Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Very Old Family Mandolin

I only suggested Vega because I had a mandolin banjo neck made by them with the same shape . I also have seen several Vega bowlbacks in my travel and noticed the similar shape on them.

Glen:
    No need to apologize. I think many of us do agree that there is a similarity to the Vega headstock. Other aspects of this mandolin do not correspond to Vega. Vega also was fairly consistent in its styles of bowlbacks. Some of the larger Chicago companies, however, made large quantities of instruments under their own name or under others. Therefore, it is always a good bet to ascribe no-name instruments to Chicago companies: Lyon and Healy, Regal, Kay Harmony and the like.

I do like to do the detective work on this. The more I look at these mandolins the less they all look alike.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Indeed, Glen. I thought your noting the similarity in headstock shape to some Vega pieces was worthy of thorough reply, and I intended no slight in my reply. I appreciated your thoughtful input.

I see NAT?ONL but I have not had my coffee yet
    Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

http://prancing-pony-agency.freeservers.com/

No offense taken and I wasn't apologizing. I learn a lot from these postings. It looks like Vega did some style copying as well. There is not a lot of instruments to look at in Nova Scotia, but I have seen a few old Vega Cylinder backs and Bowlbacks. Original Italian instruments, not common here.

Have a Great Christmas everyone.

So.....has everyone agreed that we don't know what it is really but it's not terribly valuable and it may be from the early
    1900's? Sure has roused a bunch of discussion- I appreciate all your efforts! Sue

Exactly, Sue. I believe it is almost certainly American and possibly by Jersey City's Oscar Schmidt Co., but this latter bit is speculation.

Registered User steve V. johnson's Avatar

Just out of curiosity...

Do you folks know luthiers in Sue's part of CA who could close those cracks in her mandolin?

Fascinating thread, thanks!

stv
    steve V. johnson

Culchies
    http://cdbaby.com/Culchies
    The Lopers
    Ghosts Like Me
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers1
    There Was A Time
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers2

What is her part of CA, Steve? I am sure that there is someone competent to do the work. As always, it always depenfs on how much it would cost to do the work.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

San Diego area...I know a guy named Chris Camp out here..think I mentioned earlier - he builds guitars. Don't know anything more than that re: his craftsmanship. It's just hard to part with a family thing, but it's on my New Year "get it done" list!! My Dad recalls that this mandolin may have come from an anitique store (would have been late 50's or very early 60's if that's true) in Virginia now. I thought it had come from my grandparents. Ugh!

I buy Eugene's guess at Oscar Schmidt. The elongated bowl is part of my reasoning.

Sue - contact me offlist (via the website link below this post) and I'll try and help you with luthiers around San Diego.
    ph

º º º º º º º º º º º º º º º
    Paul Hostetter, luthier
    Santa Cruz, California
    www.lutherie.net