will probably have greater resale value.
    Here's the link: http://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin....trieval

There is also this Breedlove in the classifieds: http://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin....trieval

No financial interest. In my inexpert opinion this seems like a fine price.

-John.
    Ah! must --
    Designer Infinite --
    --Francis Thompson

Also,
    I'll put in a plug for Dale since he's not here. Contact him when he gets back into town. He'll nicely go over the finer points of all the pac rim instruments that you're considering

Seriously talk with him or some of the other cafe dealers such as Ken Cartright, etc. They are great folks. You're helping the community and getting to know some nice folks. Dale has plenty of sweet mandos in your price range.

***Financial interest disclosure...I'm also about to put up my Rigel A+ Standard. Just a little bit more than the Kentucky you were looking at, but with a radiused fretboard, added tone gard, American made, pick up, etc. A great value from a SWEET instrument****

If not me then certainly look at the Gibson, Rigel, and Breedloves on the classifieds and talk to Dale before making any big decissions. Thanks,
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by
    I'm also about to put up my Rigel A+ Standard.
    Sounds like a funding for another mando, perhaps? Do tell!

thank you guys for all of your input. keep it coming.

i had just assumed that "kentucky" was made in... well... kentucky. duped i tell you, ive been duped.

American Made is definitly something i want. Im going to call a few people and try to get in order my priorities and go from there. Im now looking at Breedloves, MidMos, and Gibsons.

Why do i feel like my GAS (guitar aquisition syndrome) is quickly going to turn into MAS...
    ~sivaD seliM

jpsy,

If "Made in America" is high on your list of mando priorities, you gotta be careful... there are lots of mandos out there with American-sounding names that, simply, aren't. "Kentucky," "Michael Kelly," "Morgan Monroe"... these are all Asian imports. Even as American a name as "Fender" has their mando line bult in Asia. I tell you this just as a heads-up, to be aware of what you're actually buying. If you're interested in specific brands and models, there are countless folks here at the Cafe that can help you separate the American-mades from the imports.

NOW, having said all this, PLEASE UNDERSTAND what I'm about to say...

I, like many here, don't believe there's anything inherently "wrong" with owning and enjoying a Pacific Rim mando. There are many very good ones available for, literally, a fraction of the cost of an American mando with equivalent features... and I'm not just talking entry-level axes, either. Many, I believe, are true, professional-grade instruments which, for numerous and various reasons, you'll most likely never see the pros playing in concert and on TV (different topic altogether!).

Now, I'm not telling you TO BUY Pac Rim... I'm not telling you NOT TO BUY Pac Rim... I'm not even recommending one way or another. I'm telling you to KNOW what you're buying, and why... names can be deceiving!

Welcome to our world, my friend!
    "Ah, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now." -Bob Dylan

I have to agree with Loren on that Breedlove Quartz in the classifieds. $650 WITH CASE INCLUDING SHIPPING!
    Great deal for someone on a quality instrument.
    If I was in the market I would be all over that one.

Well, will you look at that! Its gone. O.k. people- who bought it???

maybe jpsby422 did whilst we explained the in and outs of perusing and purchasing mandolins of varying caliber!

---

actually, there is an OF on ebay for 599 at ze moment - if you were interested.

Alan

Just to toss in my two cents.....

Just after Christmas I purchased a new Kentucky 675s. In the store I was pretty pleased with the sound considering that it was a new F syle in my price range. When I got it home I was filled with "Buyer's Remorse" in that the sound was very weak and the neck a little narrow. After trying to adjust my thinking for about 3 months, I finally decided that this mando just wasn't gonna cut it for what I wanted in tone and playability. Largely based on information gathered on this forum, I traded in the Kentucky for a Breedlove OF and have been totally thrilled with it ever since. Granted it doesn't look as "cool" as an F, but it has all of the features I had been missing in the Kentucky. Such as a wider, radiused ebony fingerboard with fatter frets, no fingerboard extension under the sweet spot to name a couple. This is a sweet mando.

The advice given by most of the folks here to look into an A style for the same money as an inexpensive F is good advice. It's surprising how unimportant the scroll becomes when you consider the playability and tone of a good, inexpensive (relatively) American-made A syle.

The Rigel A Natural is another great example, I just kinda liked the Breedlove better.

Like I said, just my two cents

Dave

Registered Person

Well spoken.

I was the one with the Breedlove OF for sale, but made the tragic error of taking the mando out of its case and playing it ("just one more time") - an hour later (and with no nibbles yet from any interested purchasers) I decided to keep the mando. No seller's remorse here.
    Bob Tuttle

We understand. It could have happened to any one of us.

-John.
    Ah! must --
    Designer Infinite --
    --Francis Thompson

Hey Rtuttle, that's very funny. I have not actually ever sold a mando either. I have one up for sale now only under extreme pressure. The only reason I am doing it is because I have my eye on another one and my wife has caught on that even though I tell her that I buy them only at bargain prices for re-sale, I have not actually ever sold one.
    It has become a neccesity to move one out in order to facilitate bringing more in. A tactical move, which should, with any luck, result in more mandos. I am not proud of this manouver, but it has to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by (atetone @ April 06 2004, 16:12)
    Hey Rtuttle, that's very funny. I have not actually ever sold a mando either. I have one up for sale now only under extreme pressure. The only reason I am doing it is because I have my eye on another one and my wife has caught on that even though I tell her that I buy them only at bargain prices for re-sale, I have not actually ever sold one.
    It has become a neccesity to move one out in order to facilitate bringing more in. A tactical move, which should, with any luck, result in more mandos. I am not proud of this manouver, but it has to be done.
    this board needs a histarical laughing smiley.

you guys are hillarious, i love how you and your wives have this almost battlefield when it comes to your mandos.

i can only hope that when i have a wife, i can lie cheat and steal my way to a successful MAS. except my problem is that i also have GAS (guitar) PAS (percussion) BAS (bass) SAS (saxophone) and AAS (accessories)

i think i have ASAS (aquisition syndrome aquisition syndrome)
    ~sivaD seliM

I, like many here, don't believe there's anything inherently "wrong" with owning and enjoying a Pacific Rim mando.

It's a sensitive subject, I know, but there may very well be something inherently wrong with buying a Pac Rim mando depending on which country it comes from.

If you buy a Kentucky, you are buying a Chinese product, and are directly supporting some pretty poor working conditions. Obviously the factory workers don't make any where near as much money as these things turn around for, but also I wouldn't be surprised as China has poor labor laws if young children are involved in its production.

As with Nike shoes and countless other products American's consume, there is a high but unseen human cost. Would you want your 12 year old daughter working in a factory for 10 cents an hour or whatever?

Hopefully as the Chinese economy evolves, so will their labor laws.

If you buy Pac Rim, at least but from a country with half-way human labor laws i.e. Japan or Korea.

Yep, China on all new Kentucky's. I used to have a couple Korean made Kentucky's and they were just fine, about the quality of a MK. The only China-made one I've owned (for a camper) was an absolute disaster. Finish as thick as a candied apple, and horribly bad fretwork. Took hours just to get it playable. I traded it for next to nothing, and felt like I got away with something. Look at A9s, Breedloves, Rigels, etc.., unless you find a Japanese Kentucky at the same price, which is doubtful. Frank
    FJ Russell

Es mejor morir de pie que vivir de rodillas. E. Zapata

I played a KM 1500. It was a great mandolin. I don't know what they are bringing today, but mine was around $1500 circa 1993.